Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:40 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,698,487 times

Advertisements

Aloha Kakou, Howzit?

Welcome, I startted this thread because I was amazed at how many people I have met in Portland, who are from Hawaii. Even here at CDF ive met alot. Sometimes when we have time to talkstory, i find we talk about where we are from, who we know, where we went to highschool, then usually after its places we shared or small kid time memories if we are close to the same age. But every conversation usually ends with "brah or sistah, you know were i can find ________" or wow i miss ________" (Fill in the blanks lol). What i found was most of us miss home or are hawaiian by heart.

So during my research and discovery of finding Hawaii in Portland, I found that each of us has a place or two we go for Hawaii grindz or know of a hula halau or event that features culture from home. But none of us has the whole picture or knows of every place. So this is the purpose of this thread, to help eachother find aloha and keep our aloha culture alive in our hearts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 01:59 AM

Feel free to post where to find good hawaiian food, or good hawaiian music, feel free to post hawaiian cultural events etc. Even feel free to just talkstory with each other as long as its Hawaii relatted. Mahalo Aloha my brudahs and sistahs.

First Post

Did you guys know HAPA (Hawaiian contemporary music) is comming to town to play one night on Mar13 at the Aladdin theater. Heres more info

Aladdin Theater & Events Calendar | Aladdin Theater

Also Jake Shimabukuro(master ukulele wizard from Hawaii) will be playing two shows on Apr 27 at the aladdin theater.

Aladdin Theater & Events Calendar | Aladdin Theater

Both shows are a must see, im not going to miss it.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:23 AM

The Best place I found for great ono grindz was Ohana Cafe on NE Sandy Blvd in Portland. They have a great menu of local Hawaii and Classic Hawaiian Food. You can even get Poi. They even have real shave ice, with tons of flavors and beans. Heres more info.

Ohana Hawaiian Cafe

Of course there are places I haven't tried yet that could be better, there are also new places like these two I haven't tried yet but heard great things about.

Ate-Oh-Ate Hawaiian Restaurant, Portland, Oregon
ate oh ate is a small platelunch place that was recommended by a friend the owner is a local from Hawaii.

And

Hapa Ramen
Hapa Ramen
Which ive also heard great comments about. they serve ramen but also Hawaii style Saimin which sounds great after the snow melts some more.

shootz k-den

Old 02-11-2014, 02:04 PM
YaB

26 posts, read 40,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
The Best place I found for great ono grindz was Ohana Cafe on NE Sandy Blvd in Portland. They have a great menu of local Hawaii and Classic Hawaiian Food. You can even get Poi. They even have real shave ice, with tons of flavors and beans. Heres more info.

Ohana Hawaiian Cafe

Of course there are places I haven't tried yet that could be better, there are also new places like these two I haven't tried yet but heard great things about.

Ate-Oh-Ate Hawaiian Restaurant, Portland, Oregon
ate oh ate is a small platelunch place that was recommended by a friend the owner is a local from Hawaii.

And

Hapa Ramen
Hapa Ramen
Which ive also heard great comments about. they serve ramen but also Hawaii style Saimin which sounds great after the snow melts some more.

shootz k-den
Thanks for the suggested Hawaiian spots to eat at in Portland. My girlfriend and I will be stopping by in Portland next month to check the area out, so what you've suggested will help us out.

It's a little difficult to find local Hawaiian food from where we currently live at in Peoria, AZ but there are some Hawaiian restaurants that are good.

If it helps anybody, I've also searched other Hawaiian restaurants to eat at in Portland (all Yelp websites):

Old 02-11-2014, 02:15 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,328,121 times
Don't know if it's any good but there is this place on Beaverton Hillsdale Hwy.
https://plus.google.com/104121086549...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Also, not too far away from it, also on Beav-Hills. Hwy., is the giant Asian supermarket, Uwajimaya. They carry lots of stuff I have seen in Hawaiian supermarkets.

Uwajimaya | Store - Beaverton

Old 02-11-2014, 04:34 PM

@sayulita,YaB

Mahalo guys for your posts.

There is a great Hula Hālau called ‘Ohana Holo‘oko‘a. They do alot of events in the Portland Area. Where they perform. If you interested in a little culture then here is a few upcoming events.

Tigard Library FREE
Hula Program
Rescheduled To
Saturday, February 15, 2014
3pm
Select Dancers Will Be
Performing And
Giving A Hula Lesson

Concordia University Lu'au
March 15, 2014
5pm
Keiki Classes Will Be Performing

If your interested in becoming a student of a hula halau here is more info.

Hula H?lau: Hawaiian Hula Dance Instruction and Entertainment | Lisa Chang | Portland, Oregon | Hulaaloha.org

Old 02-11-2014, 05:34 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,086,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaB View Post
Thanks for the suggested Hawaiian spots to eat at in Portland. My girlfriend and I will be stopping by in Portland next month to check the area out, so what you've suggested will help us out.

It's a little difficult to find local Hawaiian food from where we currently live at in Peoria, AZ but there are some Hawaiian restaurants that are good.

If it helps anybody, I've also searched other Hawaiian restaurants to eat at in Portland (all Yelp websites):
Noho's was (I think) the first Hawaiian restaurant around, and is still my favorite.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
Noho's was (I think) the first Hawaiian restaurant around, and is still my favorite.
Any other places you eat at brah? What on da menu at Noho's? Is it lunchplate menu or traditional hawaiian, or both? I haven't tried. Mahalo for your post.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:20 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,086,532 times
Plate lunches, saimin, etc.

Here's their menu.

Menu

Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,380,869 times
Couple of other great Hawaiian places to add to your list are in the suburbs.

Roxy's Island Grill - Southwest Portland - Beaverton, OR | Yelp
Hapa Grill - Beaverton, OR | Yelp

I have a number of Hawaiian co-workers who love these places.

Also check out 808 Grinds, they're a food cart so tend to be mobile. They have a static location at the 9th and Alder Food Cart pod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland