Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:13 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,729,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplwh View Post
Definitely slower than NYC! People are polite and there are tons of help at most stores - which is disconcerting to a NY'er used to being ignored or finding themselves in a near employee-deserted store.

Can't speak to the greyness thing as we are new here - but the weather has been fab! Ask me again in April.

Great seafood, but the pizza is sad...sorry, don't mean to offend. Can't find a decent margherita or plain slice anywhere unless you ask specifically to have it made for you (plain not the margherita). The style is definitely all their own, just not Italian/NY enough for me. On the other hand, the seafood is to die for!
And there is more Mexican and Thai food than you can shake a stick at. Go figure...

Sadly, bagels are ok, and haven't found a knish yet.
Have you tried Escape From NY Pizza on NW 23rd. I know the original owners were from NYC. I'm not sure if it's traded hands or not. 20 years ago it was a land mark on NW 23rd. But now it kind of gets lost in all the trendy hip shops.

For Knish did you check Kornblatts also on NW 23rd?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 02:40 PM

91 posts, read 435,011 times
I haven't, but I will! Thanks for the info.

Old 11-27-2007, 02:07 AM

2 posts, read 5,286 times
I moved to Portland from in July after living in Brooklyn (Brighton Beach, Sheapshead Bay and Coney Island) for 28 years except for college in Buffalo, NY. So far, I enjoy it. It is a pretty city and it surely has the city in the forest vibe going for it. After living in Buffalo for 8 years I am immune to whining about weather conditions and the non humid summertime was the first time in my life I was able to sleep without air conditioning.

My biggest problem, as of now, is that it has been very difficult for me to meet people (admittedly, this has never been my strong suit). I had always thought PDX would be a welcoming city for an eccentric self proclaimed pseudo-intellectual like myself, but so far that hasn't been the case.

The young people here who do the whole subculture thing seem to just apply it as a garment in a very plastic fashion- but this was true in NY. The hipsters of Portland are identical to the hipsters of Williamsburg Brooklyn, but perhaps the parents of the vain have pockets with a bit less depth here. I look at it all with a very suspect eye, knowing these nouveau hippies nowadays are just a few years off from complete terminal yuppie hood.

The diversity in Portland is also a facade for the segregation and deep generational racism that many seem to have in their blood. Like other posters here, I was pushed out of NY because, besides being an aesthetic nightmare, I could no longer afford to live there, and I was literally the only English speaker within many blocks of affordable housing. I expect racism throughout America so it is no surprise - except when it comes from the mouth of some unexplored mind who has decided to be an overwhelming activist for extolling the virtues of an animal free diet. That is the type of irony which should keep people from falling asleep at night.

I really love the food here. I can get great meals from a mind boggling variety of great restaurants here for literally a tenth of the cost that some of the rackets in Manhattan would have you pay. For that, I will gladly go without "real" pizza while I am here. Also my apartment is bigger than all of the places I have ever lived combined and a third of the price. Another welcome bonus.

Finally, the whole live your life to bike and hike mentality does seem extremely alien to me, but certainly not without merit. I do plan on exploring some of the lush greenery of the surrounding environs in the coming months. Perhaps that will help take the edge off of my virulent realism.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:35 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,142,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpatico! View Post
i was just wondering about the pizza and bagels dilemma. i know there are more important things to worry about, but a new york bagel or pizza slice is so good!
When I lived in SF I had a friend from New York that complained incessantly about how she couldn't find a good bagel in San Francisco. I guess I've never had a really good one, 'cause they seemed fine to me...another case where ignorance is bliss, I guess.

Old 11-27-2007, 09:22 PM

252 posts, read 949,864 times
I grew up in Phoenix which has a huge population from NYC. IF There are good bagels and pizza in Portland it is news to me. I eat pizza and bagels every time I go to Phoenix, along with kosher deli and Mexican food. I think the Mexican food is awful here too.

I've had Escape from NY and Hot Lips and Pizzacatto and Flying Pie. All popular but not what I grew up with.
Noah's Bagels, Kornblatts and Rose's don't cut it for me at all.

I have an email pen pal on Long Island and our weather is somewhat similar except we have many more cloudy days here. We are gardeners so we talk about the weather a lot.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:58 AM

111 posts, read 234,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee151 View Post
I grew up in Phoenix which has a huge population from NYC. IF There are good bagels and pizza in Portland it is news to me. I eat pizza and bagels every time I go to Phoenix, along with kosher deli and Mexican food. I think the Mexican food is awful here too.

I've had Escape from NY and Hot Lips and Pizzacatto and Flying Pie. All popular but not what I grew up with.
Noah's Bagels, Kornblatts and Rose's don't cut it for me at all.

I have an email pen pal on Long Island and our weather is somewhat similar except we have many more cloudy days here. We are gardeners so we talk about the weather a lot.
Well, the weather may be similar as far as the temperatures (at least this time of year), but I don't think you guys in Portland can look forward to getting buried in snow!

Old 11-28-2007, 02:48 PM

12 posts, read 45,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudester View Post
I moved to Portland from in July after living in Brooklyn (Brighton Beach, Sheapshead Bay and Coney Island) for 28 years except for college in Buffalo, NY. So far, I enjoy it. It is a pretty city and it surely has the city in the forest vibe going for it. After living in Buffalo for 8 years I am immune to whining about weather conditions and the non humid summertime was the first time in my life I was able to sleep without air conditioning.

My biggest problem, as of now, is that it has been very difficult for me to meet people (admittedly, this has never been my strong suit). I had always thought PDX would be a welcoming city for an eccentric self proclaimed pseudo-intellectual like myself, but so far that hasn't been the case.

The young people here who do the whole subculture thing seem to just apply it as a garment in a very plastic fashion- but this was true in NY. The hipsters of Portland are identical to the hipsters of Williamsburg Brooklyn, but perhaps the parents of the vain have pockets with a bit less depth here. I look at it all with a very suspect eye, knowing these nouveau hippies nowadays are just a few years off from complete terminal yuppie hood.

The diversity in Portland is also a facade for the segregation and deep generational racism that many seem to have in their blood. Like other posters here, I was pushed out of NY because, besides being an aesthetic nightmare, I could no longer afford to live there, and I was literally the only English speaker within many blocks of affordable housing. I expect racism throughout America so it is no surprise - except when it comes from the mouth of some unexplored mind who has decided to be an overwhelming activist for extolling the virtues of an animal free diet. That is the type of irony which should keep people from falling asleep at night.

I really love the food here. I can get great meals from a mind boggling variety of great restaurants here for literally a tenth of the cost that some of the rackets in Manhattan would have you pay. For that, I will gladly go without "real" pizza while I am here. Also my apartment is bigger than all of the places I have ever lived combined and a third of the price. Another welcome bonus.

Finally, the whole live your life to bike and hike mentality does seem extremely alien to me, but certainly not without merit. I do plan on exploring some of the lush greenery of the surrounding environs in the coming months. Perhaps that will help take the edge off of my virulent realism.

Rudester, I like the way you write! I live in Park slope now, for 8 years, and in that so little of time, so many people have been pushed out/or pay ridiculous amounts of money for a 600 square foot apartment.

5th avenue even has a new citibank! and the people that walk down the streets are clearly your hipsterish types - but with loads of money!

I basically cannot wait to get out of nyc, if only for some crisp clean air.

thanks for your input.

Old 11-28-2007, 05:27 PM

8,799 posts, read 21,205,573 times
5th avenue even has a new citibank! and the people that walk down the streets are clearly your hipsterish types - but with loads of money!

I pass that new Citibank everyday on my way to school. We maybe have even passed each other ?!?!?

Old 12-03-2007, 05:54 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,875,949 times
Hey Rudester, I am Portland bound and an intellectual, maybe you, me and Simpatico can meet up and flex synapses after April 2008. Have to warn you though, me and the GF we are into the whole bike/hike thing which is why we are interested in Portland in the first place. But that doesn't mean we don't also love good bookstores and existential debate. Ciao.

H (&J)

Old 12-05-2007, 11:26 AM

12 posts, read 45,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

I pass that new Citibank everyday on my way to school. We maybe have even passed each other ?!?!?

Possibly! I am always on 5th avenue. I used to work at Long Tan Thai restuarant, which is right on Berkely Pl/Sackett Street.

Maybe we should meet for a drink and do some portland talk in Brooklyn!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland