Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 08:39 PM

416 posts, read 871,479 times

Advertisements

I moved from the San Francisco Bay Area, and brought my California salary up with me to PDX.

Cost of living is faaaaaaar cheaper than than where I came from. Housing, for example, is 55% less in PDX than it is in SF.

Very happy with the move I made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 12:41 AM

59 posts, read 136,870 times
I've only lived here for about 4.5 years, and haven't actually moved away. However, thanks to the rising cost of housing, I've put the possibility of doing so back on the table. My wages haven't even come close to keeping up with housing costs in particular, and things are getting awfully thin around the margins. It is only one of many possibilities I'm considering at this point though.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:25 AM

584 posts, read 1,340,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Oh, ok. Pulleeze! Enough already. The blame game is overplayed on this board. Yes, I am a born and raised San Franciscan and guess how many transplants live there? I don't blame all of them constantly. That would be a waste of time and energy.

It is not about the people but the state of California.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:19 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBC View Post
I moved from the San Francisco Bay Area, and brought my California salary up with me to PDX.

Cost of living is faaaaaaar cheaper than than where I came from. Housing, for example, is 55% less in PDX than it is in SF.

Very happy with the move I made.
Lucky you, that is the best way to do it, move from a high dollar place like SF and take the salary with you so that you can live like you are wealthy in Portland.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:53 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Either that, or live simply and save your money, and you won't have to worry in the future about having to move away due to COL.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:53 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
One of my high school buddies sold his 3 br. house in Portland and bought a 6 br house in Bismarck, ND, with money left over. This was before the oil boom. He needed a really big house because of a blended family. He found a job there with a defense contractor that paid more than he was earning in Portland.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:57 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Either that, or live simply and save your money, and you won't have to worry in the future about having to move away due to COL.
I'd like to do that, but housing and childcare take up well over half of the after-tax household budget.

If I'd bought a house in 2000, and/or not had children, we'd have a lot more financial flex.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:58 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Yes, it is cheaper. It isn't in the same league either. You are ignoring the 3rd coast. Houston is closer to the ocean than Portland. Google Earth Visit sometime it aint that bad.
Houston survives on federal money. Oil leases and defense contracts bring in $billions a year. Portland doesn't receive any comparable welfare payments.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:59 PM

577 posts, read 669,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
ccjarider-- Concerning the cost index I used the following link to calculate the measurement.
Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

christiner81--We are similar as I am not much into the city culture. We have been to the coast dozens of times but rarely venture downtown.

The underemployment is the big issue. We continually are losing $20+ a year. It is hard to justify this kind of loss and may have to make a decision that will be sorrowful
I would use this comparison calculator

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The one you posted doesn't seem very accurate (for rent prices, anyway). It says that housing is "42% less" in Orlando. Having lived in both Orlando and Portland, that's not true. I've found them to be about the same, possibly even a bit less in Portland (and you'll be closer to downtown). It also says housing in Boston is only 30% more than Portland, and that the cost of living is exactly the same in Chicago, which isn't true in my experience.

Last edited by Yac; 12-20-2013 at 05:50 AM..

Old 12-12-2013, 03:00 PM

210 posts, read 251,776 times
Yeah, and you are free to take your self-congratulatory attitude back to CA whenever you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland