U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 04:28 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,538,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
One thing nobody tells you about the east coast is how bad the weather can be in the summer. They often mention the humidity but not how much it rains. Even when it's not Hurricane Sandy, rain and storms are common all summer long in NYC. Portland's summer is pretty close to perfection.
Portland summer is a hideous furnace. Maybe it's just because the other 8-9 months of the year your body gets used to cool temperatures and the fact nobody seems to want to air condition anything here, but I consider the many 65-90 degree relentlessly sunny days in the summer here to be hell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 06:00 PM

6,415 posts, read 9,827,788 times
Yeah, those 65 degree days are pure hell.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:35 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,583,724 times
I think just about every store and restaurant and mall in Portland has A/C, so I don't know where you're coming from, Belmont.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Yeah, those 65 degree days are pure hell.
65 as a low I mean.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:51 PM

9,972 posts, read 13,682,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Portland summer is a hideous furnace. Maybe it's just because the other 8-9 months of the year your body gets used to cool temperatures and the fact nobody seems to want to air condition anything here, but I consider the many 65-90 degree relentlessly sunny days in the summer here to be hell!
Have you ever spent the summer in Arizona or California's Central Valley or Louisiana or Atlanta or Washington DC?

Because if you hate heat there's way hotter places than Portland(and humidity in the South is a lot different than fairly dry Pacific NW summers). Even the Midwest gets pretty hot and humid.

You might only be happy directly on the NW/NorCal coast or in Alaska if Portland summers are too hot.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:22 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,698,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
You need to get out more. Spend time in other cities/states. Then come back and tell me Portland is a hideous furnace.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Have you ever spent the summer in Arizona or California's Central Valley or Louisiana or Atlanta or Washington DC?

Because if you hate heat there's way hotter places than Portland(and humidity in the South is a lot different than fairly dry Pacific NW summers). Even the Midwest gets pretty hot and humid.

You might only be happy directly on the NW/NorCal coast or in Alaska if Portland summers are too hot.
I think the lack of clouds and also the long days make the summer here seem worse. To me the sun is even worse than the humidity, though the worst is to have a clear and humid day. Combined with the fact that summers used to not be as warm here and the infrastructure hasn't caught up yet. In California summers are hotter in most places but at least air conditioning is more universal.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:47 PM

46,055 posts, read 27,423,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The difference is between the words "much" and "often." It doesn't rain as much as most places, but it does rain more often than a lot of places.
This one sentence sums up weather in Portland, I couldn't have said it any better.

I will add some years the rain feels like it was light, other years you feel like it has been raining for months and cringe when KGW says it has been raining for 45 days straight.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:58 PM

6,657 posts, read 6,015,059 times
I was born and raised on Oahu and i tell you there are days on Oahu that the humidity is so thick you could cut it with a knife. Ive lived in portland for the last 15years, and i got to tell you i have alot more trouble with the cold, gray days(lack of vitamin D) then i ever had with the hot days. I also believe where you were born determines what climate your body is best adapted to.

Really guys traditionally portland is a rainy city, the last 10 years the climate has changed alot. I remember it startted pouring raining in september in the late 80s + 90s, in oregon.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:43 AM

241 posts, read 395,909 times
Belmont22, I have to agree with you, mostly; I wouldn't say Portland in summer is a "hideous furnace" all the time, but the sun feels much stronger here than I expected it would, and anything above 80 degrees feels too hot to me anyway. So many businesses here are not air conditioned, and those that are tend to be warmer than one would expect with AC. I was used to Florida where every store, mall and business felt like a refrigerator. But I have a portable AC unit now and I telecommute from home, so on those 15-20 days or so when it just feels too hot, I can hide out at home; I don't mind, since the rest of the year is just fine, temperature-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland