Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 04:13 AM

63 posts, read 80,818 times

Advertisements

So, this is the second package stolen off my doorstep in two weeks. I've not had an issue living here on S.E. Yamhill & 40th in the last few years... I was hoping the 1st was an isolated incident, but apparently I have a problem...

Ironically, both times I was home - the 1st incident my letter carrier said she 'knocked on my door' (I have this thing called a doorbell), but I never heard it... I can not sit and watch my porch throughout the day even if I'm home (mail is delivered arbitrarily between noon and 5pm any given day).... In each instance they've swiped it fast, easily within 30mins-1hr of me checking my mailbox. It's almost as if they're out there on the street watching my letter carrier deliver (which is quite plausible, there are a few people living in microbuses etc. on my street ----it's not like I live in THAT terrible of a neighborhood (or maybe I'm wrong), I am the sole payer of $1800/mo to live here... Things have been remarkably peaceful here otherwise, it's only now that petty theft become a living reality...

Anyways, I'm just irritated, many times the places I order from do not offer signature confirmation, and I don't particularly want a P..O. Box (in such instance I may as well just go out and buy some reasonable facsimile at a brick & mortar)... What would you do in such an instance? Buy a surveillance camera and try to catch them with a dummy box?

Discouraged, would happily entertain some thoughts...

No major drama, only out $100 thus far...

Last edited by cosmicjoke; 03-05-2014 at 05:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 06:09 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,188 times
Do you have a Mom & Pop store nearby that you do regular business with? Maybe they would be willing to accept your packages for you.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:58 AM

63 posts, read 80,818 times
Thank you, that's actually a really good idea, one that would never have occurred to me.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:36 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,353,188 times
Hope that works out for you. If not, then leave a note on your door and in your mailbox asking that packages not be left on the porch, but taken back to the Post Office for you to pick up. That's done routinely when a signature is required. Just explain what has happened and I'm sure they will try to help. But make sure there is a permanent note posted on your door in case there is a change in your carrier.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:01 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,433,687 times
I know it's limited in size, but maybe something like this will work?

Old 03-05-2014, 10:50 AM

892 posts, read 1,592,249 times
This has been a recurring issue in our neighborhood since this past fall. Our street is generally one of the safer ones due to the number of retirees and people working from home. We now ship things to my office when we're concerned with theft.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:09 PM

347 posts, read 669,284 times
Just the presence of a surveillance camera is probably enough to ward off the theft...they aren't too expensive if you buy and set them up yourself but if you really don't want to do it you can get a fake one and even a sign saying the doorstep is being recorded. You might talk to your neighbors as well, ask if they are having a similar issue...maybe you can come up with a group solution.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:25 PM

121 posts, read 162,694 times
We live on a busy street and our front door faces the street. Carriers would leave packages right out in the open (despite the fact that we have a bush right next to the door that could hide things well. One time, I was expecting a package and looked up just in time to see some guy walk (while walking his bike) by our window towards the door. He grabbed the package and then proceed to start to ride off over the grass. Without thinking, I started banging on the window and when he saw me, he dropped the package and started riding off. Rather than leave it there, I went out side and was yelling at him while he was riding away. Not the smartest move but at the time I was seeing red at his nerve.

I now have a sign that tells carriers to not leave any packages out in the open and have a designated area for them to hide it. We also have a PO box that we use if that is an option.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:27 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,616,248 times
Harder to say with USPS, but I will say my perception is that their service has been declining lately.

With UPS/Fedex we've experienced on occasion that they deliver to the wrong address entirely. We've reported packages stolen only to wander around the neighborhood and see our package on a porch a block or two away. '1230' apparently became 1320 as they rushed around. And we also had a 'ring for delivery' sign.

With USPS it's harder to make that mistake since ostensibly they're hitting every house on the route, but still possible. Especially if they insist the delivery came when you were home.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:18 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,326,876 times
They are following the carriers and FedEx trucks. Get a camera. Or ........ Send your self a nice looking box with a brick in it. Then sit and watch. Do it a couple of times. Have your video camera ready and dial 911 with the license plate as they don't carry this stuff far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland