U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:07 PM

46,055 posts, read 27,995,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
I just heard on NPR that the cost to fix would be $90 million while the cost to rebuild would be $110-150 million. This is a wonderful opportunity to get rid of that building once and for all. They could save the statue of course and maybe display her in the basement of the new building. I did also hear that the current building is on the National Historic Registry?! How in the world does a 30 year old building get on that? Why not add the Marshall's at Lloyd Center to the registry?
Age of a building isn't the only way a building can get registered, there are four criteria and a building only needs to meet one to get registered.

Quote:
Criterion A, "Event," the property must make a contribution to the major pattern of American history.
Criterion B, "Person," is associated with significant people of the American past.
Criterion C, "Design/Construction," concerns the distinctive characteristics of the building by its architecture and construction, including having great artistic value or being the work of a master.
Criterion D, "Information potential," is satisfied if the property has yielded or may be likely to yield information important to prehistory or history.[20]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 11:40 AM

875 posts, read 1,656,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
I just heard on NPR that the cost to fix would be $90 million while the cost to rebuild would be $110-150 million. This is a wonderful opportunity to get rid of that building once and for all. They could save the statue of course and maybe display her in the basement of the new building. I did also hear that the current building is on the National Historic Registry?! How in the world does a 30 year old building get on that? Why not add the Marshall's at Lloyd Center to the registry?
The Oregonian quoted a phenomenal range of $1100M to $400M for a complete rebuild. Any amount is too much, what exactly is wrong with what they have right now? I suspect by the time the dust has settled on a new build, this pet local government project will be over $400M and we will get a series of special bonds issued.

Portland Building: Four commissioners, four approaches for dealing with Portland's $95 million 'white elephant' | OregonLive.com

"Costs for constructing a new building could range between $110 million and $400 million, according to city estimates."

This is the most worrying statement in the Oregonian report:
"The full extent of problems has not been publicly disclosed, however. The Office of Management & Finance has not released related documents and consulting reports, requested under the state’s public records law by The Oregonian this week."

So we really don't know what problem they may have, but it will cost $100M-$400M to fix it. Come on Portland council, if you are going to try and pi$$ that amount of taxpayer money away, at least have a good excuse lined up.

Time for some radical thinking - Teleworking & hotdesking into a much smaller facility somewhere on the MAX line but not in the middle of downtown. I hear Tektronix in Beaverton have a number of spare buildings and are right on the MAX Millikan stop. Just think we could turn an eyesore into a pot of gold by selling the whole thing to developers who could knock it down and build something (really anything) more appropriate.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:50 PM

9,972 posts, read 13,905,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Time for some radical thinking - Teleworking & hotdesking into a much smaller facility somewhere on the MAX line but not in the middle of downtown. I hear Tektronix in Beaverton have a number of spare buildings and are right on the MAX Millikan stop. Just think we could turn an eyesore into a pot of gold by selling the whole thing to developers who could knock it down and build something (really anything) more appropriate.
I don't think anyone is going to propose moving the City of Portland's offices to Beaverton or Washington County. (That'd be awesome, having to go all the way out there for any bureau hearing or permit application). There's places near the Lloyd Center that you could still retrofit or build a cheaper office building though.

Steve Novick actually proposed recently though that since the aging Multnomah County Courts building needs to be replaced also, you could just combine the two into one newer building and then sell the other lot to private developers...

Old 01-04-2014, 12:55 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,421,488 times
Do the poor ugly-butt building a favor and put it to rest with a wrecking ball. Replace it with something simple but classic. City hall buildings do not have to be pretty buildings, but this one is so ugly it hurts my feelings.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:12 PM

6,415 posts, read 9,967,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Yeah, because moving a building for the CITY OF PORTLAND to another city, not to mention another county, is such a stellar idea.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:20 PM

875 posts, read 1,656,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I don't think anyone is going to propose moving the City of Portland's offices to Beaverton or Washington County. (That'd be awesome, having to go all the way out there for any bureau hearing or permit application). There's places near the Lloyd Center that you could still retrofit or build a cheaper office building though.

Steve Novick actually proposed recently though that since the aging Multnomah County Courts building needs to be replaced also, you could just combine the two into one newer building and then sell the other lot to private developers...
Yep, I can see your logic... it's soo much easier to get into the middle of downtown and find parking. Lloyd center, again, why situate the facility in a high-rent, hard to access high crime area? Doesn't make sense. Situate it near a major freeway (205, I5, 26 etc) with a spur from the MAX line if needed and in a low-cost easy to develop plot.

My rationale still stands, why does the office need to be in the middle of downtown where costs are higher, you have to get all those employees into downtown everyday and then access for the citizens that need it is difficult (parking for instance)? Historical? So what if it is not in Multnomah Co? Who really cares, it's our money and the council should be thinking out the box to solve their made imposed crisis.

I agree that combining several functions into one building would be a step forward....

Old 01-05-2014, 02:24 PM

20,745 posts, read 22,218,650 times
The Multnomah County Building is a death trap. I worked there for a year. The basement which has stored probate files is still frequently used, I had to go down there quite a bit to retrieve files, has signs all over saying not to disturb low hanging pipes due to the asbestos in the walls which is easily dislodged. Yet the files are piled to the ceiling and a tall person can easily bump into them into the pipes. The Probate Court where I worked has an article from the 90's hanging on the walls in which a study was done showing that the building would not survive a moderate to severe earthquake. It's an accident waiting to happen.

Combining the uses of the Courthouse and offices of the Portland Building into a safer building would be a good idea. For the record, I like both buildings. The Courthouse is beautiful inside and I have always liked the look of the Portland Building. But for safety's sake, they both have to either be totally redone, which is probably not cost effective or replaced.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:10 PM

608 posts, read 590,800 times
Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Do the poor ugly-butt building a favor and put it to rest with a wrecking ball. Replace it with something simple but classic. City hall buildings do not have to be pretty buildings, but this one is so ugly it hurts my feelings.

I agree with Bluesmama!

Old 01-06-2014, 05:59 AM

6,468 posts, read 11,079,449 times
I must be the only person who likes the look of the building.

I don't like it enough to think that it should be saved. The place should be knocked to the ground. More importantly, the Portlandia statue should be moved to some place more accessible. Or, if the sculptor is going to continue to be a PITA about rights to the statue and it's location, then we should ship it COD back to him.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:28 PM

20,745 posts, read 22,218,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I must be the only person who likes the look of the building.

I don't like it enough to think that it should be saved. The place should be knocked to the ground. More importantly, the Portlandia statue should be moved to some place more accessible. Or, if the sculptor is going to continue to be a PITA about rights to the statue and it's location, then we should ship it COD back to him.
Nope, I mentioned I liked it too. But I agree if it has to go it has to go. But I always thought Portandia was out of place. She should be where everyone could view her better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland