Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:26 PM

147 posts, read 315,959 times

Advertisements

We lived in Oregon for two and a half years and overall, we didn't mind the fact that we couldn't pump our own gas. A lot of my co-workers pumped gas for their first job. It can be a bit annoying if the station is super busy and you have to wait for them to get back to you (some will let you remove the nozzle-they just have to start the fueling process).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 09:53 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,621,160 times
Ah the dog days of summer. I guess people just don't have anything better going on...

Old 07-03-2014, 12:53 AM

986 posts, read 2,506,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImAnEnigma View Post
Hello,

I was wondering is it difficult and/or annoying not to be able to pump your own gas? I drove through Oregon and was told it was illegal. The first time I stopped to get gas they ran up to my car to pump my gas and I thought..."Oh well that's a nice service this station provides...I hope they weren't expecting a tip".

The second time it was done at a different station I just told the guy that I've got it...He looked at me a little strange. This last time at yet another gas station I told the guy same thing and he replied, "No you can't, it's illegal". I thought he was pulling my leg to get a tip...He was like, "If a cop catches you, you can be fined up to $1,000.00". Being born and raised in California I was literally shocked, I had never heard of such a law and was told NJ is the same way...Anyways, how do you guys like it? Does it take some getting use to and are the attendants usually pretty quick about it? Especially if you'r e in a hurry? Thanks!
After being here for well over a year, expecting it to be annoying at first, I actually like the freedom of not messing with it now. It really hasn't held me up for time, but that can happen on busy days so I usually buy gas at off hours.

Just check now and then that your gas cap was seated properly, especially when the pump jockeys seem to be in a hurry. I didn't like it one time when a guy set my gas cap (thread down) on top of a dirty pump top instead of in the fuel tank door hook.

Also, it's considered slightly rude to pull into a station for the sole purpose of washing your window (in a more thorough way than they might do it). But I've gotten no real flack over it. I just ask and they usually shrug it off. It only costs them a little dirty water and sponge wear.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:21 AM

7 posts, read 28,641 times
Sorry, this question may have been answered already, I didn’t read the entire thread, but do these gas attendants expect a tip?

Old 03-27-2018, 06:41 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,074,921 times
never

Old 03-27-2018, 08:21 AM

32,624 posts, read 47,939,094 times
How difficult is it? It's really hard. You have to sit in your car, out of the weather, and hand money or card through the window.

It's so difficult that a lot of people appear to be incapable of sitting there quietly without howling in protest.

I suspect that they are the same people in restaurants who get up and walk behind the counter to refill their own coffee cup because it is so offensive to have the waitress do it for them.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:18 AM

3,063 posts, read 1,677,375 times
Not difficult for us at all. We never pay for gas with cards, cash only. Which means a trip into the store but neither of us wants those charges on our cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland