Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 11:51 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I can't agree more, this is a huge factor with a child's education. A mediocre school can be the best school ever if their is healthy parental involvement with the advancement of education with the child.
I hope you still believe this once you move back and have kids. You will be pressured to get into one of "the best" schools but there are neighborhood schools that are good and would be even better if people in the neighborhoods gave them a try. I think your generation may have a shot at making the schools here more equitable. I wish you and your wife the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 09:24 AM

146 posts, read 300,159 times
It is interesting to look at the GreatSchools ratings -- there is a definite sense that those scores do not tell the whole story, and that there could well be a good deal of good that is overlooked by people who are just 'following the numbers.'

Old 01-27-2014, 02:56 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
In the past West Sylvan and Lincoln were competitive socially and academically, there is no reason to believe that has changed. My daughter thrived, my son was unhappy and changed schools.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:00 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
In the past West Sylvan and Lincoln were competitive socially and academically, there is no reason to believe that has changed. My daughter thrived, my son was unhappy and changed schools.
Perfect example of why it's so important to visit schools and look for what works for the individual.....

Old 03-18-2014, 04:05 AM

Yep -- it really isn't a one-school-fits-all situation.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:02 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I hope you still believe this once you move back and have kids. You will be pressured to get into one of "the best" schools but there are neighborhood schools that are good and would be even better if people in the neighborhoods gave them a try. I think your generation may have a shot at making the schools here more equitable. I wish you and your wife the best.
My wife loves that I am a researcher when it comes to things like this, so I will definitely be doing a ton of research when schools. We have a friend that has a kid in school in St Johns and is hugely involved in the neighborhood and the school, and basically swears by the quality of the school their child is going to.

I think we are fortunate to have a few friends and family that have kids now in Portland so we will be able to use them for help with deciding what type of schooling and which schools will be the best for our child when we one day have one.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:56 AM

That's the best scenario -- to actually have contacts within the schools who can give you more detailed reports on what the school is doing right/wrong.

I am curious about Madison High in NE: it is scored pretty badly on Greatschools but then there are lot of positive comments about it. Has anyone on here sent their kids to Madison? (Looking at the positive comments on Greatschools, there is something pretty suspicious about the way about a dozen of them were posted in the same three-day period.)

Last edited by dent_arthur_dent; 05-20-2014 at 03:15 AM..

Old 05-20-2014, 11:16 PM

Madison is a very diverse school economically, racially, country of origin, etc. There are pros and cons to that--a con is that not everyone is going to test well. A pro is that your kids meet a lot of different people like the real world.

Madison seems to have really made some great changes and there is a lot of positive feedback about the school, but the great schools rating will never compete with the likes of Lincoln as the number of ESL students alone at Madison will skew test results (which doesn't mean the school isn't good).

I definitely would not rule it out just based on their great school rating--see it in person and get a feel for it.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:42 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
The only reason why Lincoln students test well is that their parents have been insisting that they study and learn from the time they were in kindergarten. They are not innate geniuses.

Bottom line: parental involvement means more than the building. Peer relationships are also critical at that age.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:15 AM

Yes, that's my point--just because all of the kids don't test well doesn't mean the school isn't good. And not everyone has the luxury of being heavily involved (as in stay at home parent with expendable income). I think there is a larger parent base at Madison now that IS able to be involved this way which has helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland