Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,536 times

Advertisements

Portland is a wonderful city and the weather may be overcast & gray but no freezing winters, no humid summers and no heavy rain like the NE. A great city with personality, charm and gorgeous scenery.......

Old 11-19-2008, 12:31 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
I've just got to ask ...

Since Portland supposedly gets this nine months straight of rain, does this mean that it'll be raining non-stop through August (at this rate, anyway)?

Old 11-19-2008, 01:14 AM

199 posts, read 800,687 times
this is too funny. You say this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss61 View Post
Only in the Northwest, would I encounter an argument about women's rights. Hey man! That argument was already won. I have already employed hundreds of people, started many businesses, managed non profit corporations. Don't waste precious time telling me what I can't do. We (women) have already done it. Get to work on other issues that need you.
and wonder why you encounter this:

Quote:
I had to talk with the landlord about the last incident and had to argue with him to convince him that he has some responsibility to protect me.

Women don't have to do anything to invite these immoral, shamed based men into their lives. But Portland has invited them here. This town has sent out an invitation and it's been accepted.

You need to carry pepper spray, if you are going to live in Portland. It is the sad truth. There is no one to protect you. Most men will not stand up for you; they are so wounded and so oversold on sex that they can't tell the difference between honor and addiction to sex and alcohol. Too many men have lost their way. Too many men believe this is normal behavior and they slap each other on the back and make excuses for each other.

If we don't comply...well they can just get on a tour bus for Russia or Southeast Asia. Search the Haper's Bazaar article about the undercover journalist who went on one of the thousands of tours so that some American men can buy a better wife. After all, it's the women in this country that have failed...right?

All women are prey...just easy prey in cities like Portland.

I keep asking them..are you going to be in a strip club when the next terrorist attack comes?

It's one thing if you don't care about my life or my body as your sister and fellow American but how do you live with yourself?

If you are one of these men living in Portland...you need to start showing up for relationships with your wives, sisters and daughters and you need to find your way home...to yourselves...so we can love and respect you again.
in case you can't put 2 and 2 together, as one of those "lost" men, I will spell it out for you. Women have proven themselves as equals. They don't need men who generally just get in the way and mess things up. Since they can do everything else as well as men, they can include "look after themselves" in that. You really think that it's "men" who are engaging in this sexually aggressive behavior? Wrong. It's a minority of loser thugs who have always existed, and in past times would never think of pulling the sh*t they can today, as they were out numbered by "good" men who would never let that kind of thing fly. Well those days are over. By lumping the behavior of a bad few with all "men", you have made even the good ones into your enemy. Nice job. Remember, anything a man can do a woman can do twice as well with half the effort (or whatever the stupid quote is). Well here is your chance! Protect your self against the thugs! Clearly you don't think that today's "lost" men are going to help you. I concur.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:12 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cn1221 View Post
These forums are meant to show an opinion of a city both positive and negative. Unfortunately there are people in Portland who have an attitude that their city is the best in the world and can do no wrong. This isnt true. Portland has problems like every other city. So I created this thread for people to post what they don’t like about Portland.

Portland Negatives:

Gloomy weather 9 months of the year that will depress you if you have SAD (seasonal affective disorder).

Economy in Oregon is never good. If you are looking for high paying jobs in Oregon you should look elsewhere.

Politics in Portland is extremely liberal. This might be a positive if you are a liberal.

Schools are underfunded in Portland. Public schools in Portland have had to shut down early because of a lack of funding.

Too many homeless people in downtown Portland. Also Portland has problems with homeless children.

Traffic is continuing to get worst. The I-5 bridge into Vancouver was rated the worst bottleneck on I-5.
I'm sorry but I don't have SAD, and the weather still depresses me. You have to not be human for it not to depress you, honestly. ALL of my friends who grew up there say the same thing. Even my friend who loves Portland and still lives there, he is able to joke about it and it doesn't "bother" him but he doesn't like it, either, he finds it depressing he just finds the other pros of Portland to outweigh it.

People who think Portland is the greatest city around are really kidding themselves. Any city with that crappy of weather is eliminated from the running, not even in the top 100.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:17 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
You cannot speak for anyone else, as to whether they're kidding themselves or not. It's not your place.

Your opinion is not universal truth.

Old 11-21-2008, 12:25 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
No it isn't but I do have the opinion to think that many Oregonians are bat-sh** crazy to think Portland is a great place to live. It's a place you live if you just can't do any better for now, or if you have enough money to get the hell out of there most of the winter and go to nice weather climates. My dad has spent all of his 66 years in Portland, and he runs a business headquarted in Portland, so he can't up and move, but he can fly to his place in Cabo any time he wants and escape the miserable weather, which makes it bearable. Growing up in Portland was horrible. I would never subject anyone to having to endure years and years in that kind of climate. I just wanted to sleep all winter (i.e. 9 months) and wait for the summer.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:30 AM

199 posts, read 800,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
No it isn't but I do have the opinion to think that many Oregonians are bat-sh** crazy to think Portland is a great place to live. It's a place you live if you just can't do any better for now, or if you have enough money to get the hell out of there most of the winter and go to nice weather climates. My dad has spent all of his 66 years in Portland, and he runs a business headquarted in Portland, so he can't up and move, but he can fly to his place in Cabo any time he wants and escape the miserable weather, which makes it bearable. Growing up in Portland was horrible. I would never subject anyone to having to endure years and years in that kind of climate. I just wanted to sleep all winter (i.e. 9 months) and wait for the summer.
I think if I won the lottery and money was no issue, I wouldn't move. I'd just buy a home up in the west hills and chill out. If the rain really got to me I'd take some drives over the Cascades. If that wasn't enough, I don't know, I'd just keep going south till I got to acceptability. I don't need this "Cabo" to get by. But I guess I might be a freak.

Yesterday we had some stunning liquid sunshine at 2-3pm on the eastside. The beauty was just unparalleled, the way water coated the urban landscape and reflected stunning white light. Though I'll admit the rain can be annoying when it's too heavy and it soaks your clothes and makes it so you can't take pictures without ruining your equipment. There are ways around this, but yea it's a pain. But the scene I saw yesterday, common in winter, is much more rare in other parts of the USA. Can't speak for the reast of the world.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:03 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
I don't know what you're talking about, I like this weather. I stand at the window and watch the rain, and smile. Colorado Weather was nice, but after a few months of sun (cold or hot) you'd look outside and yell "Do something, I'm tired of seeing the same thing day in and day out"...then it would snow a few feet and think to yourself, "well, careful what you wish for".

You want hellish weather, go to Florida in August. In my opinion Caribou Butt Alaska in the dead of winter beats Florida all year.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:15 AM

5 posts, read 16,203 times
We have rats in Portland. Cockroaches too. All kinds of nasty **** that city's breed. I grew up in Portland and have lived here 25 of my 29 years. We have a rat problem. So much that if you live in Multnomah county the county will come out and give you traps free of charge. I have lived in SW/SE/NE/N/NW its all the same everywhere you go. Animals that live underground are far more common then you might think.
Portland is the best. Forget the rain. Get on a bike. Leave your car at home and Light up while riding!
Flashy lights front and back.
Build with Cob
CM

Old 11-21-2008, 11:26 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
I wouldn't call it snobbery per se. But I have had two different native P'landers, from two very different backgrounds, explain to me that people here tend to make most of their friends when they're young and aren't particularly interested in making more. Which sounds odd to me, but it explains the inexplicable attitude toward social groups.
Odd but true. I have a good friend who is a Portland native. She has many friends as far back as her grammar school days with whom she socializes constantly. However she will not include me or her other "transplanted" friends with that group.

Go figure.

I still hear my native friends say they don't want people moving here. Considering the 7% unemployment situation which has been projected to go to 10% ( I heard this on the news) I can see at least one reason for that attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland