U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-26-2014, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
1,012 posts, read 1,251,044 times
Reputation: 518

Advertisements

PSU faculty may be about to go on strike. There are a lot of problems with the current administration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-26-2014, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,055 posts, read 27,343,663 times
Reputation: 7819
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I'm sure you had a wonderful time at PSU, but it's not even worth the in state tuition. I'm sure you can get a great education there, but the reputation just isn't there. Oregon public universities just aren't that good or well known academically. I'm sure "there are some good programs." Which can be said for any school, but at the end of the day, if you want to live in the NW and go public, it's UDub or bust.
There are a lot of good options in the Northwest, your idea that it is UW or bust is just wrong and something only an east coaster would say if they had no idea what they were talking about when it came to colleges in the Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,055 posts, read 27,343,663 times
Reputation: 7819
Quote:
Originally Posted by turquoise1 View Post
PSU faculty may be about to go on strike. There are a lot of problems with the current administration.
I know low salary pay has been a problem for a long time, what other issue are they having? I don't keep up on the day to day news at PSU like I use to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
1,012 posts, read 1,251,044 times
Reputation: 518
Urbanlife, if you want to read about some of the problems, you could check out the American Association of University Professors website. It sounds pretty bad. Firings of professors who are agitating, etc.

Last edited by turquoise1; 02-26-2014 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
8,803 posts, read 7,096,182 times
Reputation: 4492
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Udub is about $25,000--out of reach for most.
But Portland State is like $23k out of state. If you're going to spend the dough, go to a Top 15 public school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
There is a need for urban collages like PSU
On this point, we certainly agree. Richmond, VA, my hometown has a similar set up with Virginia Commonwealth University. That school basically saved my butt since I was able to get a class for the last second to finish my masters before starting work. No doubt in my mind that these schools are worth the investment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
--not everyone goes to college at age 18 and not everyone can move far away to attend college.
I undestand that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
No one is suggesting PSU Is Harvard but there are not "one or two bright spots."
I'm well aware. I'm not saying it doesn't serve it's purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 09:35 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
8,803 posts, read 7,096,182 times
Reputation: 4492
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There are a lot of good options in the Northwest, your idea that it is UW or bust is just wrong and something only an east coaster would say if they had no idea what they were talking about when it came to colleges in the Northwest.
There are indeed a lot of good options in the Northwest. None of which are worth leveraging up to $75 k to attend out of state, except for University of Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,055 posts, read 27,343,663 times
Reputation: 7819
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
There are indeed a lot of good options in the Northwest. None of which are worth leveraging up to $75 k to attend out of state, except for University of Washington.
I disagree, I don't think any college is worth that amount in out of state tuition, it is better to go to a private college if you are going out of state. Public colleges work best for in state residents.

PSU out of state runs about $18-24K out of state depending on the number of credits the student takes. For in state it only costs about $6-8K a year, which is a good deal for those living in Oregon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
8,803 posts, read 7,096,182 times
Reputation: 4492
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I disagree, I don't think any college is worth that amount in out of state tuition, it is better to go to a private college if you are going out of state. Public colleges work best for in state residents.

PSU out of state runs about $18-24K out of state depending on the number of credits the student takes. For in state it only costs about $6-8K a year, which is a good deal for those living in Oregon.
That's news to me. I was reading somewhere that PSU was $13k in tuition per year (which wouldn't include room/board etc). If it's only $6k then I retract a portion of my statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Portland, Oregon
46,055 posts, read 27,343,663 times
Reputation: 7819
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
That's news to me. I was reading somewhere that PSU was $13k in tuition per year (which wouldn't include room/board etc). If it's only $6k then I retract a portion of my statement.
It is $13K because that includes room and board, I usually drop that part when looking at tuition costs because that can vary from person to person. Just the cost of college at PSU is $6-8K a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2014, 10:39 AM
 
2,430 posts, read 5,691,294 times
Reputation: 1221
And graduate degrees are about $15,000 per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top