Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 02:59 PM

428 posts, read 810,453 times

Advertisements

Hi, a friend and I will soon be traveling to Eugene to scout it as a place to live but also perhaps interested in Portland so we want to take the train up from Eugene to Portland. Are there any recommendations of some things we could do once we hop off the train and are in Portland, even if it requires a short taxi trip, things that might give us at least an introductory feel for Portland? Even if we move to Eugene, I consider that a temporary base to then lease a home 6-12 months and still consider Portland for a permanent move. But for now, we want to plan a day trip via train up from Eugene to Portland. Any help appreciated greatly. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 03:12 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
How long are you expecting to have in Portland before catching the next train to Eugene?

Old 04-03-2014, 03:19 PM

428 posts, read 810,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How long are you expecting to have in Portland before catching the next train to Eugene?
Day trip. Not sure of the train schedule, but we would catch the earliest train leaving Eugene. Never been to Portland so we just want to get some sort of feel for the city. Wondering if the area around the train station will help get some sort of feel for Portland. We could spend a bit on taxis to get around quickly to some nearby sites, etc.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
Day trip. Not sure of the train schedule, but we would catch the earliest train leaving Eugene. Never been to Portland so we just want to get some sort of feel for the city. Wondering if the area around the train station will help get some sort of feel for Portland. We could spend a bit on taxis to get around quickly to some nearby sites, etc.
Everything is pretty walkable in Portland with the small blocks. To the west of the train station is the Pearl, which is a urban neighborhood with lots of shops and such, especially the closer you get to Burnside. On Burnside and 10th is Powells Books, you could spend an entire day there, which is a very Portland thing. Grab a drink at the Bailey's Taproom, then walk south on Broadway to Pioneer Courthouse Square. Then from there feel free to wander wherever you want, if you get too far it is easy to catch a cab back to the train station.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:38 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,625,098 times
You'll only be a couple of blocks from the MAX stop. You can take the Yellow or Green Line MAX to Pioneer Courthouse Square, which is pretty centrally located in downtown. Then you can fan out from there.

TriMet Interactive Map

Actually, I think riding the MAX is a pretty nice way to see parts of the city if you're on a limited time schedule. If there's a chance that you'll be around longer than 2 hours, just buy an all-day pass (5 bucks).

Old 04-03-2014, 07:55 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,575 times
Keep in mind that the train station is in one of the "worst" areas in Portland. So don't base your opinion of Portland on that small area.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:47 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,145,093 times
Well, trains leave Eugene at 5:30, 12:30, 4:00 and takes 2 and half hours. There are a couple of buses in between each train that Amtrak runs. Returning trains leave from Portland at 8:30 am, 2:25, 6:05. Again, a couple buses in between, and two after the last train departure. If you caught the early morning train, you could have a full day (8-6) in Portland.

I second getting a day pass for MAX, and between it and the Trolleys, I'd just ride around town. Rub shoulders with the locals, and get a feel for the layout of the city. Walk around downtown. Eat at some food carts, drink at some breweries or coffee shops, shop at Powell's.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:30 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
And there are a lot of unemployed young locals to rub shoulders with, but watch your wallet.

I love train travel. I have been all over the country by train.

Old 04-04-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
And there are a lot of unemployed young locals to rub shoulders with, but watch your wallet.

I love train travel. I have been all over the country by train.
That is just good advice anywhere you go, especially when one is being a tourist...though in Portland, I wouldn't worry about the young locals, it would be the older ones that I would watch your wallet with. I did once see an old druggy woman steal another woman's purse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland