Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:56 AM

9 posts, read 9,211 times

Advertisements

I need a helpful hand in getting me to go in the right direction.

Im 40, currently unemployed, and newly single; not much holding me back at this stage of the game and since I have to basically restart my life, I figured I might as well try a place I've always wanted to live in.

I only have a couple grand to survive on, so I'm trying to find a place to live that's as cheap as possible AWAY FROM gangs and heavy criminal activity.

I'm used to barely scraping by, so a small efficiency or the like doesn't bother me, nor do roommates.

Access to public transportation would be key.

I'm about to just jump on a plane and come up, so what advice can you give ( and those grizzled bastards who arent going to be helpful can post elsewhere) to someone in my situation as to an area of Portland to head to first as a beginning step in settling down and what I might have to prepare for?

Last edited by Godfeast; 01-27-2014 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 09:16 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,510,182 times
Stay where you are and rebuild your career. Then get a job in this area.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:24 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Portland in general is not a heavy crime city like you would find in other cities. I would hope you have the ability to find work easy doing something that is easy to get a job in. I will say that it would be better to stay where you are and build up first, but if you have to move, you have to move.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:03 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,612,650 times
Places that are cheap = no jobs. So you will run out of money slowly, but you'll have a tough time finding a job.

Places with jobs = not cheap. So you will run out of money fast. UNLESS you find work fast. I'm talking within the first week or two.

But what the hey? You only live once. You might be that one in 10 guy/gal who comes here pretty much with just the clothes on their backs and is the success story. I just pity the other 9.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:17 AM

Florida is not the place to re-establish anything. I tried.

I need helpful information on the area and some tips on moving, not people pointing out I shouldn't come.

Thank you anyways - and I know I'm on the short end of the stick either way. I have to go with what I've got.

Still looking for help.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:22 AM

have you looked at roommate situations on craigslist?

Old 01-27-2014, 10:26 AM

i have eye-balled it, but without knowing what areas are high crime/ areas to avoid, I dont know which to follow up on.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfeast View Post
Florida is not the place to re-establish anything. I tried.

I need helpful information on the area and some tips on moving, not people pointing out I shouldn't come.

Thank you anyways - and I know I'm on the short end of the stick either way. I have to go with what I've got.

Still looking for help.
Move with the least amount of things. If you are gonna have a car, plan the fastest drive possible, which that will still eat up a chunk of money. The better choice would be to sell the car, find a sublet anywhere in Portland that you can afford that is on a bus line or a light rail line, buy a plane ticket, and fly here with the plan to find any job the moment you get here so that you can then find a more permanent place.

That should be the primary things to think about. You don't have to worry about neighborhood crime or gangs because you won't find anything that is as bad as what you are use to.

Once you are here and starting to get established, you will have a much better idea of what you are looking for in Portland.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfeast View Post
i have eye-balled it, but without knowing what areas are high crime/ areas to avoid, I dont know which to follow up on.
There isn't really area to avoid or any real high crime areas in Portland.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There isn't really area to avoid or any real high crime areas in Portland.
Ditto. Petty theft (car break-ins and such) are fairly common in the lower-income areas, but violent crime is not. Find something along the MAX line or along a frequent bus route for easy transportation. Trimet posts their route map online: TriMet: Public Transit in the Portland Area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland