Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 10:03 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times

Advertisements

Hopworks is also a restaurant that's kid friendly. There's no requirement to drink there, many go just for the kid's play area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Hopworks is also a restaurant that's kid friendly. There's no requirement to drink there, many go just for the kid's play area.
Another good reason to get out on the streets in this weather.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:44 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
Since I imagine you don't have a few small kids in your home at this point in time it's easy to say that.
I'm lucky in that we have several things we were able to walk to easily, including a grocery store and a park to mix things up when boredom really kicked in (plus my kids had snow gear/boots). Many people have been more or less house bound for days because they don't have the proper weather gear and well, if I was in that situation I might be looking to head over to the kid's play area at Hopworks too.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:24 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Wife made me make a midnight run to get anchovies for her.

No joke.

The side roads were nasty, main roads were so-so. 4wd truck made it doable.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:12 AM

638 posts, read 1,178,649 times
Neighbors had a little happy hour yesterday evening (we all walked). It was nice to look at someone else's walls for an hour or so!

Old 02-10-2014, 10:32 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,453,752 times
Quote:
4wd truck made it doable.
Yep, same for me. I loaded up the bed with some railroad ties for weight, lowered the air pressure in my tires and drove around Portland checking on some of my elderly friends and relatives.

Made some runs for food and meds (and TP---HaHa) for the people who couldn't get out, and made snowmen with my grand-daughters.

Driving was stressful, but overall, kinda fun.
I was out everyday, even in the worst of it.
The worst parts were kids in SUVs and lifted 4x4's driving around crazy like they owned the roads.
Other than those types, the roads were fairly clear of traffic.
I stayed out of busy areas during the Friday commute.

I personally did not have any problems getting around whatsoever, and my wife (who was with me) took tons of cool pictures.

As the roads were clear of traffic, the biggest thing was to go slow enough in the neighborhoods so if somebody walked/appeared in front of you, you could stop safely.

All and all it was a lot of fun and after it was all over, I had a few warm toddys, smoked a good cigar, and relaxed.

IMHO, the driving conditions were far, far worse in 2008.

Now we can wait for nice warm rain and lots of flooding!

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 02-10-2014 at 11:31 AM..

Old 02-10-2014, 03:04 PM

206 posts, read 259,975 times
All I ever hear is how active and outdoorsy people are in Portland. HA. Foiled by three inches of snow.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:07 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
We had a lot more than 3 inches.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:08 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnyard Bletch View Post
All I ever hear is how active and outdoorsy people are in Portland. HA. Foiled by three inches of snow.
People were skiing in my neighborhood when it was just snow. It was more the ice storm that shut everything down.

Old 02-10-2014, 04:29 PM

240 posts, read 483,209 times
Mike, good on you for going out to check on and help others!

Someone just came in the last hour to shovel our walks, thankfully. I haven't been able to get out to the mailbox or to throw the trash (if I'd had a shovel and some cleats for my boots I could have done both, of course). Winnyard, there's a foot of snow here in the area where I live, atop a hill on a hilly SW street. Make fun all you wish, but that makes me appreciate people like pdxMike even more. It's a lot easier to spout disparaging remarks than get out and help others, isn't it? Let's hope you don't need help with snowy/icy conditions one day.

Sorry, but after a few days of this, my usual good humor has worn thin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland