U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 01:08 PM

4,063 posts, read 4,125,377 times

Advertisements

p.s. Personally I would choose Kerns over Pearl/NW. You're close enough to bike (or quick bus) into downtown/PSU for your husband's commute or trips to the Saturday market/restaurants/Living Room theater/etc, but not stuck actually being in that much more congested area full time.

Getting in/out of Northwest during rush hour or a Timbers game is a headache, imo. Likewise, if you find work east of the river, you'll appreciate not having to commute across the bridges - even 'reverse commuting' on some of the major roads is far from a breeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 12:31 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,729,210 times
For what it's worth I used to live in Kerns until last Feb. Now I live in the North Pearl and hands down as someone who prefers to walk everywhere and use public transport, the Pearl wins. I use zipcar half of what I needed to use it for in Kerns and pretty much everything I need is walking distance from me (including Target now that it's downtown). I generally walk to NW 23rd or 21st a lot too. Kerns is walkable and has good bus lines but it's more of a suburban neighborhood. Depends what you want. If you want a yard, house and street parking Kerns wins. If you want more city access Pearl wins.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:56 AM

6,415 posts, read 9,907,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
For what it's worth I used to live in Kerns until last Feb. Now I live in the North Pearl and hands down as someone who prefers to walk everywhere and use public transport, the Pearl wins. I use zipcar half of what I needed to use it for in Kerns and pretty much everything I need is walking distance from me (including Target now that it's downtown). I generally walk to NW 23rd or 21st a lot too. Kerns is walkable and has good bus lines but it's more of a suburban neighborhood. Depends what you want. If you want a yard, house and street parking Kerns wins. If you want more city access Pearl wins.
Nice assessment. I've not lived in either (but have friends who do), but that would have been my guess about the differences in the two.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:34 PM

780 posts, read 1,257,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denty View Post
Thanks for responding!
So let me clarify, I only heard that Kerns was a nice place to live, but I dont have a specific neighborhood in mind. I will check out the ones that everyone listed. We are in our early 30s with no kids-yet. My husband would work at PSU and I would have to find a job. We would like a house/apt with 3 beds a 2 bath. I'm not sure about renting prices out there, but we could maybe pay 2k/month or a little more if its amazing.
Any recs to go saturday night for dinner and then music/bar that would give a good feel for chill portland nightlife?
Thank you again for the help!!
If you want one of the best views of the city, Portland City Grill (30 stories up in Big Pink) would be a good option, but anticipate a $100 bill for the two of you. The food is great IMO, but I'm not a high-end foodie (my palate is perfectly happy with Olive Garden..haha), and those that I've heard from think the food is only average for that price range.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denty View Post
Any recs to go saturday night for dinner and then music/bar that would give a good feel for chill portland nightlife?
Thank you again for the help!!
In downtown, some good choices are Gruner, Higgins, Raven & Rose, and one of my old-time favorites, Cassidy's. Outside of downtown: Lincoln, Beast, the Farm Cafe ... or tons of other places.

As for music. Depends on what you like. Jimmy Mak's for jazz. Elsewhere, depends who's playing ... but the Doug Fir, White Eagle Saloon, Mission Theater, Secret Society Ballroom. Or, pick up (or look online) at a Willamette Week or Portland Mercury for what's playing where.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:01 PM

6,468 posts, read 11,015,345 times
I'm a huge fan of both Oba! and Andina in the Pearl. You can go down to Vault for martinis and taps for the child nightlife scene.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I'm a huge fan of both Oba! and Andina in the Pearl. You can go down to Vault for martinis and taps for the child nightlife scene.
I hope you meant "chill" lol.

Old 12-13-2013, 02:33 PM

169 posts, read 149,211 times
i'd try sellwood

Old 12-14-2013, 05:48 AM

6,468 posts, read 11,015,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I hope you meant "chill" lol.
Well, sometimes it's child-like after some of those people get a few martinis in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland