Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 02:32 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,601,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
A better approach to the Ross Island Bridge is from the south, from Barbur Blvd., Capitol Hwy. or Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy., which might be more convenient to Beaverton, Tigard, or southwest Portland.
Agreed about Barbur. If you come from I-5, the "official" Ross Island Bridge exit is the South Waterfront exit (299A). Then you have to do that crazy snaking along Macadam to Hood then to Kelly for the bridge onramp. It's ludicrous.

I've found it better to take the Corbett Ave. offramp (298), then take Corbett to Hamilton, which gets you to Barbur. Then it's an easy shot to the RIB onramp (although it too can get backed up, especially in the afternoon).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 01:22 PM

13 posts, read 17,470 times
Thanks for all the info. We settled for an apartment complex right off the 26 in between Hillsboro and Beaverton. Palladia.

Her position will be located in Hillsboro. She will be the floating Nutritionist for three offices. So I want her to have the easy commute.

Looking at it the best bet would be to figure out how the 26 gets to the Ross Bridge. Everyone I have taken to says it is about 30-60 minute commute in to Milwaukie depending on traffic.

Other than that this has moved pretty smoothly and fast. Should be in Oregon by 2nd week of December.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:21 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,868,701 times
I'm just not understanding this. How can you possibly have found a place to live yet? I just Googled Palladia to see about the travel time. I couldn't help but notice that of 10 reviews none gave it more than 2 stars out of five. Most were 1 star. Yikes. Seriously, why on earth would you want to make so important a decision as where you are going to live, sight unseen? Most of the exits feeding 26 are controlled by signals. I am not sure about the 185th st. exit. Whenever I've used it I get right on the freeway. Most other Hillsboro exits into 26 will be backed up 15 minutes before you even get onto the freeway (in rush hour). I'm not exaggerating. Right now Google says 27 minutes to Milwaukie. That of course would change on a weekday. As one who has driven 26 into Portland many times, I'm telling you, if you do not have the stomach for cruising the center lane till just before your exit and then dashing in, forget about the 60 minute drive time. Add an extra 30 minutes for waiting through the Terwilliger curves. Google says to use the Marquam bridge, not the Ross. Adds a slight amount of distance, but Google usually knows what it's talking about. FWIW.

H

Our doctor lived in a complex at John Olsen Blvd. between Cornell and Evergreen. Pool, fitness center, wetlands, close to Whole Wallet and Streets of Tanasbourne Mall (REI). They seemed happy there.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'm just not understanding this. How can you possibly have found a place to live yet? I just Googled Palladia to see about the travel time. I couldn't help but notice that of 10 reviews none gave it more than 2 stars out of five. Most were 1 star. Yikes. Seriously, why on earth would you want to make so important a decision as where you are going to live, sight unseen? Most of the exits feeding 26 are controlled by signals. I am not sure about the 185th st. exit. Whenever I've used it I get right on the freeway. Most other Hillsboro exits into 26 will be backed up 15 minutes before you even get onto the freeway (in rush hour). I'm not exaggerating. Right now Google says 27 minutes to Milwaukie. That of course would change on a weekday. As one who has driven 26 into Portland many times, I'm telling you, if you do not have the stomach for cruising the center lane till just before your exit and then dashing in, forget about the 60 minute drive time. Add an extra 30 minutes for waiting through the Terwilliger curves. Google says to use the Marquam bridge, not the Ross. Adds a slight amount of distance, but Google usually knows what it's talking about. FWIW.

H

Our doctor lived in a complex at John Olsen Blvd. between Cornell and Evergreen. Pool, fitness center, wetlands, close to Whole Wallet and Streets of Tanasbourne Mall (REI). They seemed happy there.
All those reviews were money based. Folks angry about rates going up every year. I know two coworkers who lived there and a third, new coworker from wife's new job, recommended the place. Those reviews and the price for a two bedroom two bathroom two car garage unit seemed good enough. Nothing is permanent either. We plan to go up and look next weekend. If we don't like it, we may loose a deposit, that's it. If it is nice, well we are ahead of the moving game.

I appreciate the honesty with the traffic. It sounds like I am going to get the worst of the commutes.

What about early travel? Say I arrange to go to work by 7? Would this help?

Old 11-23-2013, 11:31 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,381,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Agreed about Barbur. If you come from I-5, the "official" Ross Island Bridge exit is the South Waterfront exit (299A). Then you have to do that crazy snaking along Macadam to Hood then to Kelly for the bridge onramp. It's ludicrous.
I wouldn't rely on Barbur though, yet another death on the road means something has got be done on it. Too many people using it to bypass I-5 traffic is making it a dangerous road for all users. Even if it's just a matter of adding bike lanes and remodeling current bridges across some of the gulches, that is going to be a lot of construction issues in the next few years.

Barbur Boulevard 'road diet': Readers respond to plan to remove Southwest Portland car lane | OregonLive.com

Opinion: Another death on Barbur | BikePortland.org

Edited to add this link: SW Barbur Blvd is one of the City's 10 designated High Crash Corridors

Old 11-23-2013, 11:53 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,087,328 times
I'd say your route might depend on where in Milwaukie you're working. If it's out near I-205, I think taking the freeway all the way I-84 to I-205, though further, is quicker than driving surface roads. You're also not (once you're in Portland) going in the direction with traffic.

But ... I have a feeling you're just going to have to deal with some extra-long commutes until you figure out the quickest, and easiest route for you to take. Maneuvering through town from Hwy 26, and eventually on to Hwy 99 which goes south to Milwaukie, does not exactly involve smooth, direct connections.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:38 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,585,423 times
Given your situation, it wouldn't have been my recommendation on where to land.

Palladia is a decent complex, structurally and aesthetically. As for management, I can't say specifically, though I'd be suspicious of management for all those complexes in Tanasbourne. They seem to get fairly high turnover, and they don't seem shy on raising the rates every time the lease is up (part of the cause of the churn), and going after deposits when you move out.

With the hospital now open right across the street I'm curious if they'll get much noise from emergency vehicles. But at least the years of construction noise will be done.

There's two complexes that meet Leisesturm's description - Creekside at Verandas, and Commons at Tanasbourne. The former always had great reviews for management in the past, though with the market the way it is I wouldn't be surprised if it's slipping. But in any case, Creekside in the past always had a long waitlist. I think we were on their list for 8 months before getting a call.

In terms of distance Palladia is actually closer to Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc. and still a short hop through a park to reach the wetlands. You can walk or bike to the majority of services. (Though be somewhat cautious at intersections if you're doing either along Cornell or Evergreen.)

So the local amenities are essentially the same for all the complexes in that area.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:52 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,585,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
But at least one of you should live close to work? No? At the moment I live close to work, but my better half does not. I make the meals and do the housework. If we both had commutes from hell it would destroy our finances pretty quickly as we would eat out to excess and be tempted to hire cleaning help or gripe at one another about the state of the house. FWIW.

H
The hitch with your situation for you is that there's really not any viable alternative route when 26 bottles up, which it will. Though to a point I'd say you're correct that the geography and poor road layout don't give you a great swath of options if you're trying to give one of you an easier path. So it's nice you're willing to take one for the team.

Whether it's stressful or not for you partly depends on your personality and how you drive. If you're a very safe driver, you'll be stuck in the right lane on 26 watching cars fly by only to cut in line in front of you a mile ahead. If you can be zen-like you'll lose time, but not be stressed. If you're the typical American driver who fumes at the injustice, you'll probably be stressed.

If you're the unsafe driver you'll be coming down the hill at 55-60 in the rain, trying to swerve over and cut into a line of traffic creeping along at 10 mph. Assuming you don't actually crash, people will honk at you or flip you off, which will perhaps raise your stress, or perhaps make you feel exulted that you beat all those chumps waiting in line safely and responsibly.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
Given your situation, it wouldn't have been my recommendation on where to land.

Palladia is a decent complex, structurally and aesthetically. As for management, I can't say specifically, though I'd be suspicious of management for all those complexes in Tanasbourne. They seem to get fairly high turnover, and they don't seem shy on raising the rates every time the lease is up (part of the cause of the churn), and going after deposits when you move out.

With the hospital now open right across the street I'm curious if they'll get much noise from emergency vehicles. But at least the years of construction noise will be done.

There's two complexes that meet Leisesturm's description - Creekside at Verandas, and Commons at Tanasbourne. The former always had great reviews for management in the past, though with the market the way it is I wouldn't be surprised if it's slipping. But in any case, Creekside in the past always had a long waitlist. I think we were on their list for 8 months before getting a call.

In terms of distance Palladia is actually closer to Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc. and still a short hop through a park to reach the wetlands. You can walk or bike to the majority of services. (Though be somewhat cautious at intersections if you're doing either along Cornell or Evergreen.)

So the local amenities are essentially the same for all the complexes in that area.
Thanks for the info on the complex. I have lived in my fair share of interesting complexes. (Google Sun Valley NV). This one looks light years ahead of any apartment we have lived in. If management is the only problem, we should be just fine.

I like hearing the groceries are close. The wife is in the nutrition field, so to say the least we are excited to be in a nutrient rich environment.

Old 11-30-2013, 01:19 AM

58 posts, read 66,316 times
Sorry, commuting from Beaverton to Milwaukie would be absolute hell. Don't do it. Plus honestly it's really not that great of a burb IMO, it's very much chain development and stripmalls with big 4 or 6 lanes roads in between. I worked in SE (close to the milwaukie edge) and commuted to Tigard, and that wasn't that bad, but the opposite commute seemed more dense and there just is no direct way into milwaukie.

Downtown Milwaukie is rather charming actually, just avoid anything near mcloughlin past Park unless you are closer to the river. Lake Oswego would be a great alternative right in the middle for you, but it's expensive. I would definitely look in that area over Tigard and definitely Beaverton, or you will both spend your days driving lol. Between the two, Tigard is the better bet, as long as you stay close to 99w, I took that up and crossed over the Sellwood and it wasn't too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland