U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 07:58 PM

159 posts, read 340,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow925 View Post
Imho...it's really not that bad being black in Portland. I moved here this summer to be closer to some family and I like it...People say the black population here is so small and coming from upstate NY it's kinda true but I feel it's exaggerated you'll see plenty of us in the North, and due to gentrification outer NE, SE areas (82nd, Powell, Division) and so on. Anyways I guess everyone has a different experience but for the most part mine is very positive I'd say it's worth a visit!

I like it here a lot too. But outside of those areas you mentioned Portland lacks any real diversity at least where African Americans are concerned. True, were still visible in north Portland but I live in outer Southeast and I can count the number of blacks I see on my hand. Gentrification has moved the black community out of North Portland and towards Powell and Division but outside of those areas and NE hardly see many of us around. Maybe things are changing but our numbers are very small in the city as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 01:33 PM

9,590 posts, read 9,272,305 times
Actually, I'm seeing a LOT (and I am aware of the irony) of African Americans showing up in West Hillsboro. Educated, middle class African Americans too, if going by appearance alone is proof of anything. I'd love to know where they all work. We all know employment is an issue in Portland. We never admit that employment is an ISSUE, in Portland, if you are black. The unemployment rate for blacks in Portland is almost triple the rate for whites and there is no explanation for it. Not education, not credit history, not criminal history, nothing, nothing accounts for the disparity. Except race. Even worse than that... hue, further delineates who succeeds from who doesn't within the already disenfranchised black community.

The only African Americans I have seen employed in Hillsboro are so light that some white people fresh from the tanning salon are darker. Portland itself is more even-handed, but outside of the big state offices, there are few venues where dark skinned black people are going to be employed. The o.p. should consider the realities of institutional racism in the employment situation. There is no way a black job seeker is going to convince a traditional employer to hire them on the strength of their qualifications and personality alone. Heck, its hard enough for other racial groups to do that as individuals. At least, as a class, Hispanics and Asians do not have stereotypes of laziness, attitude and a propensity towards criminal conduct. If anything Hispanic unemployment is lower than white unemployment. The perception that they work hard trumps any other perceived failings whether valid or not. Asians are perceived to be smart and that too trumps everything else. Darker Asians will not do as well as lighter ones, however. Dark hispanics do as well as they do because the work is menial and low paying. How many are in white collar employment?

Nope, the only way a black candidate can get a break is if the employer specifically wants a black candidate. Usually this is in order to check off a box on some mandated EEO stipulation somewhere. There are diversity focused staffing agencies that will put an applicant in touch with employers that are expressly seeking a diversity candidate. Unfortunately that usually means Asian or Hispanic, it also usually means recruitment. As in, 'don't call us, we'll call you. Every once in awhile, however, the stars line up for ... ... you know. What a country. Sorry if this offends anyone, its the truth though. I don't dwell on it. My posting history in this forum makes very little reference to race issues. Sixteen pages, however, without any mention of the fact that there are real differences between the way different minorities experience life in Portland was getting a little surreal.

H

Old 01-09-2014, 03:25 PM

1,012 posts, read 1,262,715 times
Thanks for posting that. The truth should offend no one.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:28 PM

3,930 posts, read 3,558,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
Thanks for posting that. The truth should offend no one.
Amen to that, Turquoise!

Old 01-10-2014, 05:06 PM

133 posts, read 204,159 times
Leisesturm, thanks for grounding my PNW fantasies to reality. I'll buy a few more Mega Millions tickets tonight.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:09 AM

6,003 posts, read 5,943,943 times
Any place is Mardi Gras if you've got a winning Lotto ticket.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:13 AM

6,468 posts, read 11,015,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Actually, I'm seeing a LOT (and I am aware of the irony) of African Americans showing up in West Hillsboro. Educated, middle class African Americans too, if going by appearance alone is proof of anything. I'd love to know where they all work. We all know employment is an issue in Portland. We never admit that employment is an ISSUE, in Portland, if you are black.
Nike. Many are ex-athletes from College level to Pro level that work in Sports Marketing positions of some sort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland