U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 09:22 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,127,348 times

Advertisements

I do believe you would need to have Oregon on your birth certificate to be a true Oregonian.

Oregon has a lot of room and varied weather. Everyone wants to live in the Willamette valley for the most part. The valley gets quite a bit of weather of the moist variety. Measuring it in inches really doesn't give it any scope. It comes down "slow" and lingers for days at a time. Slugs and moss seem to have evolved here.

I used to head to the eastern side of the state for a break and some sun. At this point the drive to the airport would be a lot less work and can put me somewhere warm and dry for few weeks to recharge.

The summer is great in Portland. Fall is great with all the colors (with the color comes rain). The rest of the year is pretty moist and gray.

The nay sayers will argue with me about how it doesn't rain that much. I say "If it was that great it would cost even more to live in Portland".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 10:46 PM

783 posts, read 1,324,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Nice thread, read through it. Planning on moving to pdx in a couple of months, and of course the rain concerns me. I am from northern MN though and i have had it with 6 months of brutal cold (months of -20F, lows of -50F), ice, six feet of snow and nowhere to shovel it, my car buried on my street for 2 days each week waiting for the street to be plowed and going batty waiting to just get out to a coffee shop or mall or wherever, then after 6 months of winter 3 months of sloppy melt and cold dreary overcast 'Spring', then a couple of months of 'summer' (often overcast, rainy), then a brutal humid hot August so hot you hole up indoors, then a beautiful warm September, then the leaves fall in 2 days and the trick or treat kids run for their lives from 20F cold going door to door (if it does not snow on Halloween), then winter arrives.

I know Portland will be rainy, gloomy much of the year, but I can not take the shoveling, snow, ice, just too hard physically and I can not deal with the brutal humid hot SE USA nor the arid SW USA that lacks lush green and water and that leaves a lot of the USA with cold and snow, so where is a guy to go? Figure to give Portland a try, I will rent for a year before laying a stake and buying a home just in case i end up hating portland. But honestly, here where I live in northern MN we have a lot of dreary gray overcast, so to go from that to the same (Portland) but without the ice and shoveling sounds pretty darn good. Also my plan is to just leave Portland for 2 or 3 two week trips to somewhere sunny, to get through winter and have some sun-- maybe explore other possible place to live before I buy a house in portland.

I hope I can survive the Portland rain, overcast. I am a writer, so at least I can sit in coffee shops and write while the rain drizzles on the window panes. Bottom line is the shoveling of foot upon foot upon foot upon foot upon foot of snow is just too much for me, I have to leave MN.
dude. in your case, Portland would be an improvement. northern minnesota sounds like a major physical struggle against a harsh winter climate. so i for one will not be discouraging you. you have serious reasons of survival to further populate our town with one more person. you are hereby allowed in the gate for humanitarian reasons.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:15 AM

42 posts, read 104,923 times
I moved here in July, and yes it rains a lot... but it doesn't really bother you. I actually enjoy the rainy days! I moved from West Texas and we got maybe 10 inches a year, (a good year) at that. I thought the rain was going to be the biggest of our problems. It just isn't. I go out in a light jacket and a hat. The wind on the other hand, is scary when you are surrounded by giant trees! :P

Old 12-29-2014, 02:41 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,433,705 times
Rain is better than extreme heat and subzero cold, but I'd rather our winter be a bit drier and snowier.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:03 PM

46,055 posts, read 28,017,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
Rain is better than extreme heat and subzero cold, but I'd rather our winter be a bit drier and snowier.
That would be Spokane or Bend. Though it can get a bit hot and cold at times in Spokane.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:39 PM

19 posts, read 24,747 times
I've been here since September 2014. My opinion is that the amount of rain I've seen so far has been pretty east to deal with. I don't know if this is less than normal though.

The location I moved from has a high of 11 tomorrow so Im appreciating the "nice" weather we've been having.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsewnab View Post
I've been here since September 2014. My opinion is that the amount of rain I've seen so far has been pretty east to deal with. I don't know if this is less than normal though.

The location I moved from has a high of 11 tomorrow so Im appreciating the "nice" weather we've been having.
This has been a very dry fall and winter so far.

Old 01-04-2015, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 4,118 times
YES! It is gloomy and grey from mid October until right around 4th of July. We are still wrapped up in blankets watching fireworks. The cloud cover is low....it is misty and drizzly A LOT. When we get an occasional sunny day (during the rainy season) it is rare. We have had many months where we do not see the sun for the entire month. This is not an exaggeration.

I have lived here for 36 years and cannot stand it anymore. We are looking to move somewhere sunny . My daughter has been diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency and I'm sure the rest if us are as well.

I know I risk sounding very negative but it is the truth. Now on the upside...we do have some amazing spring days with fresh air that is honestly wonderful. It's just that they are so few and far between. Summers are awesome for the 3 months. Then back to grey miserable rain until next summer.

Old 01-04-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofrainydays View Post
YES! It is gloomy and grey from mid October until right around 4th of July. We are still wrapped up in blankets watching fireworks. The cloud cover is low....it is misty and drizzly A LOT. When we get an occasional sunny day (during the rainy season) it is rare. We have had many months where we do not see the sun for the entire month. This is not an exaggeration.

I have lived here for 36 years and cannot stand it anymore. We are looking to move somewhere sunny . My daughter has been diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency and I'm sure the rest if us are as well.

I know I risk sounding very negative but it is the truth. Now on the upside...we do have some amazing spring days with fresh air that is honestly wonderful. It's just that they are so few and far between. Summers are awesome for the 3 months. Then back to grey miserable rain until next summer.
That is an issue, but the good thing is there are plenty of very sunny places in this country to cure that issue.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:15 PM

2,421 posts, read 4,036,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofrainydays View Post
We have had many months where we do not see the sun for the entire month. This is not an exaggeration.
Yes it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland