Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 02:08 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Or Idaho. Or California. And it frequently it's cheaper. I certainly make it a point to fill up before crossing state lines as often as possible.
Oregon is currently slightly cheaper than Washington and definitely cheaper than California, though you might be able to find cheaper gas on the northern end of California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 02:25 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
I have never had a "lengthy delay" unless I decided to fill up at 5pm when everybody else had the same idea.
Most of the time I'm in and out within 10 minutes.
Honestly, are the few extra minutes it may take such a disaster overall?
I can't believe that anyones time is so valuable that a few minutes is going to cause such a huge problem.

If you don't like the service at one station, try another. It's not like there are only two gas stations in Oregon.

As always, there sure are a lot of misconceptions in this/these gas pumping thread(s).

I firmly believe the biggest factor influencing those who don't like Oregon's system is a "control freak" personality.
They can't control it, they can't do it themselves, they have to just sit there and wait, and this drives some people absolutely batty.

Sure, gas may be a little cheaper without the labor overhead, but you can be sure that Oregon's corrupt money grubbing politicians would increase gas taxes and fill that void quickly.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 02-06-2014 at 03:12 PM..

Old 02-06-2014, 03:46 PM

378 posts, read 974,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
I have never had a "lengthy delay" unless I decided to fill up at 5pm when everybody else had the same idea.
Most of the time I'm in and out within 10 minutes.
Honestly, are the few extra minutes it may take such a disaster overall?
I can't believe that anyones time is so valuable that a few minutes is going to cause such a huge problem.

If you don't like the service at one station, try another. It's not like there are only two gas stations in Oregon.

As always, there sure are a lot of misconceptions in this/these gas pumping thread(s).

I firmly believe the biggest factor influencing those who don't like Oregon's system is a "control freak" personality.
They can't control it, they can't do it themselves, they have to just sit there and wait, and this drives some people absolutely batty.

Sure, gas may be a little cheaper without the labor overhead, but you can be sure that Oregon's corrupt money grubbing politicians would increase gas taxes and fill that void quickly.

Feel free to be as lackadaisical as you wish but my time is more valuable to me.

And it is control, it's the fact I can control things better. As the driver of a single vehicle I can direct my entire attention to the pump for the entire duration of the fill for "safety". Mr (or Ms) Gas Filler has to split their attention among all the other cars they service. And if they actually move at something faster than a glacial pace (which is rare) they have even less time to pay attention to my fillup, hence the nearly lost gas cap which happened twice to me last year.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwilsonbsee View Post
Feel free to be as lackadaisical as you wish but my time is more valuable to me.

And it is control, it's the fact I can control things better. As the driver of a single vehicle I can direct my entire attention to the pump for the entire duration of the fill for "safety". Mr (or Ms) Gas Filler has to split their attention among all the other cars they service. And if they actually move at something faster than a glacial pace (which is rare) they have even less time to pay attention to my fillup, hence the nearly lost gas cap which happened twice to me last year.
I take it you never go out to eat at restaurants?

How does one pump gas better? Don't you just squeeze the handle like everyone else? You don't literally "pump" gas when you go pump gas.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:17 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You don't pay any more in gas than states that don't have this law, and often times you pay less. And I like many other Oregonians will continue to vote in favor of gas attendants.
I understand and I get it - YOU LIKE THIS SERVICE. What I do not understand why you want OR gov't to mandate it forceably on the public. With all due respect, most of the comments here are based on some sort of emotional appeal, not logic.

If gas was 5-10 cents cheaper w/o this regulation, would it change any minds?
The jobs arguement is just silly. Jobs should be created around value creation, not "make work."

Old 02-06-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I take it you never go out to eat at restaurants?

How does one pump gas better? Don't you just squeeze the handle like everyone else? You don't literally "pump" gas when you go pump gas.
I sure don't wait for several minutes to start and stop a fill - that seems like a superior methodology. You do literally: "insert the credit card", "remove the gas cap", "insert the nozzle", "remove the nozzle", and "insert gas cap". These are all things that I "literally" do when I "pump" "gas" and guess what? I can do them faster on a regular basis than: waiting for an attendant, hoping they get my zip code right when they swipe my card, hoping they hear the click when the pump stops and show back up at the pump in a timely manner and hope my car is left as I found it when I entered the station (plus fuel).

And I do eat out all the time - I'm a terrible cook.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
I understand and I get it - YOU LIKE THIS SERVICE. What I do not understand why you want OR gov't to mandate it forceably on the public. With all due respect, most of the comments here are based on some sort of emotional appeal, not logic.

The jobs arguement is just silly. Jobs should be created around value creation, not "make work."
Agreed, if they had full service and self service at a station - then people would be more than welcome to use the full service and pay the 5/10 cent premium.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:30 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Doesn't this thing periodically come up for a vote? How does that translate into the Oregon "gov't" forcing it on anyone?

Old 02-06-2014, 04:37 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,333,043 times
It is a voter driven mandate.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

Actually the government isn't forcing anything on the public, it comes up for a vote every so often and it is the majority of Oregonians that support to keep it. You don't like it, don't blame the government because it is the majority of Oregonians that want it.

And when gas is over $3 a gallon, you aren't going to notice 5-10 cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland