U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 10:08 PM

2,405 posts, read 2,736,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
For myself oahu is home and where my heart is. I also can appreciate Portland for its great things. If I had a choice between Oahu and Staying in Oregon. I would choose Oahu because its my hometown and I feel for me it would be alot healthier for me. The question will always be can one afford hawaii lol?
Wanting to go to one of the most expensive places is never easy. As much as I love Hawaii and grew up going there all the time, it's a second home, but not my home. I miss it though. I like the easy going way of life, but I have found that PDX is doing that for me just fine. I expecially miss the warm water and beautiful beaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I know how you feel. I have family on Oahu and family in NYC area and S.F./NorCal still. I have lived in NYC, spent months at a time on Oahu and grew up in S.F. so all feel very special to me. My kids are growing up in Portland so Portland will always be special because of the memories we are creating here as a family. I could easily live in eight cities in the U.S. easily as long as my immediate family is with me. Home to me is where they are and when the kids are grown then my hubby and I will reassess "home". I always consider myself a Californian, though, because I spent the first 26 years of my life there.
Y'know. I think that's why I know I'm home and this is where I belong.....because I am here all alone. No family except for a cousin I've seen less than 5 times in my life. I went to CA to visit my family and I hated almost every minute there. The roads aren't as congested as they are here, but I hate how big and busy they are anyways. I enjoyed the sun, but hated the heat. Even with my family, I love them, but I haven't missed them at all and was happy to leave (and I have a decent relationship with them all).

They say "home is where the heart is". I suppose my heart has been in OR (or at least the PNW) since 1995. Whereas your heart is your family, so wherever they are, you are home.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I like that. Sometimes too, you might find a place that was once a great spot for you changes to the point that for whatever reason is not longer as great for you as it once was. Nobody's fault, things change. Nothing remains static. When that happens, one either goes with the flow or moves on. I realize that is not always possible of course, but in situations where it is, it's kind of exciting to explore new territory.
Very true. And sometimes, you change and the place is no longer working for you. I know at one time in my life, I was contemplating moving to Hawaii, but something in me changed, that I no longer wanted to live there. It just wasn't a fit anymore.

I just find it weird that I fell in love with OR in 1995. Came back off and on for a year in 2002. Still loved it. Now that I live here, love it even more. It has changed a lot since 1995, but I think it's the area that I love. The beauty of the PNW.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:27 AM

416 posts, read 691,350 times
I'll be doing pretty much the same trek, OP. I'll be heading back to California for the first time since moving to Oregon later last year this Friday for a little over a week.

What I'm excited about:
SEEING MY FRIENDS! I miss my friend group down there!
A little time away from work is always nice.
I love road trips.

What I'm not excited about:
I have a severe disdain for California, despite being born and raised there. Absolutely hate the state.
Having to drive through the I-5 Cascades pass in the winter... Ah well, I've got AWD.

But yeah, first time heading back... I expect it to go well, but I'll be overjoyed to get back to my beloved Oregon.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBC View Post
I'll be doing pretty much the same trek, OP. I'll be heading back to California for the first time since moving to Oregon later last year this Friday for a little over a week.

What I'm excited about:
SEEING MY FRIENDS! I miss my friend group down there!
A little time away from work is always nice.
I love road trips.

What I'm not excited about:
I have a severe disdain for California, despite being born and raised there. Absolutely hate the state.
Having to drive through the I-5 Cascades pass in the winter... Ah well, I've got AWD.

But yeah, first time heading back... I expect it to go well, but I'll be overjoyed to get back to my beloved Oregon.
I missed my BFF the most. Loved spending the day with her, alone, more than any other day I was there. I gotta admit, I was just building a bigger friend base right when I left. So I miss that a lot.

Why are you driving? I was going to but then realized I'd have to go through the pass and said forget it!! LOL. Not sure how far down you're going, but Santa Ana's are hitting the Southland. Lovely 80-90 degrees about to hit. Hahaha. I don't miss that, that's for sure.

Try to have fun. Let me know how good/bad it was. I'm curious.

ETA: Meant to ask....how do you feel about OR? Is it "home"?

Old 01-13-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I missed my BFF the most. Loved spending the day with her, alone, more than any other day I was there. I gotta admit, I was just building a bigger friend base right when I left. So I miss that a lot.

Why are you driving? I was going to but then realized I'd have to go through the pass and said forget it!! LOL. Not sure how far down you're going, but Santa Ana's are hitting the Southland. Lovely 80-90 degrees about to hit. Hahaha. I don't miss that, that's for sure.

Try to have fun. Let me know how good/bad it was. I'm curious.

ETA: Meant to ask....how do you feel about OR? Is it "home"?
Yeah, I can definitely understand that! I can't wait to see my friend group. Some of my best friends I've ever had.

I've done the pass in the middle of winter in a newer RWD BMW... nothing is scary after that. I'm renting an AWD SUV to trek. And it's roughly 10 hours to my part of California (San Francisco Bay area), and I love road trips. I fly at least once per week, so I would rather avoid a plane. Plus I'm 6'4". 10 hours of driving is better than metal seat backs being jammed into my knees on a plane.

I will definitely let you know how it goes.

And Oregon has been 'home' to me since I was a kid. I've spent tons of time here, and wanted to move here since I was a boy. Now that I finally have, it has confirmed the fact I always knew: I'm a true Oregonian at heart.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBC View Post
Yeah, I can definitely understand that! I can't wait to see my friend group. Some of my best friends I've ever had.

I've done the pass in the middle of winter in a newer RWD BMW... nothing is scary after that. I'm renting an AWD SUV to trek. And it's roughly 10 hours to my part of California (San Francisco Bay area), and I love road trips. I fly at least once per week, so I would rather avoid a plane. Plus I'm 6'4". 10 hours of driving is better than metal seat backs being jammed into my knees on a plane.

I will definitely let you know how it goes.

And Oregon has been 'home' to me since I was a kid. I've spent tons of time here, and wanted to move here since I was a boy. Now that I finally have, it has confirmed the fact I always knew: I'm a true Oregonian at heart.
I give you tall people credit. I'm short, 5'1", and I feel cramped. I always remember seeing a very tall man fold himself up on a trip home from Hawaii once. I felt bad when j had to get out, window seat, but thought, maybe he should unfold himself before he gets stuck that way. Haha. And since you fly so much, I can see why driving may be nicer.

My trek home would be 16 hours straight, and that's in good weather. So flying was nicer. Thankfully, no propeller plane. But I do end up on those jet commuter ones.

Safe travels. Oh and no Santa Anas for you. Be glad.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I give you tall people credit. I'm short, 5'1", and I feel cramped. I always remember seeing a very tall man fold himself up on a trip home from Hawaii once. I felt bad when j had to get out, window seat, but thought, maybe he should unfold himself before he gets stuck that way. Haha. And since you fly so much, I can see why driving may be nicer.

My trek home would be 16 hours straight, and that's in good weather. So flying was nicer. Thankfully, no propeller plane. But I do end up on those jet commuter ones.

Safe travels. Oh and no Santa Anas for you. Be glad.
Been 6'4" since I was 14... I'm used to it... but it definitely gets problematic here and there. Like finding clothes. And my 16 EEEE sized feet make finding shoes problematic.

And yeah, I'm tired of flying. Plus, I'm half Middle Eastern, and always get "randomly selected" for "additional screening." HOW CAN IT BE RANDOM IF ITS EVERY SINGLE TIME?! =P But, I love road trips, as noted.

You from LA or San Diego, I'm assuming?

And yeap! No Santa Anas for me. Not a fan of the heat, so I'm glad to be avoiding it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland