Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 07:40 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistKick View Post
Yankeemama! I've seen you in other threads quite a bit

And, ah well. I don't hate children or families by any means, I'm just more of a homebody/loner and always feel a bit awkward around them. That's entirely my problem, mind, and honestly, moving somewhere there's lots of kids might actually help me get more used to it. Where I'm from there's very, very few families - my home neighborhood is very stagnant, mostly older people or families with grown children.

So, if you ignore the 'away from the family-friendly areas', what places do you suggest?

(also, it's great to know Portland's so.. well, small! If I end up living in the suburbs it's nice to know it won't take an hour and a half to drive into the city!)

----

Oldtintype, you pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. 'Family friendly' around here means people like me are decidedly not welcome.

I'm a bit sad to hear the mall is only 3 stores, but it's good to know there's lots of variety around Portland that's vegan friendly. I also hear there's lots of vegan food carts!
Hi Twist Kick! So here's the thing. I grew up in S.F. where there are several neighborhoods where you won't find many families with kids. Portland doesn't really have any neighborhoods like that though. The Pearl has many singles BUT there are mostly condos and expensive apartments that most likely will not allow a big dog. Also, the dog owners are pretty nice there however the parents are generally yuppies and have annoying children, for the most part. Doesn't sound like a good fit. The gentrified area that is now called, The Alberta has a lot of single hipster types. This may be a good fit but from what you say about yourself socially... I don't know. You may find too many annoying partying types here. You may like The Cully neighborhood which is "Up and coming" and is right next to the Alberta and near Rose City Park. You may be able to find a small house rental that will accept a big dog. There is an area called Madison South neighborhood East of 82nd which has many families but the neighborhood is mellow and the kids are not as annoying as some of the popular neighborhoods in inner NE and. NW. Please don't get me wrong, I love being a mother and enjoy parenting my own kids but many Portland neighborhoods have kids with a great deal of entitlement. I would avoid those neighborhoods because if you have social issues with kids then the kids in those neighborhoods will def. spook you! I personally think you will be happier in a mellow neighborhood in Portland rather than the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 07:44 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
That's impossible to answer because it depends on where you work.

What is your definition of safe? There are neighborhoods that are more beat up or might have more poor people but none are "unsafe." I don't know where you are from in Texas but I have family in New Orleans and there are definitely neighborhoods that are unsafe there. Portland doesn't really have neighborhoods that reach anything close to the crime and poverty there. So there really isn't an area you "couldn't" live. But there are areas you may not want to live in because they're too difficult job wise. So it's hard to recommend areas when you don't know where you work. If you work in Vancouver I'd recommend areas in NE or North Portland. If you work in Beaverton you'd want to live on the west side, etc.

If you end up working in Portland you might want to check out neighborhoods like Alberta and Kerns.

And that rental could cost you anywhere from $900--$2000 depending on size and location.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
That's impossible to answer because it depends on where you work.

What is your definition of safe? There are neighborhoods that are more beat up or might have more poor people but none are "unsafe." I don't know where you are from in Texas but I have family in New Orleans and there are definitely neighborhoods that are unsafe there. Portland doesn't really have neighborhoods that reach anything close to the crime and poverty there. So there really isn't an area you "couldn't" live. But there are areas you may not want to live in because they're too difficult job wise. So it's hard to recommend areas when you don't know where you work. If you work in Vancouver I'd recommend areas in NE or North Portland. If you work in Beaverton you'd want to live on the west side, etc.

If you end up working in Portland you might want to check out neighborhoods like Alberta and Kerns.

And that rental could cost you anywhere from $900--$2000 depending on size and location.
+1 and I would add Buckman or Sullivan's Gulch though not sure about townhouse availability in those areas.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:55 PM

65 posts, read 107,630 times
Yankeemama:

This is all really helpful information. While kids don't 'spook' me (heehee), I definitely like the sound of a mellow neighborhood over anywhere there's a lot of entitlement. I'm really a bit of a misfit - a loner but not a big party person, so I don't really expect to 'fit in' anywhere right away, or even at all. So somewhere laidback is better. I've seen on other pages The Pearl mentioned, but if I can't bring my pooch, it's a no-go. I'll keep The Cully in mind, it sounds pretty good (especially with a nearby park!).

Edit: So, Alberta, Kerns, Buckman, Sullivan's Gulch, and The Cully? Obviously whichever is closest to work, but yeah!

oldtintype:

Well, honestly I'm most concerned about sexual assault and robbery (both personal and of my living quarters). I'm not turned off by 'beat up' places or poor people (I've lived in a fairly poor neighborhood my whole life, basically), I'm just scared basically for my personal safety and that of my furkids.

I'd really like to rent a house with a yard, ideally a 2-bd, 1-ba. And with a good paycheck, $2000 a month is in reach.

It's really unfortunate that I don't know where I'll be working - I'm applying in Portland, but also Vancouver and the suburbs, so it's a crapshoot.

Of course, once I find out where I'll be working I'll make a new thread asking for recommendations with that in mind (this thread will presumably be dead by then).

Thanks to both of you, by the way! This is super helpful information, and I feel way more confident already.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:04 PM

892 posts, read 1,593,103 times
There's family friendly and 'family' friendly. As mentioned above, Portland is both. I wouldn't get too hung up on where to live until you find a job. Otherwise you could get your heart set on living in Montavilla but then have a job in Beaverton. I wouldn't live in Cully - too many unpaved roads without sidewalks for me.

If you get a job in Vancouver, try to live in Vancouver. It's a bit more suburb-y but the tax savings would be worth it, especially if you don't go out every night. You could head into Portland on the weekends or for a meetup easily enough.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SETabor View Post
There's family friendly and 'family' friendly. As mentioned above, Portland is both. I wouldn't get too hung up on where to live until you find a job. Otherwise you could get your heart set on living in Montavilla but then have a job in Beaverton. I wouldn't live in Cully - too many unpaved roads without sidewalks for me.

If you get a job in Vancouver, try to live in Vancouver. It's a bit more suburb-y but the tax savings would be worth it, especially if you don't go out every night. You could head into Portland on the weekends or for a meetup easily enough.
OMG! Great minds think a like, I guess. I ran upstairs to jot down the perfect neighborhood for you... Montavilla! And there you have it... SETabor hit it! The school feed in the hood us not so desirable for NE School standards so it has less school aged kids. Check this neighborhood out, OP. I think it sounds perfect for you.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:15 PM

Okay, will definitely put Montavilla at the top of my list, then!

Honestly, I'll probably take a week up there just to check out some of the area, and if I end up with a longer commute I'll just deal if it means living somewhere awesome.

(Within reason. If I get a job in Beaverton or Vancouver.. yeahh..)

This is all great information, though, and will help me make a better thread once I get a job settled.

By the way - can you all recommend a realtor or realty company? This is my first time out on my own and I'd prefer to go through a realtor to find a great house/duplex rather than trying to do it myself.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistKick View Post
Okay, will definitely put Montavilla at the top of my list, then!

Honestly, I'll probably take a week up there just to check out some of the area, and if I end up with a longer commute I'll just deal if it means living somewhere awesome.

(Within reason. If I get a job in Beaverton or Vancouver.. yeahh..)

This is all great information, though, and will help me make a better thread once I get a job settled.

By the way - can you all recommend a realtor or realty company? This is my first time out on my own and I'd prefer to go through a realtor to find a great house/duplex rather than trying to do it myself.
Try googling the hood so you can see the main area with shops, restaurants on Stark, I think. Also, we bought a house through Coldwell Banker-Barbara Seal location in NW. You can call them and get a referral if they don't do rentals. They were very good people to deal with and we came from out of state. Montavilla is a better fit than Cully. North Tabor is a good consideration, too. It is near Montavilla. The neighborhoods are close together and with a car you will enjoy all of them regularly.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 PM

That sounds really awesome. I'll see if I can't find work near that area, too. Although.. I was looking at Google Maps, and it seemed like Montavilla was literally only 5 miles or so from downtown Portland? That can't be right..

Also, Stark? Stark is the street the vegan mall is on! (I have a bit of a fancy for Food Fight Grocery, I'll admit it!) Edit: Whoops. Well.. it's on the same street, but a good distance down the road. Still! Pretty close!

I'll definitely get in contact with that realtor, and if nothing else, get a reference to someone reliable who handles rentals.

Thanks again!

Old 01-10-2014, 10:05 PM

Montavilla is only five miles away. Take the freeway on 82nd Ave to City Center. Easy and quick. Portland is not very big. Yes, there is going to be quite a selection for you here in the NE as a vegan. I am not a vegan or a vegetarian, for that matter, but when I had to go dairy free for a while, I was blown away by the options. I do believe Portland is a paradise for vegan and gluten free patrons in restaurants, bakeries, WFs, New Seasons, food carts... everywhere. You will probably gain five pounds in the first week of your visit! Keep asking questions. It's Winter and it's been raining harder than our PNW drizzle so many of us are huddled up inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland