Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 06:58 AM

34 posts, read 74,591 times

Advertisements

I know it's kinda controversial but seeing as I'm going to school for journalism I like getting to the bottom of things and trying to understand all points of view. Just like to know people's real thoughts on this...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 08:09 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,434,579 times
I had to look this up as I wasn't aware of the issue.

Trader Joe's pulls plug on Northeast Portland development after 'negative reactions' from community | OregonLive.com

Old 02-04-2014, 08:37 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
Personally, I can hardly imagine the objections. It's a good store and will hire many people.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:57 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Part of the controversy was that PDC was selling the land to Majestic Realty (for Trader Joe's) for $500,000 when the land was appraised at $2.9 million. The developer supposedly hosted an even at the El Gaucho steakhouse downtown that was attended by PDC officials prior to the deal being signed.

That aside though, this was basically opposed by an African-American community group, that's very sensitive about gentrification(though the group hardly speaks for the entire population of that neighborhood at this point). Though at this point the neighborhood is already pretty far down the stages of gentrification. At least having a Trader Joes in the neighborhood would provide a fairly affordable grocery option--the Whole Foods and New Seasons nearby are pricey and even the Safeway up the street isn't a bargain(and basically sucks).

As far as the PAALF's complaints that they'd rather see affordable housing in the site, there's already a lot of affordable housing that was built on MLK just up the street. What the street really lacks is any sort of retail anchor to draw people to it. Vanport Square next to that lot has a nice collection of businesses yet they're often fairly empty compared to any place on Williams or Alberta or even Killingsworth these days.

I lived in North/Northeast not far from this site for six years, and gentrification is a painful issue for many, but at the same time usually the complaints about it usually don't accomplish anything that those rallying against a development are seeking. The same thing happened on N Mississippi when a few people were upset about the Mississippi Lofts being built and in the end the street ended up with an even bigger apartment building down the block. Eventually that lot on MLK will be developed, and maybe what goes in won't be as good an option as a Trader Joes(and might not be built by a African-American owned construction firm as was proposed).

Old 02-04-2014, 10:23 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
I am happy to see this project die because it is such a key location that deserves something more urban and mixed use rather than a suburban style grocery store and parking lot. If the city is planning to run a streetcar up MLK, this block is probably going to be a streetcar stop and should be something that maximizes the density of that lot.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:28 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
I'm confused about the site - the photo in the article looks like 50th/Alberta from the signage, but from comments that's not at all where they were building (how hard would it be to send a photographer to shoot the actual site?).

If it's in the North Williams/MLK area, which seems to be what's implied, you're looking at some traditional working class and middle class African-American neighborhoods which are steadily moving towards upper-middle class white neighborhoods. They can't be pleased that the city seems to be doing a giveaway to hasten that process, and honestly I can't really blame them.

A decade ago Woodlawn was about 20% below median metro prices - prices have since doubled, and have more or less come into line with the city average. Nice to have services nearby, unless you're being priced out altogether.

On the discount pricing (and as Deezus notes, they're offering a pretty huge discount in that original deal), the city has frustrated a lot of residents with their land deals. The convention center hotel proposals being a similar hot-button topic, though you could also look at a variety of other stories, like the article on Lents in the WW a week or so back. Razed & Confused: $96 Million Spent to Revive East Portland's Lents. Where's the Rebirth?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:06 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,708,684 times
[quote=Deezus;33322128]I lived in North/Northeast not far from this site for six years, and gentrification is a painful issue for many,quote]

I am all for Gentrification for the most part. Cleans up the neighborhood and brings new business and jobs to the area. BUT once that happens it seems that home prices go up and rents go up and the low income people are forced to move. Just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:50 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,772 times
[quote=scottinpdx;33324420]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I lived in North/Northeast not far from this site for six years, and gentrification is a painful issue for many,quote]

I am all for Gentrification for the most part. Cleans up the neighborhood and brings new business and jobs to the area. BUT once that happens it seems that home prices go up and rents go up and the low income people are forced to move. Just my opinion and I could be wrong.
One problem in NoPo is that there's really nowhere left for displaced people to move to. Most of the other districts are likewise gentrifying (or like Alberta, already mostly there), and other than a small stock of "cheaper" stuff left along the rail beds or the mobile home parks, there's very little left nearby for them to go to.

In east Portland the solution is to keep bumping the poor east towards the Gresham line (which I wouldn't say is ideal, but it's somethign) - in north you can't really do even that. Most of the land north of Lombard is zoned industrial, and then there's that whole blue stripe across the map that's challenging to build upon.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:00 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
It will all depend upon what will be built there. I don't think a Trader Joe's is going to attract any more higher income people to the neighborhood. If instead of TJ's a New Season's moves in, their whole purpose will be defeated. I don't consider Trader Joe's as necessarily an example of gentrification because their prices are lower than many of the supermarkets at which people shop. But if an upscale store like Zupan's or New Seasons moves in, the lower income people will not be able to afford to shop there.

If, however, some type of lower income housing will be built, then that would be more in line of that which would benefit the people who are afraid they will be priced out of the neighborhood. It would really be unusual to see moderately priced housing to go up there. It will be interesting to see just what does. It could wind up something like this.

Building boom begins, goats depart

Displaced goats, displaced people.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Another thing that puzzles me is that if you read the article about the goat land that is going to be developed into housing, they say the the owners of the property are aiming for people in their 30's and 40's who are willing to pay $1600 a month for 800 sq ft worth of apartment space.

But I would think that by the time people reach those ages they would be looking to be raising families and would want more space than that. Not that there is anything wrong with growing up in apartments in the city, I did. But they were very large apartments and most had yards and were walking distances to schools. I don't see that in this neighborhood. And 800 sq ft is probably going to be one bedroom. I don't see that all very conducive to having enough space in which to raise a family.

That seems to be the way the trend is going here but with smaller apartments and high price tags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland