Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 01:14 PM

32,502 posts, read 47,500,455 times

Advertisements

"Dog Friendly" does not mean you can do whatever you want and go where ever you want with your pet.

It means that there are dog parks and good vets and outdoor seating areas where you are allowed to have your dog with you.

It means there is an abundance of agility clubs and other dog sport clubs and plenty of competitions for you and your dog. There are good qualified dog trainers for all sorts of dog disciplines and competitions.

It means your dog is allowed on a leash on the hiking trails and out in the forest and in most of the state parks.

It does not mean that your dog is allowed to run loose and annoy the neighbors or kill livestock or leave poop every where.

It does not mean that landlords are required by law to rent to people and pets that they don't want.

However, you are very welcome to buy your own house and fence your yard and keep a couple of dogs as long as they don't bark all day or run loose in the neighborhood, or bite anyone. The majority of neighborhoods will not have restrictions on the home owners about what type of dog and usually do not have a limit on how many dogs. However, before you buy, check the HOA's and local regulations about dogs carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 02:04 PM

2,647 posts, read 3,825,001 times
Attention to dogs s one of the most bizare elements of living in PDX.
Dogs are allowed in so many stores and places of businesses here.

Dogs being allowed in grocery stores is a disgustng practice. No idea why it is tolerated.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:15 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,188,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
"Dog Friendly" does not mean you can do whatever you want and go where ever you want with your pet.

It means that there are dog parks and good vets and outdoor seating areas where you are allowed to have your dog with you.

It means there is an abundance of agility clubs and other dog sport clubs and plenty of competitions for you and your dog. There are good qualified dog trainers for all sorts of dog disciplines and competitions.

It means your dog is allowed on a leash on the hiking trails and out in the forest and in most of the state parks.

It does not mean that your dog is allowed to run loose and annoy the neighbors or kill livestock or leave poop every where.

It does not mean that landlords are required by law to rent to people and pets that they don't want.

However, you are very welcome to buy your own house and fence your yard and keep a couple of dogs as long as they don't bark all day or run loose in the neighborhood, or bite anyone. The majority of neighborhoods will not have restrictions on the home owners about what type of dog and usually do not have a limit on how many dogs. However, before you buy, check the HOA's and local regulations about dogs carefully.
Sounds too rich for my kind. By dog friendly I meant dog parks, dog friendly apartments, etc. I always "scoop the poop" and my little guy is well behaved both in public and private. I shouldn't have to buy a house with a fenced in yard to own a dog, but hey, thanks for your input!

Old 01-10-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
That sounds like a good deal in a good neighborhood. Your dog weighs as much as my cat. That could work in your favor. Good luck in your search.
Thank you Minervah! Good to know!

Old 01-10-2014, 07:33 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,414,308 times
Quote:
I shouldn't have to buy a house with a fenced in yard to own a dog, but hey, thanks for your input!
Though it may not apply to you, I have seen a lot of people with larger "high energy" breeds and breeds that need to have room to exercise naturally try to make it work with daily walks and dog parks...

Sometime it works, sometimes the result is highly neurotic pets.
A lot of times it's very unfair to the breed they have chosen.

That was a kind of a breed specific, but very fair comment to me.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:43 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,882,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Dogs are allowed in so many stores and places of businesses here.

Dogs being allowed in grocery stores is a disgustng practice. No idea why it is tolerated.
I am at the point now where I will say something about the dog in Whole Foods. It is disgusting and inconsiderate. It should not be tolerated.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:47 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,882,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
Though it may not apply to you, I have seen a lot of people with larger "high energy" breeds and breeds that need to have room to exercise naturally try to make it work with daily walks and dog parks...

Big dogs need room and most apartments here are not going to be large enough for a German Shepherd, for example. I would not want a big dog in my apartment if I were a landlord.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,599 posts, read 57,556,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Yup summer 'dog-watching' in the Portland parks is a great past-time!/

The city's "Buster-the-show-dog's" are all dolled up and groomed to perfection and their owners pampering and proud.

Not quite as bizarre as when I lived in Spain. There the dogs have almost as much clout as the babies. Interestingly I couldn't figure out why so many people were walking in the street, until I realized that the DOGS get the sidewalks and 'do-their-thing' all over the sidewalk.

Yes...Portland has lots of dogs

I don't see farm dogs riding in the back of open pickups and sitting on the tool box or fuel tank in Portland. They would probably arrest the farmer for animal abuse!. I took my farm dog to the beach ONCE, He was amazed by all the people and about 1 dog / per person.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post

You're correct, it doesn't apply to me, but oregonwoodsmoke was not breed specific in his/her post (unless I missed it ), so I took it (according to the post) such as only homeowners with fenced in yards should have dogs.

BTW:
My dog is the same size or smaller than most cats and not "high energy".

Old 01-11-2014, 03:56 PM

8 posts, read 14,172 times
This is a bittersweet thread for someone like me. I'm moving there in the spring and I work with dogs for a living, but I have a German shepherd. So work wise will be great, finding a home wise will be not so great. Also, I'm single and have to do it on one income. I've done some research specific to the subject, but I may have come to the conclusion that an apartment locator may be my best bet. Cost be damned. Or are they free in OR? Depends on where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: