Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 04:51 AM

146 posts, read 300,159 times

Advertisements

Where are your preferred locations in or near PDX to:

1) Have a fancy meal

2) Have a cheapie meal

3) See a movie

4) Get coffee

5) Drink a beer

6) Go for a nature hike

7) Spend your day off

8) See a gig

9) Buy groceries

Last edited by dent_arthur_dent; 01-15-2014 at 05:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,380 times
1) Paley's Place or Woodsman's Tavern. I really, really like the food at Beast but because of the communal tables, I wouldn't go on a date there. Unless the date is a total foodie and then I would consider it.

2) Either the bar around the corner of the food carts slightly further down the road.

3) I like the 21+ theaters at Cinetopia. First run movies and super comfy seats.

4) I usually hit up the drive thru Mocha Express. They're on my way to work. If I want to sit down and have a cup, whatever I'm closest too at the time. I'm not a huge coffee snob.

5) The bar around the corner. It's not the greatest bar but the people are friendly and the prices are reasonable and that's really all I ask for in a bar.

6) Usually Mt. Tabor because it's closest. If I'm willing to drive a very little - Powell Butte, if I'm willing to drive a little - Forest Park, if I'm willing to drive a little more - Multnomah Falls or other nearby falls. Further than that and I don't think you're in or near PDX any more.

7) Depends on my mood. Most of my days off are spent hanging or doing stuff around the house. Occasionally, I'll go to Powell's which can take the whole day or wander around a park somewhere.

8) The Aladdin Theater or the Crystal or Wonder Ballrooms. I've seen a couple of big touring shows at the Rose/Moda Center and it sucks. I just don't like arena shows. I don't see many shows any more and by saying gig, I'm assuming you don't mean the symphony.

9) We get most of our groceries at either Fred Meyer or Safeway. Fred Meyer is closer to my office and convenient for picking things up on my way home. Safeway is closer to my house and convenient when we need stuff on the weekend. We also hit up Costco and New Seasons on occasion.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:46 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
1.) Andina, Oba!, Torro Bravo,

2.) Any of the food carts. Taco Time.

3.) Cinetopia, or one of the vintage theaters like Laurelhurst, or Hollywood

4.) Don't drink coffee, but I like Anna Bannas on NW21. For good Coffee, everyone seems to swear by Barrista right now.

5.) On my couch

6.) Columbia River Gorge

7.) Depends on weather and mood. I spent yesterday walking around Downtown taking pictures. Went to Fort Stevens the weekend before. Seattle the previous weekend before that. Seeside the weekend before that. Alberta or Hawthorn for breakfast is a once a month thing, and I'll also admit to heading out to Spirit Mountain and then the beach for Breakfast also.

8.) Depends on type of band playing. Generally, wherever they can get booked. There are no places I'll avoid

9.) Beaverton Farmer's Markets, Grocery Outlet, New Seasons, Costco in that order. Hit up the Farmer's market to get fruits and veggies, Grocery Outlet as they frequently have a lot of organic/"natural" stuff on the shelves for cheap, New Seasons for things like meats and whatever Grocery Outlet didn't have. And then on to Costco about every 2-3 months to load up on shelf stable items that I can buy there in bulk.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:15 PM

240 posts, read 483,077 times
1) Natural Selection on Alberta.

2) Homegrown Smoker, food cart on Mississippi.

3) Living Room Theater.

4) Starbucks, but any local venue would be good.

5) I don't drink, but if I did, I'd have a beer at Biddy McGraw's on NE Glisan.

6) Tryon Creek State Park, SW Portland.

7) Powell's.

8) The Schnitz.

9) In order of preference, New Seasons, Market of Choice (SW), Fred Meyer. I like Food Fight! for some hard-to-find vegan items.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:34 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
Some of these are tough ... not really things I do (anymore).

1) Have a fancy meal:Cassidy's. Not big on fancy eating, but this one's an old favorite. Nice and relaxed atmosphere.

2) Have a cheapie meal:Burgerville or one of the many Teriyaki places around.

3) See a movie:Haven't been in quite a while, but the Fox Towers were my last "favorite" place.

4) Get coffee: Coava

5) Drink a beer:Not a big beer drinker, and don't go out "to drink" so maybe I'd say ... the East Bank.

6) Go for a nature hike: Columbia Gorge

7) Spend your day off: Oh, so many options, almost always prefaced by sleeping late. Picnicing at one of the parks along the river; strolling the shops along Hawthorne; Washington Park and the zoo; the Gorge; antiquing in Aurora or Sellwood.

8) See a gig: Roseland (is it still there?) or the Aladdin for more intimate settings.

9) Buy groceries: Farmers market, Costco, Trader Joes

Old 01-15-2014, 03:59 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
1) Have a fancy meal - single favorite? egads - too many to choose from. Am I eating alone, on a date, or with a group family style?

2) Have a cheapie meal The weird thing with Portland is that you don't have to spend a ton to eat well, but off-hand I can't think of much that's actually 'cheap' other than fast food. (Taco time) Even at a cart you're probably spending $7-10. With tip I end up spending $10-25 pretty much anywhere I go, even for lunch.

3) See a movie - Living Room theater. Also partial to the Regal in downtown Vanc. on weekends if you live in NoPo, though not worth trying to catch a Fri eve show b/c of bridge traffic. Some of the cooler local theaters (Hollywood, Laurelhurst) only have a few screens, but they're lively and worth hitting if and when they have something you really want to catch.

4) Get coffee - can't help you.

5) Drink a beer - Lots of options. The Dock doesn't have great beer, but it's hard to beat the ambience on a nice spring/summer/fall afternoon, and if you didn't know it was there, well, you'd never know it was there. But you wouldn't go there to meet people or catch a game while brewing.

6) Go for a nature hike - Smith & Bybee lakes is nice for bird watching and casual walking, if you can ignore the sound off the rail lines.

7) Spend your day off- What's that? Ideally people watching downtown including hitting food carts and a browse through Powells. But these days I'm lucky to have 20 min to catch a nap.

8) See a gig - the Aladdin, probably, though I could say the Blues fest. Outdoor summer shows are nice. Reality is that the type of show you want to see largely determines where you'll end up going, not preference for the venue itself.

9) Buy groceries - I'd like to say farmer's market, but these days it's more Fred Meyer, Grocery outlet, and then TJs every few weeks for some staples (peanut butter, TP) they sell pretty affordably, and yeah, we get most of our meat from New Seasons. They do a variety of pretty good quality for the price freezer packs.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:11 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,042,765 times
1) I've never had a fancy meal in PDX
2) Por Que No? on Hawthorne. best tacos made by white people I've had anywhere
3) Living Room Theatre
4) Water Street Espresso
5) Horse Brass Pub
6) I like just walking around the river
7) Mt. Hood Meadows
8) Doug Fir
9) New Seasons on Hawthorne

Old 01-15-2014, 04:51 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
1) Have a fancy meal - Jake's or RingSide Fish House

2) Have a cheapie meal - Gonzo (Israeli cart in SE), or Thai Roses or Pho Nguyen (both in Raleigh Hills) or Abhiruchi in Beaverton

3) See a movie - Valley Cinema Pub in Beaverton (planning to see Thor there this weekend)

4) Get coffee - Ava Roasteria in Beaverton

5) Drink a beer - McMenamin's - any location

6) Go for a nature hike - Tualatin Hills Nature Park, or rent a canoe on the Tualatin River

7) Spend your day off - at home

8) See a gig - Jimmy Mak's

9) Buy groceries - Fred Meyer, New Seasons, Safeway, Trader Joe's

Old 01-15-2014, 05:17 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,791 times
1) Have a fancy meal - Portland City Grill and the Chart House both have great views. Nothing REALLY noteworthy on either menu, but good food. You're paying for the views.

2) Have a cheapie meal - In the burbs, Fresh Grill in Beaverton. I also like Baja Fresh and some of the sushi conveyor belts. In the city, the carts are just too tempting to pass up.

3) See a movie - I'm not picky on this front. The more modern theaters have better sound systems, but I'll see a movie in any theater.

4) Get coffee - I agree with EnricoV that Coava has it going on! I stop whenever I'm in the neighborhood. Closer to me, Symposium in Tigard does a good job. Otherwise Peet's, then Starbucks. I like me some coffee!

5) Drink a beer - I have never had a bad beer (or a bad time) at Bailey's Taproom. They don't even serve food!

6) Go for a nature hike - Columbia River Gorge

7) Spend your day off - Day trip to the coast.

8) See a gig - I went to the Roseland and was surprised at how intimate it is there. I also like Mississippi Studios.

9) Buy groceries - New Seasons, Costco, Fred Meyer.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:11 PM

478 posts, read 881,538 times
1) Have a fancy meal- Nedd Ludd, Andina, Toro Bravo

2) Have a cheapie meal- Mio Sushi (not all that cheap...) DC Vegetarian, Tebo's, Rigoberto's

3) See a movie- No real preference

4) Get coffee- Don't like coffee Red Robe is very cool for tea, Ford Food and Drink for quaintness, Rimsky-Korsakoffehouse for outright odd.

5) Drink a beer- Don't drink either I like Buffalo Gap Saloon for their atmosphere and food.

6) Go for a nature hike- All over! Forest Park, Columbia Gorge, Camassia Natural Area, etc.

7) Spend your day off- Antiquing in Sellwood, fixing up my boat at Hayden Island

8) See a gig- Doug Fir

9) Buy groceries- Sheridan's, Barbur World Foods, H Mart, Uwajimaya, Winco, Grocery Outlet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland