Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:40 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the replies. I'm not worried about my dog on the roads, that was more for my info. I've never driven in temps this low, aka ice or snow, so wanted to know what to expect on the road and damage to my car.

As for the dog, I know the chemicals can be harmful to their paws and mine likes to lick his feet when they're wet. I don't want him ingesting any of that stuff. So if PDX normally puts down chemicals I know to wipe his paws or put on booties. If they don't then I don't have to worry about doing either. Also, my stupid dog loves to eat things off the ground. I don't need him eating that stuff either.

Thanks for all the feedback. This winter is going to be a crash course on how to live in a colder climate than we're used to (me and my dog).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 02:36 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Many winters, it's not even a concern. The thing you have to look out for most, though, is the black ice. Snow's not a big deal, but if there's black ice ... that's a problem. But like I said, it doesn't happen often. Certain areas are more prone, but most areas of the city, it just doesn't get cold enough.

Should it snow, and they gravel the roads ... keep an eye out for other cars kicking up the gravel (once the snow's gone) and hitting your car with it. And that's something with the snow and black ice ... you have to worry more about the other cars than you do about the conditions themselves. Keep an eye out for idiots at all times in inclement weather.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:12 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,823,925 times
Bridges, areas of the road in shade are also black ice hazards.

The general advice for driving on ice and snow in the PDX area is: do less and do it much slower. Quick corrections of the wheel will get you into trouble, and trying to slow down WHEN you are on ice will as well.

Be prepared for the "tire chain slalom" the day after an ice/snow event. People who don't put the chains on correctly lose them and they litter the roadway. You don't really want to run over one, if you can avoid it.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:18 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm not worried about my dog on the roads, that was more for my info. I've never driven in temps this low, aka ice or snow, so wanted to know what to expect on the road and damage to my car.

As for the dog, I know the chemicals can be harmful to their paws and mine likes to lick his feet when they're wet. I don't want him ingesting any of that stuff. So if PDX normally puts down chemicals I know to wipe his paws or put on booties. If they don't then I don't have to worry about doing either. Also, my stupid dog loves to eat things off the ground. I don't need him eating that stuff either.

Thanks for all the feedback. This winter is going to be a crash course on how to live in a colder climate than we're used to (me and my dog).
If your walking with your beloved pup by the water, don't let him eat on any Salmon carcass which may be laying around. It could kill him. Be careful, darlin'...

If your pup did/does ever eat on a Salmon, get him/her to a Vet quickly.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 AM

121 posts, read 162,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Be prepared for the "tire chain slalom" the day after an ice/snow event. People who don't put the chains on correctly lose them and they litter the roadway. You don't really want to run over one, if you can avoid it.
So I'm curious....in general, how often are you chaining up? About once a winter? More? Less?

Old 11-26-2013, 01:34 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
I've never used tire chains, and this will be my 19th winter here. I don't ski; maybe people going up the mountain have to do it.

Old 11-26-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc0624 View Post
So I'm curious....in general, how often are you chaining up? About once a winter? More? Less?
Depends on where you live and where you are going. Up in the foothills, out in the Gorge, more often, stay in the flat parts of town, less often.

In 26+ years, I'd say I had to chain up maybe 10 times around town (far more going up into the mountains to ski). Of course, in the beginning - back when tire chains were actually chains and abominable to put on - I had a set of studded tires for icy (not snowy) days. Those would stay on the car for a couple of days to week and then get pulled off. Now that ice and snow tires are better, I have a winter set for my AWD car and they go on in the winter instead of studded tires. I still have chains (as is required by law over the passes in winter), but I don't think I have put them on in 5 years or so.

A lot of people from heavy winter places sneer at Portland drivers, but if you came from a state where there is a hard snow pack on the roads for months at a time, the conditions ARE NOT THE SAME. The metro area here goes through freeze and thaw cycles where, in the (relatively rare) worst weather, you get a thin layer of snow that melts into slush, refreezes and then gets freezing rain on top and patches of bare but very wet road. That is just nasty.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:02 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderbygrace View Post
If I recall right, they don't use salt, because it leeches into the waterways and causes havoc with our ecosystem. That's also the case in other areas of the country, but I know in places like the Midwest, the environment simply isn't that big of a deal, compared to out here.

Wrong - Salt does not "destroy" the environement. It can be managed just fine.
Salt is a reasonably cost effective solution to a road maintenance problem that occurs due to much snowier, colder weather hanging around for a long period of time.

Weather in PDX is so mild that there is no need.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:22 PM

It's been cited as both an environmental concern and a rusting concern (for bridges, infrastructure and vehicles).

ODOT plans to use salt for first time to clear snow from two Oregon highways | OregonLive.com

ODOT and the cities get hit unfairly every year, either because people say "with weather this mild why do we have a fleet of huge plows and sanding trucks just sitting around?" or "why don't we have enough large vehicles to cope with this? It's ridiculous that the roads aren't clear."

Old 11-26-2013, 06:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Word of advice to the OP who is not used to walking on snow and ice. Walk on the grass. Even covered with snow it's safer because it's lumpier, warmer underneath than the pavement and there is less chance you will slip and slide and fall walking on the sidewalk which can have ice hidden under the frozen snow. I learned that the first year I moved here and discovered people aren't as likely to shovel or clear their sidewalks as they are in Chicago where I was used to being able to walk on them even in after heavy snow storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: