Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 07:06 PM

192 posts, read 423,843 times

Advertisements

We are coming at he end of the month and staying at The Nines downtown. We are all late 30's looking for restaurant and bar recommendations that will have people our age in the downtown area.

We are also looking for what are the must see things...so far we have Voodoo, food trucks, Saturday market, and the waterfront area

Any help would be great, especially dinner restaurants.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 08:18 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
I can't tell you much about the downtown restaurant & bar scene, although if it's a clear day, try and have cocktails or dinner at sunset at Portland City Grill on the 30th floor of US Bancorp Tower (aka Big Pink, the 2nd tallest office tower in PDX) - fairly good food, but incredible views of the surrounding mountains.

Food carts are a great idea for a fun lunch. The biggest pod is bordered by 9th-Washington-10th-Alder, an easy 4-5 block walk west of The Nines. Do note that you'll be eating outside, though, so plan for the weather.

FYI that the Saturday market doesn't open until February 28th this year, so if you're coming before that, note that it won't be open.

And in regards to Voodoo, if you're mobile and don't like really long lines (standing only and almost entirely outside), try their second location across the Burnside Bridge at 1501 NE Davis. Same selection of donuts, but much less (sometimes none at all) wait time, and much of it is inside. It's about a 5-10 minute drive from the Nines

PS: If you're from the South Sound area, Legendary Donuts in Auburn has the same unusual donuts, but are both tastier & fresher, IMO.

Old 02-08-2015, 09:57 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie181 View Post
We are coming at he end of the month and staying at The Nines downtown. We are all late 30's looking for restaurant and bar recommendations that will have people our age in the downtown area.

We are also looking for what are the must see things...so far we have Voodoo, food trucks, Saturday market, and the waterfront area

Any help would be great, especially dinner restaurants.

Thanks!
Voodoo is just a tourist trap, as is Saturday market really. They've become the "thing" to do but they really aren't that great--there is so much more to Portland that is cool and interesting.

Food carts are definitely a good suggestion-- hit up Powells Books (you don't even have to enjoy reading to appreciate Powells) and then walk a few blocks to the giant pod of food trucks on SW 10th. You can also hit Blue Star Donuts a few blocks away as well. And then there's Salt and Straw ice cream which is fantastic and a streetcar ride away on NW 23rd.

There are tons of great brewpubs in the same area (Deschutes and Bridgeport as examples). Basically all my suggestions are pretty much walking distance from each other or a short streetcar ride away.

A lot of the places people seem to suggest tourists visit are all in the area called Old Town which is where all the homeless services are. Then you have people come on here and complain that Portland wasn't what they expected. It drives me crazy that Voodoo and Saturday Market are deemed "Portland." There are so many more cool things to see and do--whether you're 20 or 40. There's another current thread on here where people have listed some great examples.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:59 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Oldintype- YES! CoCo Donuts which is located downtown has excellent donuts.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:43 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
The many of the shops on NW 23rd have unique merchandise. The first couple blocks (just N of Burnside) have national retailers, walk further north for the boutiques (or if you take the streetcar walk south).

A car can be a PITA in the core area, you will have more fun with a day transit pass.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:38 PM

780 posts, read 1,577,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Voodoo is just a tourist trap, as is Saturday market really. They've become the "thing" to do but they really aren't that great--there is so much more to Portland that is cool and interesting.
To add another two cents, I'd have to agree. Voodoo is fun for a visitor, but not really that great for donut connoisseurs and/or gluttons (I'm admittedly a donut glutton). Very often, they are borderline, if not actually, stale. And wait times downtown put that location on the "don't bother" list for me. The only time we ever get them is when we have a soccer event at the field adjacent Voodoo Too.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:47 PM

34 posts, read 51,183 times
Personally, I like Voodoo Donuts and I always take visiting friends and relatives there. I've never had a stale doughnut from them. Friends and relatives have always loved it-- the doughnuts AND the experience, even the wait in line.

Other eats-and-treats to hit up while here:
Coava Coffee on SE Grand. I don't have to explain this one. Just go. Even if you don't like coffee. You will love theirs.

Bamboo Sushi for dinner-- the NW 23rd location. Great bar and the best, just the BEST, sushi. Don't like sushi? Go for the experience and order veggie rolls or grilled fish. It's local, and FRESH.

If it's a clear day, go to Portland City Grill for the views. If it's not clear, don't bother.

Spend some time in the Pearl District and eat at Isabel's. Great food. Everyone I send there thanks me.

For a cozy little wine bar with a great atmosphere and live music-- go to Vie de Bohème on SE 7th Avenue. This place doesn't get a lot of hype, but it's solid. You and your girlfriends will probably really enjoy it.

Another REALLY delish seafood place is Roe on Division. Also a nice bar.
For cheaper eats, the Deschutes Brewery and the Bridgeport Brewpub are in the Pearl District. I never buy Deschutes beer at the store, but it is just so, so good at the brewery. Widmer is across the river.

And on the drinking note, a place that's not far from your hotel is the Multnomah Whiskey Library. Very nice. If you're not a member, you can still be seated as a drop-in. You just can't make reservations. They serve dinner as well.

About Saturday Market. Well. . . meh. The PSU farmers market is so much nicer-- in the park blocks. BUT, if you're coming this time of year it won't be open yet. Wait. . . WHY are you visiting Portland in February?! May will be much nicer!

Anyway, hope this gets you started! Enjoy your visit!

Old 02-09-2015, 08:42 PM

192 posts, read 423,843 times
Thanks everyone for your suggestions! My friend is moving and we are doing this trip before she goes! Great suggestions!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: