Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 11:10 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I don't understand why Oakland is such a great match. Have any of you spend much time there?!
A little bit, but based on what the OP is looking for, there are some really good parts of Oakland that would be a great fit, especially if the OP can get a good paying job in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 11:18 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,906,908 times
Rass33- my family from CA asks me the same thing?

Old 01-02-2014, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,094 times
Hmmm...

I am a single black woman with a mixed race child. Am I to believe that Portland would not be a good move for us?
due to tension and racism?
I must admit I'm very surprised especially since I am from Virginia lol.

This is unfortunate to hear because I really have my eyes set on Portland. I plan on visiting during the summer to be sure. I wasn't planning on moving for another 3 years... (Still working on my nursing degree and want to work here in my area for experience before moving)
Ya'll are making it sound like blacks are not even welcomed in Portland... that is sad.

I have tattoos, cannabis lover, I'm very laid back, I love music and the arts, I love everyone no matter who they are or what they look like. (Not that any of that matters....and def not my reasons for wanting to move)
Anyway, I thought Portland would be a good move for me. I've only heard great things. A friend of mine who has lived in Portland (has family there) and is now in Washington did not mention any of this. I'm going to ask her about this as well.

Very interesting, indeed.....

Last edited by CurvyEyez; 01-02-2014 at 07:09 AM..

Old 01-02-2014, 07:28 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
I grow so weary of the "there aren't a lot of black people living here so it's not a good place for blacks to move" attitude. With that kind of advice, how will there ever be?

Old 01-02-2014, 07:45 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,896,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
I grow so weary of the "there aren't a lot of black people living here so it's not a good place for blacks to move" attitude. With that kind of advice, how will there ever be?
I just grow weary of the discussion in the first place. I lived in DC, "Chocolate City," and got to hear about the "black experience" from a lot of people. I think Portlanders just don't give a crap. That doesn't mean they are racist, it just means they aren't jumping through burning hoolah hoops to learn about your "struggle" and "experience." And I think this not giving a crap rubs many black folks the wrong way into thinking that Portland isn't a good place for blacks to live.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:55 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,629,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurvyEyez View Post
Hmmm...

I am a single black woman with a mixed race child. Am I to believe that Portland would not be a good move for us?
due to tension and racism?
I must admit I'm very surprised especially since I am from Virginia lol.

This is unfortunate to hear because I really have my eyes set on Portland. I plan on visiting during the summer to be sure. I wasn't planning on moving for another 3 years... (Still working on my nursing degree and want to work here in my area for experience before moving)
Ya'll are making it sound like blacks are not even welcomed in Portland... that is sad.

I have tattoos, cannabis lover, I'm very laid back, I love music and the arts, I love everyone no matter who they are or what they look like. (Not that any of that matters....and def not my reasons for wanting to move)
Anyway, I thought Portland would be a good move for me. I've only heard great things. A friend of mine who has lived in Portland (has family there) and is now in Washington did not mention any of this. I'm going to ask her about this as well.

Very interesting, indeed.....
My neighbor is your situation exactly. And she loves it here. What it comes down to is there isn't a large black population here. If you aren't into having friends of all types it won't work out for you. It has nothing to do with blacks not being welcome here. Im sorry that people are getting that impression. I have mixed race children (not black) and the only stupid thing we've ever encountered is "are they yours?" Other than that no one cares.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:59 AM

159 posts, read 409,076 times
Curvyeyez, most black people in Portland fall into three categories: acceptance, embrace and retreat.

Acceptance is generally adopted by older black people (50 and older) who were born and raised here in Portland. Most were around during the pre-gentrification days in North Portland and grew up in the small black community in that area. They understand that Portland is a "white city" and that the small black community here is politically and culturally marginalized. In places like Chicago and NYC, if the black community has any grievances, those city governments are compelled to address those grievances because the black communities in those areas are large and significant. Because there's not a lot of blacks in Portland, no such dynamic exist concerning the black community. Throughout the years, older black Portlanders have grown to accept it as just a part of life living in an overwhelmingly "white city". They are most likely to be able to handle the real or perceived racial slights and injustices experienced throughout the city and accept things as it is without challenging the powers to be.

Embrace is generally adopted by college educated blacks (18-50) living in Portland. These are the ones who are most likely to accept Portland as a lifestyle city as opposed to an ethnic city. These are the small group of blacks who you generally see enjoying the "Portland experience" in terms of attending festivals, bars, and many of the cultural and social events taking place around Portland. They are also the most likely to be employed in the city of Portland and associate with whites on an equal basis. Educated black Portlanders are also likely to be either dating or married interracially. But because the black community in Portland is so small, they are also most likely to be less conspicuous in the overall social life of Portland. You will see them here and there throughout the city but there numbers are so small that you wonder how much they exist at all.

Retreat is generally adopted by younger blacks between (14-39). These are the mostly poor and uneducated blacks living in the Portland area. Most live in north/northeast Portland but because of gentrification are being pushed out towards the Gresham area. These are the blacks who are generally unemployed and are comfortable living the "ghetto lifestyle." This is the worst group to be apart of because there is no platform for the urban ghetto lifestyle in Portland, Oregon period. In Chicago and NYC and other areas with large black populations, the urban lifestyle is more accepted, here in Portland wanting to live that lifestyle will generally earn you severe isolation and nobody will ever want to hire you. Portland is the worst city in the world for blacks who adopt that mentality. Many lifestyles ( gay, environment, political, etc.) are accepted here in Portland but the ghetto lifestyle is not one of them. Most blacks in Portland who live this lifestyle generally associate with other ghetto blacks or whites (felony flats) and Hispanics (Rockwood) of ill-repute.

Ask other blacks living in Portland and they will pretty much tell you everything I just said. If you can share in the "Portland lifestyle" you will do well here regardless of color. If you are one of those people who are firm and committed to some "ethnic inclusion theory" and want to talk about race all the time than Portland is just not the city for you. Portlanders are not very sociable but they are nice enough. I'm a black male living in outer southeast Portland and I get treated with the same dignity and respect as anyone else. Trust me its nothing to be worried about. Its different living in Portland but you will be fine here. Its got a lot of unique aspects about it that makes it a very appealing place to live.

Last edited by rass33; 01-02-2014 at 11:25 AM..

Old 01-02-2014, 11:39 AM

Great post, Rass. I agree with your post however, I have to say that another difference between growing up on the West Coast, which I did in S.F. as opposed to living in a big city such as NYC is that the covert racism is detrimental to one's identity. S.F. has quite alarge population of arm chair liberals who are not as accepting as the S.F.P.R. Machine would like you to believe. After living in NYC with a minority majority, I realized how white S.F. really is. Portland by comparison makes S.F. look like NYC. The real racism I have encountered here is very real and I do not live in the ghetto. I live in a middle to upper midde cass neighborhood but the racist things people say regularly, is shocking to anyone who has lived in real diversity. I have been here four years. People who don't lie to discuss race, EVER, just keep up appearances but are not progressive. Portand is progressive in so many ways but not race. These are my personal experiences/ observations and my opinions.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:02 PM

Oh, I am getting old... didn't complete my thought. Ha. Anyways, without growing up with a strong racial identity it is difficult for any person of color or mixed race to embrace themselves, connect to their heritage, create true diversity in such a homogenous environment such as Portand. I loved NYC for the true understanding of one's culture. The racial, ethnic and religious identities are so very important there and without apology. I believe that is what makes NYC a truly international city. I worry about my hometown, S.F. as it becomes more and more rich, white and less family friendly. L.A. is much more diverse. Seattle is becoming a lot more like S.F. and Portland doesnt even compare to other West Coast cities. My husband and I have woven our cultures and religious beliefs into our day to day lives so our kids do not grow up in denial or confused about where they come from. They see their relatives often and we travel to see our friends and family in diverse cities. We expose them to a diverse group of people that we socialize with here. Even taking these steps... I sometimes worry that Portland is not the most positive place for mixed race people. So far my kids are very interested in learning about their cultures, languages and faiths. Not talking about identity is detrimental to one's personal growth.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:05 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,660 times
This post is less about racial relations, more about the OP state of mind.
Quote:
Seattle devils ran me out of their city
in one sentence, ethnic dislike
Quote:
Ethiopian invasion
in the next, anti-gay sentiment
Quote:
I think Seattle wants to be gayer than SF
in the third.
He should be told "you have unresolved emotional issues, seek psychological help, get some friends, try to reconnect with your family".
Instead he is cajoled and appeased, like a kid with temper tantrum "Johnny, please don't break that window and we'll buy you a new iPad"

How would this thread go if he skipped "the Seattle devils", "most miserable/hateful experience of my adult life", "Ethiopian invasion", "Seattle has a hatred/racism problem", and posted something like this?

"I am a finance professional who thinks about moving to Portland. I currently live in Seattle and experience firsthand the infamous Seattle Freeze. I am an environmentally conscious cyclist, atheist, and love the Pacific Northwest. Any advice how would I fit in your city?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland