Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 01:22 PM

19 posts, read 30,638 times

Advertisements

Lol I think we are focusing on the work part Alittle much, I'm more concerned with the neighborhoods and schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 02:33 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
Earlier postings ID the weaker school enrollment areas. The general area with the greatest number of Best Buy's is west of Portland, there is no neighborhood that I am aware of that is problematic that direction.

Generally speaking you want to live on the same side of the Willamette River as your job because of traffic pinch points.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:19 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,137,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFURNO View Post
Lol I think we are focusing on the work part Alittle much, I'm more concerned with the neighborhoods and schools
Any of the suburban neighborhoods and schools are going to be just fine. It'd be more a situation of where in the Milwaukie area, or where in the Tualatin area, etc. ... rather than one being better or worse than the other. And that depends on where the job is.

Unless you want an hour commute, you figure out first where you'll be working. Portland has these things called rivers and mountains that criss-cross the metro area. If you have to cross over one or more them during a commute, it can slow things monumentally. So, you don't want to do that. Most people move to Portland for quality of life. And you can't really get that if a good chunk of your day is spent apart from your family, needlessly sitting in traffic.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:05 PM

I understand but my family will be home 98% of the time or out on the town and my whole day will not be at work so given I can go to any town with a best buy or close commute its really just neighborhood recommendations. I spend over an hour with a work commute now and live 10 miles away from work. My commute isn't as important as my familys quality of life

Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,248 times
Quote:
I understand but my family will be home 98% of the time or out on the town and my whole day will not be at work so given I can go to any town with a best buy or close commute its really just neighborhood recommendations. I spend over an hour with a work commute now and live 10 miles away from work. My commute isn't as important as my familys quality of life
There aren't many areas that aren't enjoyable in some fashion or other. If it weren't for schools and traffic, you could live almost anywhere in the metro and be quite delighted. And off-peak, there are only a few places where traffic is a consideration.

Whereas traffic in rush hour can be hell. This is why people keep pushing you back - where you perceive we aren't answering your question, we are, albeit indirectly.

Off-topic, but I find the reputation system frustrating. I can't 'rate' most of the posts I like b/c I've liked other posts by the same poster. Though I suppose I could pull the thread up in a separate browser and anonymously like it.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:23 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,443 times
The "houses/townhouses under $200k" is perhaps your biggest limiting factor. Townhouses, possibly, but a $200k house is going to be a real fixer-upper... But you might be handy?

Maybe check out Vancouver, WA. There's a Best Buy at the Vancouver Mall. You could also consider Salem or Springfield down south.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:36 PM

I found a 3br, 2.5 bh house in st helens for 150k, but dont know if thats reasonable for the area, what the town is like, schools and such. I appreciate the feedback I guess I was just looking for more details about the towns. That is not going to be my lasting job but something to pay the bills until I land something with police. I found a townhouse in sherwood for 135k. Again not sure if thats worthwhile if in terms of the town. I really like the portland suburbs because I like the idea of being alittle more than hour from the beach, couple hours from mt hood and parks and short drive into downtown portland. Or is oregon city something worth while being alittle further out because its that awesome of a place.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:26 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,248 times
Quote:
I found a 3br, 2.5 bh house in st helens for 150k, but dont know if thats reasonable for the area, what the town is like, schools and such. I appreciate the feedback I guess I was just looking for more details about the towns. That is not going to be my lasting job but something to pay the bills until I land something with police. I found a townhouse in sherwood for 135k. Again not sure if thats worthwhile if in terms of the town. I really like the portland suburbs because I like the idea of being alittle more than hour from the beach, couple hours from mt hood and parks and short drive into downtown portland. Or is oregon city something worth while being alittle further out because its that awesome of a place.
Sherwood is a bit rural (but as a bonus, it has traffic!), but St. Helens is seriously out there. Is it even technically in the metro? It's a long way to anywhere.

I'd look at Vancouver/Battle Ground or Salem, or Oregon City, or any number of other places.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:01 PM

I know its may seem like a non important detail but I'd rather be in OR than WA. And is st Helens really that far? I checked and it was 30 min from downtown Portland

Old 01-27-2014, 06:14 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,622,443 times
Quote:
I know its may seem like a non important detail but I'd rather be in OR than WA.
Well, you must have your reasons. But if you have specific questions about the difference between OR and WA living, we're here to help.

Quote:
And is st Helens really that far? I checked and it was 30 min from downtown Portland
It's 30 miles, but not 30 minutes. US 30 is not a freeway. You have to pass through Scappoose (stoplights) and then when you hit Linnton it's pretty slow going. Also lots of industrial traffic from Linnton into the city. And in winter it can be icy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland