Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 02:02 AM

30 posts, read 52,064 times

Advertisements

Hello.

Just moved here and our wedding anniversary is coming up. I am thinking about surprising the hubby with a romantic trip to the Oregon coast. Looking for recommendations on town along coast, lodging/bed& breakfast, great eats, etc. We are fairly active people but doubt we'll be able to do much hiking this time of year. Walking/strolling along beach, snuggling in front of cozy fireplace, sightseeing, would be great.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 06:03 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,088,268 times
Maybe Sylvia Beach Hotel? I've never been there, but heart great things about it.

I'm a north coast person, so that's where I'm familiar with.

Cannon Beach is the popular town along the coast. Seaside is more cheesy coastal town, but has good selection of hotels and restaurants. Gearhart is a nice, laid-back town. Astoria has some great restaurants and nice hotels, but is more "port" than "beach."

Old 01-07-2014, 08:55 AM

9,858 posts, read 11,869,781 times
We keep going to Manzanita for our coast getaways and we always stay in the Spindrift. Nothing romantic about the Spindrift especially but it is cozy and close to the beach which is great for strolling. Cannon Beach is better for low tide exploring. Our last Coast getaway was a romantic one and we decided to try Wheeler by the bay Inn. Jacuzzi in the room, check; fireplace, check; sandy beach to stroll on.... ... you'll have to jump in the car and head up to Manzanita which is less than 10 minutes north on 101. Wanda's Cafe for breakfast or lunch. Big Wave Cafe for dinner. Have fun.

H

Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 AM

478 posts, read 877,677 times
I was going to come in and suggest the Sylvia Beach Hotel! EnricoV is right on. If you are at all a bookish sort, it's amazing. We stayed in the Shakespeare Room and loved it. Right on the beach, and plenty within walking distance as well.

Old 01-07-2014, 01:06 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,409,664 times
Can't really give you any specifics, but look into Oregon's central coast.
Less people, and some really pretty coastline.
If you are looking to get away from crowds that might work for you!

If I am going to stay more than a day or two, I am kind of partial to beach houses rather than hotels.
Maybe some of these might work for you?

BEACHCOMBERS NW: Central Oregon Coast Vacation Rentals

Old 01-07-2014, 02:51 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,250,691 times
Salishan would be my choice but check this out ..... Romantic Getaways on the Oregon Coast

Old 01-07-2014, 03:11 PM

543 posts, read 1,142,403 times
We discovered the Astoria Riverwalk Inn as a Groupon special a few months ago and have been back several times. Rooms are large, beds are comfortable, reading lights on both sides of the bed, very clean room, large towels are provided, great shower head. It's really the little things that make for a memorable stay.

They offer free waffles, sausage, eggs, coffee, juice, tea, toast, etc. breakfast which we enjoyed before going out for the day. They are located on the Marina and the rooms look out over boats, (you can walk around on the docks and check out the fishing and pleasure boats), the 4.25 mile long Astoria-Megler Bridge and the Columbia River. They offer fantastic free bikes to use while you're there (very FAT tires so you don't risk your wheels getting caught should you ride along the Riverfront Park pathway and cross over the trolly tracks.)

We rode our bikes to explore the boat yards where many of them were dry docked, being repaired and restored; rode down the Riverfront Park all the way past the Columbia Maritime Museum (Great history and artifacts, BTW and great when it's too cold to go out) to the docks where sea lions hang out.

If you want more exercise, you can drive to the top of the hill and climb the Astoria Column. It helps if the sky is clearish so you can see for miles - in 360 degrees.
When we went, the Riverwalk gave us free tickets to the Flavel House, The Oregon Film Museum (right across the street from the Flavel house), a free trolly ride (worth $1, but really fun). The trolly drivers are very knowledgable about the area and offer info on "Kindergarten Cop", the "Goonies" and other historical tidbits.

A quick drive across the 101 bridge will take you to Warrenton and the Hammond area, where you have access to the beach and also to the Peter Ireland, the rusted remains of one of many ships lost in that area.

http://riverwalkastoria.com/

Wherever you stay, hope you have a great visit!

Last edited by gypsydoc; 01-07-2014 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 01-07-2014, 03:52 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,250,691 times
I like Astoria, but I never thought of it as Romantic.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:04 PM

543 posts, read 1,142,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I like Astoria, but I never thought of it as Romantic.
We didn't either, really, until we tried it. We'd been to many of the other towns down the coast and although we had fun... they are pretty much the same. Walk on the beach, which I love, coffee shop, chat, eat out.

Astoria offers a different "flavor" of the Oregon/Washington experience. It's like going back in time, in a way. Huge Victorian Houses, historic area, a bit threadbare with some businesses struggling. The romance of the history of the place; the Trolley, huge cargo ships, fishing and pleasure vessels, fishermen, danger, storms, etc.

We like going places that are out of the way, or overlooked and Astoria seems to be that way.

We learned that it is a city that can not expand anymore because of the instability of the hill and the difficulty to get utilities to new areas, so it really is frozen in time.

You can also enjoy quiet time in one's room, watch the boats in the marina, read or watch movies or TV.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:06 PM

9,858 posts, read 11,869,781 times
Steve, I am impressed beyond words that you would know the difference...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland