U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 07:49 AM

50 posts, read 61,926 times

Advertisements

I'm getting a pretty good idea of where my husband and I can afford to live in portland, but now I was wondering if anyone could give me some more info on the different neighborhoods in regards to the type of people who mostly live there, the schools, the shops/restaraunts. We would like to be in an area where the people are about natural living like us. Plus my husband would like to know where would be the best place to live that he's close to hiking/parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 02:42 PM

358 posts, read 364,487 times
There are a lot of neighborhoods in Portland. More specifics on what you're looking for would be helpful for narrowing it down and making suggestions. What kind of people, shops, restaurants, etc?

Old 11-17-2013, 10:21 PM

6,468 posts, read 10,483,929 times
Where are your jobs?

And please define "Natural" living. Does that mean nudist "natural" living? Vegan "natural" living? Away from the city with acres of land around you and the nearest neighbor a mile away "natural" living?

What kind of hiking? 1 mile? 2 miles? 5 miles? 10 miles? Easy, Moderate, Hard hikes? Dirt or paved paths?

Old 11-18-2013, 02:06 AM

19,305 posts, read 20,181,791 times
As opposed to "unnatural living" I guess. Sorry, "natural living" just sounded so odd to me I just couldn't resist.

Seriously now, OP, you state you have an idea of what you can afford but if you want information as to what neighborhoods would be suitable for you, that would be a start as to information helpful for others how to advise you. There are just too many neighborhoods of varying kinds for anyone to go through a long list of features without your narrowing down to more specifics.

Another thing you could do is Google Portland neighborhoods. There are many great websites that will describe Portland neighborhoods in detail. When you find some you like, you can come back here and ask more detailed questions about them pertaining to your needs.

Old 11-19-2013, 05:27 PM

50 posts, read 61,926 times
Our price range is $250-310k. Natural living to us is a vegetarian lifestyle for my daughter and husband. My husband is an avid hiker so he wants somewhere within 10miles to go on 40min hikes or more. Nothing extreme. We want to be in an area where we have access to grocery stores, coffee shops, and hopefully located where there is a more abundant amount of people who live an organic/vegetarian/vegan lifestyle,

Old 11-19-2013, 11:35 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,531,588 times
There are tons of Portland neighborhoods that fit the bill. Can you name a few you have interest in?

Old 11-20-2013, 12:12 AM

19,305 posts, read 20,181,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by promise44 View Post
Our price range is $250-310k. Natural living to us is a vegetarian lifestyle for my daughter and husband. My husband is an avid hiker so he wants somewhere within 10miles to go on 40min hikes or more. Nothing extreme. We want to be in an area where we have access to grocery stores, coffee shops, and hopefully located where there is a more abundant amount of people who live an organic/vegetarian/vegan lifestyle,
Most Portland neighborhoods have access to grocery stores, coffee shops and small businesses. If you want to be within walking distance, all you would have to do is pick a block or two close to one. That can be in any neighborhood. If you are driving, you won't be more than ten minutes away from a supermarket.

As far as the amount of organic/vegetarian/vegan lifestyle people lead in any given neighborhood, that's kind of a tough one. I don't know how to determine that without knocking on doors and asking. There are those types in every neighborhood but then the people next door to them might be meat eaters. Many homeowners in many neighborhood have gardens, some even keep chickens. This is all over Portland and not confined to any neighborhood.

People here don't call that "natural lifestyle" as much as they call it a choice of lifestyle. Why not Google something along the lines of "vegetarian living in Portland?" If you are looking for like minded people you might come up with something there.

Hiking trails are all within less than ten miles with the closest in the city limits in Forest Park. There are many others at any distance you might want as you travel out of the city.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:26 AM

165 posts, read 253,547 times
There are several neighborhood buying clubs in Portland for organic food. You might want to google them and see where they are located. You could probably call the contact member and get more information about the neighborhoods. Here's a search that I did to give you an idea. Portland Area Food Buying Clubs yardsharing.org

Old 11-20-2013, 02:25 PM

37 posts, read 43,613 times
Check out the Hawthorn and Belmont district in SE Portland. I believe you will find that has what you are looking for. Good walks around Mt. Tabor. But then take a 20 minute drive and hike to your hearts desire in the gorge.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:38 PM

4,063 posts, read 3,783,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaeve View Post
Check out the Hawthorn and Belmont district in SE Portland. I believe you will find that has what you are looking for. Good walks around Mt. Tabor. But then take a 20 minute drive and hike to your hearts desire in the gorge.
With current prices you're not going to find much in that part of town within the OP's stated price range of 250-310k. Condo maybe. A small 2B/1Ba around Tabor is going to run over 250, and the question about schools implies they have kids.

If you're looking that area, Montavilla perhaps. But most of the city market under 300k is pretty squeezed right now, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland