Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city should I move to?
Portland, OR 11 47.83%
Austin, TX 5 21.74%
Asheville or Chapel Hill, NC 2 8.70%
Seattle, WA 5 21.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 08:40 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
I am curious as to what exactly folks mean by "open mindedness."
It means anyone who's contemplated, or actually voted, Democrat according to these forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 08:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
"Haven of open-mindedness." I doubt if any such place exists on this planet or any other. It certainly would be nice though.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:20 PM

86 posts, read 266,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Thoughtful post, Nightdiver! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Yankeemama!

Old 12-15-2013, 07:57 AM

130 posts, read 207,314 times
i just visited portland, and now i'm in austin to check it out, too. @passivepugilist, i actually turned down the tri-cities job, and have an offer in central seattle downtown area, too.

I liked Portland. The traffic was nothing compared to Chicago. It was comfortable, easy to get around, and people were SO Friendly!! I ran in front of a car by accident, and the car didn't honk or yell. It came to a complete shrieking stop and let me pass. They're friendlier there than the Midwest, where I'm from!! Amazing! I loved all the independent businesses, coffee shops, and food carts. It seemed a bit more run-down/grungy and less cosmopolitan than Seattle, and I didnt see that many hipsters or cyclists as I thought I would. I only saw the sun peek out once for 10 minutes the 2 days I was there, and the houses all looked like small ranches, though I didn't venture out to the burbs.

Honestly, it would be an easy decision if Oregon did NOT have a 10% income tax. I want to be happy where I live, and I loved the beauty and all else mentioned above in OR, but I don't think the extra 10% (over 10,000 dollars) justifies the increase in cost of living there. Oregon seems to cater to low income people. I have $300,000 in student loans, so though I make a lot, I do not take home much. I have an offer in Longview, WA, as well as central Portland, so I figure if I live in Vancouver, I could still be near Portland w/o having to pay 10% income tax. But I heard ppl call Vancouver "Van-tucky," which does not sound appealing, and I hear Longview has a giant methadone problem, and lotsa crime, which wouldn't be easy for me to work as a female rxist.

I dunno the cities very well, but I actually think I like Seattle more...Pike Place, more diverse.... but Portland ppl were really nice and it felt more homey... I think Id actually save more money living in Seattle vs Portland b/c of the no state income tax in WA, despite Seattle's higher COL. Do you guys like Seattle or PDX more?

I'm checking out Austin now, we'll see... It's okay so far, but the highways are a lil scary and there is a ton of traffic, which I hate. The ppl here are amazingly good-looking out of all the states I've lived. Strange lol.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:38 AM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,201 times
We're glad you like our city. A few other thoughts
Quote:
I think Id actually save more money living in Seattle vs Portland b/c of the no state income tax in WA, despite Seattle's higher COL.
You need to run the numbers more carefully, with good information in hand, and a calculator.
Do you plan to buy or rent in Seattle? Keep in mind that the state income tax is fully deductible from your federal tax. So is the mortgage interest. Rent, on the other hand, is not. Oregon has steep income tax, but no sales tax, so the impact of the former is somewhat reduced.
Property prices are noticeably less in Portland than in Seattle.

Quote:
there is a ton of traffic, which I hate
Seattle has the 4th worst traffic in US, and 3rd worst on the mainland (after LA and Bay Area)

Quote:
Do you guys like Seattle or PDX more?
We like Seattle a lot, but prefer to live in Portland because life is better and easier here (cheaper, less traffic, no "Seattle Freeze")
Seattle is a nice place to visit couple of times a year, though.

On a similar subject - a recently active thread "Has anyone move away from Portland..." touches on this very subject.
The originator complains about Portland because he claims "he could be making extra $20K somewhere else"
Another poster on that thread says he prefers living in Houston because he "can afford 3000 sf house, in which he hangs out with his friends and family" (AC turned on at full blast most of the year).
Well, each of us needs to answer for ourselves: what is more important: McMansion and 12mpg SUV, or living in a civil, safe and friendly city surrounded by amazing natural beauty. It's a matter of priorities.

Last edited by skiffrace; 12-15-2013 at 10:05 AM..

Old 12-15-2013, 11:31 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
While Oregon has income tax, the total tax burden is higher in Washington.

You really shouldn't just look at one type of tax.

Old 12-16-2013, 01:44 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gookgette View Post

I liked Portland. The traffic was nothing compared to Chicago. It was comfortable, easy to get around, and people were SO Friendly!! I ran in front of a car by accident, and the car didn't honk or yell. It came to a complete shrieking stop and let me pass. They're friendlier there than the Midwest, where I'm from!! Amazing! I loved all the independent businesses, coffee shops, and food carts. It seemed a bit more run-down/grungy and less cosmopolitan than Seattle, and I didnt see that many hipsters or cyclists as I thought I would. I only saw the sun peek out once for 10 minutes the 2 days I was there, and the houses all looked like small ranches, though I didn't venture out to the burbs.

I dunno the cities very well, but I actually think I like Seattle more...Pike Place, more diverse.... but Portland ppl were really nice and it felt more homey... I think Id actually save more money living in Seattle vs Portland b/c of the no state income tax in WA, despite Seattle's higher COL. Do you guys like Seattle or PDX more?
I'm trying to figure out where you were where the homes were all small ranch homes.....By your "grunge" description I assume you only spent time on the east side, yet the east side is filled with old Craftsman houses, unless you were in far out SE, which would also explain some of your other perceptions....

If you have the opportunity I'd also consider checking out SW and NW Portland, which might give you a different perspective.

I'd also reconsider basing your move on the income tax. As was mentioned there's no sales tax and you also have to consider things like car insurance, registration, food, heating, water, rent, etc. before deciding one city is more than another.

I really like Seattle and visit often. But I chose Portland over Seattle when I first moved here due to quality of life. It also depends what your job field is. Both are nice places.

Old 12-16-2013, 04:23 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
Honestly, it would be an easy decision if Oregon did NOT have a 10% income tax. I want to be happy where I live, and I loved the beauty and all else mentioned above in OR, but I don't think the extra 10% (over 10,000 dollars) justifies the increase in cost of living there. Oregon seems to cater to low income people.
Oregon has a marginal tax rate of 9.9% but only on taxable income over $125k (250k for couple).

All taxable income between $7950 and $125k is taxed at 9%. Voila, I just saved you $1,000 bucks.

On 30k gross income one's effective income tax rate is around 7.6%, on 100k it's 8.6%. That's hardly the epitome of progressive brackets that would 'cater to low income people.' Edit: And note that Oregon allows you to deduct mortgage interest on a 2nd home. There are lots of small loopholes like this that I think actually make it functionally regressive.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:26 PM

130 posts, read 207,314 times
You can deduct state tax from federal tax? So how would that be, if federal tax is about20% and Oregon tax is about 10%, we'd only have to pay 10% net tax? I don't know much about taxes and deductions, etc.. if someone can help me out.

I figured COL in Seattle would be the same as PDX, factoring in OR's 10$ tax. No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
We're glad you like our city. A few other thoughts

You need to run the numbers more carefully, with good information in hand, and a calculator.
Do you plan to buy or rent in Seattle? Keep in mind that the state income tax is fully deductible from your federal tax. So is the mortgage interest. Rent, on the other hand, is not. Oregon has steep income tax, but no sales tax, so the impact of the former is somewhat reduced.
Property prices are noticeably less in Portland than in Seattle.

Seattle has the 4th worst traffic in US, and 3rd worst on the mainland (after LA and Bay Area)

We like Seattle a lot, but prefer to live in Portland because life is better and easier here (cheaper, less traffic, no "Seattle Freeze")
Seattle is a nice place to visit couple of times a year, though.

On a similar subject - a recently active thread "Has anyone move away from Portland..." touches on this very subject.
The originator complains about Portland because he claims "he could be making extra $20K somewhere else"
Another poster on that thread says he prefers living in Houston because he "can afford 3000 sf house, in which he hangs out with his friends and family" (AC turned on at full blast most of the year).
Well, each of us needs to answer for ourselves: what is more important: McMansion and 12mpg SUV, or living in a civil, safe and friendly city surrounded by amazing natural beauty. It's a matter of priorities.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:45 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
Quote:
You can deduct state tax from federal tax? So how would that be, if federal tax is about20% and Oregon tax is about 10%, we'd only have to pay 10% net tax? I don't know much about taxes and deductions, etc.. if someone can help me out.

I figured COL in Seattle would be the same as PDX, factoring in OR's 10$ tax. No?
It's only deductible if you itemize, and even then it's a deduction from income (below AGI but above 'taxable income'), not a tax credit. There's no 20% marginal bracket, but assuming you were in the 25% marginal bracket, a $9,000 state income tax liability would leave you saving about $2200 off your federal tax.

Actual COL is hard to compare since it depends on what choices you make, not to mention what 'value' you assign to what you're paying. On paper Seattle COL is going to be a bit higher, especially if you're buying. But that said, if you enjoy the Sound, Seahawks/Mariners games, and people watching at Pike Place, it's probably money well spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland