Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 01:12 PM

10 posts, read 14,252 times

Advertisements

I will be coming out in May to check out the city, neighborhoods, apartments, etc....My wife and I will not be moving until August, so the chances of being able to sign any type of lease in May is most likely slim to none. However we want to check out as many apartment complexes as possible while we are out there so that we can sign a lease before moving everything out there.

We are most likely looking for an apartment either downtown/pearl/NW or the near eastside, this is coming from just reading articles/forums/etc online. I have never been to the city before and my wife has only been to the city for her interview.

Does anyone have any recommendations for apartment buildings to check out? Also are you allowed to have grills on balconies within the city limits?

Our budget is $1600 a month, we also have cats and would really like a balcony/patio with the apartment.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 01:19 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,331,101 times
You might be able to get a large studio with balcony here in your price range.

Southpark Square

Old 03-14-2014, 01:56 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,257,024 times
There are Apartments with $475 to $600 a month signs everywhere. Many are new or newer. It depends on where you need to be. Have you ever been here? do you have any idea how big the area encompasses?

Old 03-14-2014, 02:09 PM

First of all, the OP said their budget was $1600. Why are you talking about ones that are so much lower? And Craigslist turns up exactly 3 apartments in that low price range - none in downtown, the pearl, NW or near eastside or even remotely close.

portland apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

And I'd sure like to see where you are seeing those signs "everywhere". Especially for new or newer. I'm sure everyone else looking for a cheap place would as well.

Last edited by sayulita; 03-14-2014 at 02:23 PM..

Old 03-14-2014, 02:35 PM

892 posts, read 1,585,788 times
Downtown and the Pearl will likely be the most expensive and least likely to have patios/balconies. I've noticed newer buildings either not having balconies or having those tiny ones that you can only stand, drink coffee and look wistfully into the distance.

Depending on where you end up wanting to live based on vibe, job location, etc., you may be able to rent a small house for that and then have a yard in which to grill.

The city doesn't have ordinances about grilling on balconies but the apartment building may.

Old 03-14-2014, 02:42 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,092,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenkamph View Post
I will be coming out in May to check out the city, neighborhoods, apartments, etc....My wife and I will not be moving until August, so the chances of being able to sign any type of lease in May is most likely slim to none. However we want to check out as many apartment complexes as possible while we are out there so that we can sign a lease before moving everything out there.

We are most likely looking for an apartment either downtown/pearl/NW or the near eastside, this is coming from just reading articles/forums/etc online. I have never been to the city before and my wife has only been to the city for her interview.

Does anyone have any recommendations for apartment buildings to check out? Also are you allowed to have grills on balconies within the city limits?

Our budget is $1600 a month, we also have cats and would really like a balcony/patio with the apartment.

Thanks in advance
You should be able to find any number of places with that budget. The cats might be a sticking point, as might the balcony. In the areas you're asking about, a lot will be high rises, and they don't seem to often have balconies. But many do have communal terraced areas with barbecues, etc.

What kind of an apartment are you looking for ... new, historic, loft? What kind of neighborhood are you most interested in? It sounds like you're looking for urban, but I don't want to assume that.

Even though I live in the Inner SE, I'd suggest sticking to the east side. It sounds more to your tastes. I'd include the South Waterfront, Goose Hollow, even John's Landing also in your search.

Old 03-14-2014, 03:36 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,257,024 times
I have seen balcony's on the waterfront.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:13 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,588,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post

And I'd sure like to see where you are seeing those signs "everywhere". Especially for new or newer. I'm sure everyone else looking for a cheap place would as well.
When he says "everywhere" he means everywhere in Dallas. It's where Steve thinks every transplant should move to.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
When he says "everywhere" he means everywhere in Dallas. It's where Steve thinks every transplant should move to.
Well that explains a lot of his posts.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:58 PM

478 posts, read 877,973 times
You might check these out- The Yards at Union Station

Right on the water, has balconies (I've seen grills on them), and at least some of them allow pets (they were in the news recently when a 22-pound cat cornered his owners and trapped them in a bedroom!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: