Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 09:53 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,841 times

Advertisements

My friends live in Beaverton. Both work downtown. They live off a MAX line so it works for them to not have a car for commuting. They occasionally rent a car on the weekends because it's less of a hassle than arranging to be picked up at a MAX station/bus stop and having to be aware of the time so they don't miss the last train/bus back home.

They've been car free for about two years now and have decided they are now looking at getting another car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 09:53 PM

2 posts, read 1,435 times
So, did you move to Portland?

I'm finding this thread nearly 2 years after originally posted because I too am from Michigan and on my way to becoming a licensed massage therapist, and I plan to relocate to Portland.

If you did make the move, how do you like it? Pros? Cons? And if you didn't why didn't it work out?
Just curious after spending 30+ minutes reading all the replies.

Last edited by amberRL; 12-11-2015 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-11-2015, 11:54 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,300,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberRL View Post

I'm finding this thread nearly 2 years after originally posted because I too am from Michigan and on my way to becoming a licensed massage therapist, and I plan to relocate to Portland.

If you did make the move, how do you like it? Pros? Cons? And if you didn't why didn't it work out?
No posts from the OP for almost a year but you may find useful info reading other posts she made before departing.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=21294166

Old 12-12-2015, 12:47 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
We have lots of licenced massage therapists who can't build a practice. Learn a skill we need.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
We have lots of licenced massage therapists who can't build a practice. Learn a skill we need.
Judging from your attitude it sounds like you do need a massage. Take some time for yourself. You'll feel better and less rude.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Judging from your attitude it sounds like you do need a massage. Take some time for yourself. You'll feel better and less rude.
Nell was direct, no question, but she was right I'm afraid. I was actually trying to come up with a way of saying exactly what she said in a way that you wouldn't consider "rude". Never mind. You need a really big city with lots of stressed, rude, but relatively wealthy citizens to make your career choice viable. Somewhere on the East Coast probably. Even then LMT is beyond saturated. If you really have your heart set on PDX and LMT is all you bring with you then you may want to look at the various Chiropractic and Alternative Medicine practicioners here

Old 12-14-2015, 11:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:

Portland has gotten really expensive lately, and the market for massage therapists is pretty competitive. I wouldn't advise it.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:58 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
When Oregonians feel stressed, they go for a hike in the woods. They don't pay for a massage.

Rude or not, it is no kindness to encourage a person to move to Oregon with a job skill that has no demand. Oregon is an expensive place and it is a very tough place to be unemployed.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:34 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,567,401 times
I tend to be very direct when warning of a potential disaster.

New residents are welcome but they need to bring with them the skills to nail a well paying job. Most of those who post on the Portland forum who are disappointed didn't find remunerative employment.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:33 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I have to agree with Nell. She was trying to be helpful. I actually knew three experienced Portland LMT's who lost their thriving practices due to a down economy over the past few years. This is considered a luxury that is the first to go when times are hard. They were not able to obtain jobs with clinics or hospitals because those who had them were hanging on for dear life hoping not to be let go.

In the meantime, local schools kept churning them out in large numbers. If there were jobs to be had, those graduating from those schools had first choice. Still competition is very fierce.

This is just a reality. If anyone in this profession is contemplating relocating to Portland, it is better to know what the climate is in their area of expertise than to be surprised after the move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland