U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 02:20 PM

8,006 posts, read 13,612,740 times

Advertisements

The good jobs are also interviewed and announced two to three months before they start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 02:25 PM

6,415 posts, read 9,907,282 times
My niece, who is a nurse, had no trouble finding a job in Portland upon graduation.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:30 PM

8,006 posts, read 13,612,740 times
You have unearthed and brought to light a nasty little secret going on right now. As Administrators get younger, they are choosing new hires who are younger and right out of school to (A) Save Money, and (B) Retain the Employee Longer. Older more experienced employees want more, and expect more. Younger employees get on board and perform many tasks just as well in a short time.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:45 PM

79 posts, read 188,316 times
Thank you for all the good advice.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:33 AM

Update: I am still living in Las Vegas after a crazy 2013 and 2014 in terms of employment, I finally found the job I wanted working from home doing case management and I passed my CCM certification. I can now move to Portland and already have a job, however, my next problem since the first one is solved, is finding a place that will take my three dogs. I have a plane flight booked for May 8-11 to come back to Portland. I am so looking forward to it. If you know of a reputable property management company or landlord that would be interested in renting to us, send me an email. I want to stay within walking distance to the MAXX line wherever that is. I need a small house with a fenced yard. I have money for deposits. I am in no hurry but would like to move before September if possible.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:41 PM

9,590 posts, read 9,272,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
You have unearthed and brought to light a nasty little secret going on right now. As Administrators get younger, they are choosing new hires who are younger and right out of school to (A) Save Money, and (B) Retain the Employee Longer. Older more experienced employees want more, and expect more. Younger employees get on board and perform many tasks just as well in a short time.
Steve, you're alive! I thought... we thought...... alien abduction? Or was it one of the longer.... vacations... you know what I mean... btw plenty of old farts worship youth and vigor. When they are in management positions they surround themselves with the young and the restless... because they can...

Old 02-02-2015, 01:09 PM

45 posts, read 40,758 times
Sorry Leisesturm, that Steve post is dated from last year.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:29 PM

Trust me an experienced well seasoned nurse is worth her weight in gold.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:13 PM

9,762 posts, read 15,639,840 times
Three dogs... ouch! Because you will be working from home you can look in suburbs such as Canby, towns on the commute time edge.

I assume you are renting now, that being the case get a 'letter of reference' from your landlord and perhaps even your neighbors to support the fact that your dogs are good neighbors. If you have had obedience training gather up those certificates and copy them.

Then make the case to a landlord that you and your dogs will be a good tenant. Sell yourself and your dogs.

Again, because you will be working from home, you could consider Vancouver & environs.

Last edited by Nell Plotts; 02-02-2015 at 05:39 PM..

Old 02-02-2015, 08:03 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,729,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamsnno View Post
I am telling someone my experience here in Portland, I am being honest with her, not putting down your little city. She should be careful as jobs are hard to find, fair enough?
I think it's more accurate that there are a lot of people looking for jobs here who aren't getting hired, not just people who aren't from Oregon having trouble. I know of several people (from Oregon) who have been looking for several months. Portland is just a tough market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or