Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 04:00 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,641,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
We are full-up with psychology, social worker, urban planning graduates. I suggest you find a major that prepares you for a job with a career path.
This

One other thing if you wanted to move to Portland I would do this. I would work all you can for two years save money build up a nest egg up . Do some volunteer work in that field if you can . Also volunteer places and jobs that interest you. Then in a few years you have some money saved hopefully 10k or more if you live at home you will know what you want to do with the rest of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 07:48 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
The OP posted this thread in the main Oregon forum as well, but I'll repeat my point that out-of-state public is amongst your most expensive, lowest ROI options.
This. It makes sense if you're going to Berkeley or UCLA or some place that is on par with elite private institutions. But to take on that sort of debt to get a very common degree from a second rate school is nothing short of madness.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:32 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
I would only be willing to pay the high cost of out of state tuition if the school I was going to offered the best curriculum in the subject I wanted to take. PSU might shine in some academics but psychology isn't one of them.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:06 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I would only be willing to pay the high cost of out of state tuition if the school I was going to offered the best curriculum in the subject I wanted to take. PSU might shine in some academics but psychology isn't one of them.
That sounds about right, PSU is a great option for instate, but too costly when it comes to out of state tuition. I did the whole move to Portland for a year going to PSU part time until I became a resident. Though today you can't even do that, you have to live in Oregon for a year before enrolling.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:30 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Portland State isn't a good school and it certainly isn't worth out of state money to attend.

I'll elaborate:

Its SIX year graduation rate is 39%.

It's not even ranked by US News because it's so low.

It's a commuter school.

Poor alumni involvement and zero student pride.

Poor employment prospects in a city with, well, poor employment prospects.

Do not go $80k into debt to attend this school.

Poor Salary prospects for paying so much out of state. Portland State University (PSU) School Salary, Average Salaries | PayScale

Recommendations:

-Attend community college at home to get your general education classes out of the way first of all.
-If Portland State still beckons, you'll hopefully have transferable credits and the most debt damage done is probably around $40k in debt at graduation.
-Attend the University of Washington in Seattle if your heart is set on the Northwest and you want a good nationally renowned education.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:12 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Portland State Inside PSU | Rankings recognize PSU's rise

Some of PSU's programs are actually very well respected in rankings across the US, so it really depends on the program.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
Portland State Inside PSU | Rankings recognize PSU's rise

Some of PSU's programs are actually very well respected in rankings across the US, so it really depends on the program.
I'm sure there are one or two bright spots.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:16 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I'm sure there are one or two bright spots.
There are more than one or two bright spots, it is actually a good college that is getting better and has a number of great programs. Plus with the current president, the college is moving further away from its commuter days and functioning like a real university.

Though if I were to do out of state tuition, it wouldn't be my school of choice which is why I went around that rule to get in state tuition and save myself some money.

Old 02-26-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
There are more than one or two bright spots, it is actually a good college that is getting better and has a number of great programs. Plus with the current president, the college is moving further away from its commuter days and functioning like a real university.

Though if I were to do out of state tuition, it wouldn't be my school of choice which is why I went around that rule to get in state tuition and save myself some money.
I'm sure you had a wonderful time at PSU, but it's not even worth the in state tuition. I'm sure you can get a great education there, but the reputation just isn't there. Oregon public universities just aren't that good or well known academically. I'm sure "there are some good programs." Which can be said for any school, but at the end of the day, if you want to live in the NW and go public, it's UDub or bust.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:25 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
Udub is about $25,000--out of reach for most. There is a need for urban collages like PSU--not everyone goes to college at age 18 and not everyone can move far away to attend college. No one is suggesting PSU Is Harvard but there are not "one or two bright spots."

In an ideal world everyone would have access to the Ivy League but most don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland