Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 06:41 PM

57 posts, read 116,579 times

Advertisements

We're contemplating getting out of the desert (Tucson) and moving to the PNW. The problem that my girlfriend and I are having is that we have two medium/large dogs, and unlike here we're not finding very many apartments that are completely pet-friendly.

We have an 11 year old Rottweiler mix (the other breed is a smaller dog as he's only 60 pounds) but he's a big ball of love...loves playing with other dogs, and people especially if you have a tennis ball.

The second dog is an 8 year old German Shepherd mix (she's only 40-50 pounds) and we're working on getting her training/therapy as she is aggressive towards other dogs (except the Rottie) and we think it's because of a traumatic experience from her past...

The apartment complex we're living in now has no breed restrictions, all they ask is to do a pet interview first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 07:38 PM

478 posts, read 877,416 times
Where will you be working? What's your rental budget? That would be helpful in identifying potential matches, plus you should search this forum as this question is asked pretty often.

Without knowing the above, you might check here for some leads- Portland Pooch - Complete Listing of Dog-Friendly Apartments - there are quite a few apartments listed with no weight restrictions, but the info on this site is not always current.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:38 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,878,255 times
There was a recent thread on Portland Forum about this exact topic. OP- you will probably need to look for a house. An aggressive German Shepherd is a weapon. I don't want to be disagreeable or rude but my worst fear is getting attacked by a big dog like yours. Please respect Multnomah County's dog leash laws.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:09 PM

543 posts, read 1,142,223 times
I know that some apartments that accept dogs have a hefty pet deposit for each dog and a monthly rent for each animal as well as weight limits. Interesting.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:20 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,604,108 times
Here's a recap of the last discussion.

The rental market is tough right now for everyone. Vacancy is very low. So, people with dogs are not first choice for landlords. People with large dogs have even more problems, particularly when they're breeds such as German Shepherds or Rotts. Your options will be the less popular neighborhoods and more likely the outskirts of Portland rather than inner Portland. Your best bet will be a house with a private landlord as no property management company is going to rent to you with the two of them.

Portland itself is very dog friendly. Renting in Portland with two large dogs with the current vacancy rate will be hard. People withOUT pets are having a hard time finding rentals. People with large dogs have the hardest time.

Old 01-06-2014, 01:56 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,305,050 times
This is the only place I know of that allows unrestricted breeds or any breed of dogs any longer. But there is no yard for your dogs and for large breeds, that would probably be a problem.

Abernethy Apartments - Anchor NW Property Group | View Our Available Rentals

A word to the wise. I think landlords get tired of hearing how "sweet" or "loving" someone's pet is. That means nothing to them. Everyone thinks that of their pet. I mean, my cat is the bet cat. Right? Better is a graduation certificate from obedience school or a good reference from a former landlord or previous veterinarian.

This is just a suggestion from a former apartment manager.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 AM

9,858 posts, read 11,866,849 times
In a place as dog friendly as Portland, having a dog that is aggressive to other dogs could get old really quickly. For the o.p. as well as their close neighbors. An apartment situation would be just about impossible. As others have said, an outskirts situation really is best. Try Hillsboro. I'm not a dog person but I live in Hillsboro. Dogs do well here and there is tons more space than Portland.

H

Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,439,722 times
I have found more apartment complexes are more tolerant of large dogs, rather than rental houses. You might have to pay $$ more. Whereabouts are you looking.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:27 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,085,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
I have found more apartment complexes are more tolerant of large dogs, rather than rental houses. You might have to pay $$ more. Whereabouts are you looking.
Is that in Portland, or Colorado?

Old 01-06-2014, 03:46 PM

57 posts, read 116,579 times
We're not sure where we'd be working, but we could also look into houses. The only problem with them is higher utilities usually. Do houses run higher than apartments? Here you can get a good 1500 square foot house for a grand a month, or a 900 square foot apartment lol

Luckily the sheperd mix is a very lazy dog, so she doesn't need a lot of space. But yes we are quite annoyed with her even though it's not entirely her fault...hence the training. Maybe when she's done with that we'll know more...since she's fine with people, and when we adopted the rottie she accepted him...it's just every other random dog she thinks is going to attack my girlfriend due to an actual attack that happened awhile back and the dog jumped in front of my girlfriend to protect her.

We do have one car but it's the public transportation situation good in the suburbs? We both like being in larger cities where there are multiple ways to get around, vs just the two of us sharing the one car. We would probably end up going to PCC after a year or so to get back on our academic feet so to speak lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland