Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:32 AM

159 posts, read 409,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecobb View Post
Seattle devils ran me out of their city after the most miserable/hateful experience of my adult life. The Seattle Negro population is shrinking despite the Ethiopian invasion and now I know why. I'm a cyclist, cannabis user, very recycle conscious, atheist, and degreed professional BUT black as a bucket of tar. If I was gay/bi I may have had a chance at living a happy life in Seattle. I think Seattle wants to be gayer than SF. Reddit Seattle has a hatred/racism problem too so it's a real issue. I was treated as a threat/suspiciously daily even at Benaroya Hall while dressed in my finest. I don't give a damn about all the PC crap and lip-service from the natives because I trust my gut and it told me to get out of there fast!

Despite my psychologically devastating experience I know the PNW is where my heart wants to be and Portland is on my mind daily. Is Portland like Seattle in this regard? Please be honest because I can't afford to waste 3 more years of my prime in a insidiously bigoted city.
As a black male living in Portland these are the challenges we face here:

1.) There's not a lot of black people here so you will stand out everywhere you go.

2.) You're going to wonder if some people's behavior is a product of their personality or racism.

3.) You're going to wonder if not being hired right away is a matter of racism.

4.) If you didn't grow up here it can feel very cliquish which makes it hard to meet real friends.

5.) Portland doesn't cater to black culture or lifestyles because there's just not a significant number of us here.

6.) The small black community born in Portland don't have the same outlook as blacks in Atlanta, Chicago or Philadelphia. They were never raised in a large black community and have a tendency to be just as passive aggressive as other Portlanders.

Because Portland is a mostly "white city", many of the issues you have in Portland will be how you perceive your social interactions with other people. If any of these things bother you it will be difficult to maneuver through Portland, but if you have thick skin and can dust off these issues you'll be fine here. I do it everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:55 AM

133 posts, read 253,151 times
Default Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
you dont like seattle do you?
If I ever became a terrorist Seattle would be my #1 target.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:59 AM

Default I lived in Dallas for 4 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
Visit Houston.... Nuff said.
Not interested in returning to TX. I dig laws like those in WA (death assistance, equal marriage, legal KUSH baby!) and elected officials like Kshama Sawant - she's HOT. It feels like I proposed to Seattle and she spit on my ring then slapped my face.

Last edited by dicecobb; 12-22-2013 at 12:06 PM..

Old 12-22-2013, 11:04 AM

Default Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
Less tension? No, quite the opposite I would say.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about everything.

It seems to me you are an overall miserable person. Perhaps your projecting some sort of behavior you don't realize.

Using phrases like "Ethiopian invasion" and believing that if you were gay and bisexual you would some how magically be accepted are strange ideals. Also, statements like "I think Seattle wants to be gayer than SF" probably won't do you any favors. It has a real negative sound to it.

I don't give a damn about all the PC crap and lip-service from the natives because I trust my gut and it told me to get out of there fast!

Well, then I can't think of a place you would be happy, not in the PNW anyway. Portland is worse than Seattle by far in every aspect regarding PC crap and lip service, institutionalized racism is very deeply entrenched all over the country. Plus, everyone likes to be as awful as they can be on the internet, that's the what internet trolls live for: hiding behind anonymity while saying deep seated hateful BS they would never say in public.

Portland would not magically solve your problems. Ever thought of Sacramento, CA?
Yes, Seattle city data got my raw worst but only because I was hurting not miserable. Yes, I was considering Sacramento too but I prefer cities with over 600K pop. because it really helps my dating chances. I'm 30 and want to marry and stabilize my life.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:12 AM

Default Other Seattle Neighborhoods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHW View Post
Have you tried looking around at other neighborhoods? I have a black friend down here in Austin, TX (another supposed liberal mecca) and she told me that she had to get out of the burbs cause she felt like she was being watched by all her neighbors. Now she lives downtown and says it's a hundred times better. Just a thought.
How come most "Liberal Meccas" have less than 10% black population? I know we're about 12% of US but most of the US is not liberal so we should actually have a higher percentage in "progressive cities". Lived in Dallas for 4 years and returning to TX wouldn't feel forward.

Seattle is a white city with a black homeless problem and that makes being black in Seattle embarrassing and uncomfortable sometimes. I can't afford most Seattle neighborhoods/suburbs anyways. I'm a city guy (30, single, no kids, educated). I think I will end up in Sacramento, small but the black pop is 16%. I really like that number.

Cheers,

Old 12-22-2013, 11:14 AM

Default Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlite View Post
The worst thing to do is to try to tell a black person there was no racism involved, and u jus makin it up, when there mighta been, im white and dont like when other white people say it. That said, the poster above might be somewhat right, perhaps there is some racism, but maybe its also the nature of people round here? they can be kinda standoffish, no matter if ur white or black aka seattle freeze.
I know my posts can come off as a whiney child but a little grace is all people need, especially those who have been punished like myself. Seattle felt like a racial punishment just my honest opinion. Thanks for understanding. You have the gift of getting in others' minds and that's rare these days.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:23 AM

Default This What I Was Afraid Of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rass33 View Post
As a black male living in Portland these are the challenges we face here:

1.) There's not a lot of black people here so you will stand out everywhere you go.

2.) You're going to wonder if some people's behavior is a product of their personality or racism.

3.) You're going to wonder if not being hired right away is a matter of racism.

4.) If you didn't grow up here it can feel very cliquish which makes it hard to meet real friends.

5.) Portland doesn't cater to black culture or lifestyles because there's just not a significant number of us here.

6.) The small black community born in Portland don't have the same outlook as blacks in Atlanta, Chicago or Philadelphia. They were never raised in a large black community and have a tendency to be just as passive aggressive as other Portlanders.

Because Portland is a mostly "white city", many of the issues you have in Portland will be how you perceive your social interactions with other people. If any of these things bother you it will be difficult to maneuver through Portland, but if you have thick skin and can dust off these issues you'll be fine here. I do it everyday.
#2 scares me the most. I hate the gray area and had the same thoughts in Seattle, e.g., I'm walking behind a white person and it wouldn't hurt for them to hold the door a couple seconds longer so it doesn't close on me. Nope, they open the door just barely enough for him/her so I have a little extra work. Happened 9/10 times and felt intentional for some reason. Back home in Indianapolis people are so aware of others and White Men will even hold the door for me.

I think Sacramento will be my new and final home.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:23 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,875 times
Question New guy on the block here...

Been lurking around in here for the past few years, so I just decided to register on this thread alone.
I live in Illinois, been here most of my life (hate it) and have entertained thoughts for years of taking my minimalist butt on the road and moving to either Portland,Ore. or maybe someplace in the King county,Wa. area.
Most of what I've read about the west coast is good, compared to the screwed state I live in now! I'm a middle aged,straight,divorced male and need some change, so what can people here tell me about living in your areas?
I already know your climate appeals to me.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:33 AM

Default PNW is Great For the Minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Been lurking around in here for the past few years, so I just decided to register on this thread alone.
I live in Illinois, been here most of my life (hate it) and have entertained thoughts for years of taking my minimalist butt on the road and moving to either Portland,Ore. or maybe someplace in the King county,Wa. area.
Most of what I've read about the west coast is good, compared to the screwed state I live in now! I'm a middle aged,straight,divorced male and need some change, so what can people here tell me about living in your areas?
I already know your climate appeals to me.
Micro-Housing is growing in Seattle and Portland. Search: Apodments in Seattle. The construction is receiving a lot of NIMBYISM (common in Seattle) because rich Seattle folk don't want peasants ($15 wage folk) living in their neighborhood. They say parking is the problem but most low wage residents are not moving in with cars. And the car-less lifestyle is another plus of PNW. It would fit you well.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:46 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicecobb View Post
Micro-Housing is growing in Seattle and Portland. Search: Apodments in Seattle. The construction is receiving a lot of NIMBYISM (common in Seattle) because rich Seattle folk don't want peasants ($15 wage folk) living in their neighborhood. They say parking is the problem but most low wage residents are not moving in with cars. And the car-less lifestyle is another plus of PNW. It would fit you well.
Thanks for the reply!
See, those are kind of things that just make me even more prone to want to put Ill. in my past! I don't drive, haven't since 2007 due to a dumb mistake and I have little crap to bring, hopefully even less as time goes on. I have a tech background, and love the outdoors and I "think" Portland has both of those pegged. Plus I'm an avid mountain biker.
I'm not close to retiring, so I'm also reading that employment is a plus also. Correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland