Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 02:04 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,882,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
I lived in North Portland for the major portion of my life. I doubt I will live long enough to have lived elsewhere for longer. Portland has the not so in your face type of racism these days. Yes, you could be excluded from some opportunities "but, not because you are black"...... The gentrification of inner north northeast Portland horrified me. The Mississippi strip makes me shake my head. Yes, it looks nicer..in a very sterile way.

Pushing the community out by buying up properties and raising rents is just good business right? De-stabilizing the heart of the community isn't racist is it? Is it?

The black population in Portland is pretty low at 6.3% and 1.8% statewide. I would toss the idea out there for consideration that the black community does not have a similar slice of the cities wealth as a percentage of the population. Portland (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau( the numbers are from 2010). I doubt the numbers would have increased since then.

Contrast with my present situation in the melting pot that is the Houston area. There is obvious racism. I have also found there are a lot of people who get along and respect each other too. I don't feel any tension in my work place. Its all about respect and dignity.

You can find friendlier cities with a thriving black community..

Well unless you are loaded with cash... Welcome to Portland!
Great post! Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Or female. I've had to part ways with a number of black women who simply would not, or could not understand that they are not perceived as a physical or economic threat in the same way as the majority of black men are. I'm happy that they do not, for the most part, experience the same level of overt racism as that experienced by most, if not all, dark skinned black men, but I do wish they could empathize more. It does affect them as well, albeit indirectly.
Sorry to hear this. I think a good majority in Portland, in general, are threatened by men of color, especially if they are their peers. I think the white privilege here is demonstrated my many including white wonen who see themselves as quite liberal. I think that is why the few friend I have made here are also transplants who grew up with POC. The racism here is complex.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Aren't people people? Why does it matter if Portland is mainly white? And if you don't like being around "white people" well you can go nearly anywhere else and you won't have the problem. And btw Portland is like liberal as can be. I HIGHLY doubt your experiencing this racism. I think you are just so insecure about sticking out you take these small things as being racist like most people do.
Your post proves what many of us are saying. Seeing peoples' differences is good but what you do after that is more important. I like living in a diverse world and I don't want to blend. I always see your color, or lack of it, when meet you and then treat you like an individual.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Global Citizen View Post
I hope this isn't intended toward me. However, if it is, I will address you accordingly. I never said that I didn't like being around "white people". America is 62% white. How could you know what someone black in this country experiences if you aren't black? I don't know what you experience daily because I'm not you! Listen: I've lived in 6 states, my wife 7. I've worked in Europe and visited 17 countries. My wife has worked overseas and visited 33 different countries. I've lived and visited the largest cities in the world. We are what most would consider, well-traveled. I'm from a very urban part of society ... some would call it THE HOOD! Single-parent household, teenage mother, never met dad, no indoor plumbing from the age of 12-23, you know ... the statistic. Heroically, both my wife and I are doctors. FYI, you're talking to someone semi-educated. So I want you to listen very carefully. If I tell you about my personal experience here in Portland, you can take it to the bank and cash it that day. I don't embellish; there is no need to make up rumors about my experience. Life is already hard enough as it is. Understand this Seattle4321, I have seen more things in life (good and bad) than 99.9% of the people in this country. Portland is not liberal when it comes to race relations. I live in Laurelhurst. Nobody looks like me inside of these gates. People think that I'm lost. And that's the experience. I told you that it's not overt. However, Oregon was built as a white utopia. Do us all a favor, go read about racism in Oregon (and Washington). You will learn about its state constitution, redlining, and the City of Vanport. Then, private message me an apology for your useless (and semi-racist) response and all will be well in the City-Data world. Also, for future reference there is no need to be so curt in your response. All of us that participate in this forum to share information and learn from our respective experiences would appreciate that you attempt to show more empathy and respect. Thank you very much.
Ahhh... Very amazing post!

Old 06-20-2016, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSF View Post
I'd like to agree with you and for myself look upon people as just human beings and not a particular race. Quite frankly, I have equal contempt for all the races so no discrimination here. However, you're crazy if you think the whole world thinks like that, including America as well as Portland.

While the city professes itself to be liberal and may even have garnered that reputation on its façade, it by no means is that way in the people's actions, as well as their "hearts and minds". That's not to say that there is much, if any, hate crimes or things that obvious. However, based on my observations, there is a certain discomfort with African Americans, and I'd venture to say that when it comes to hiring them for jobs, or wanting to associate with them on a social, there is no where near the same tolerance as most other major metros.
Thank you for posting this and areas within Portland are just getting richer, whiter and more elitist.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:17 AM

2,054 posts, read 3,319,738 times
Ha! No, of course not. The dominant culture is NW white yuppies and oh so cool hipsters, mixed w/ the back to green types (all white of course). When I first moved to Portland, I was standing on a MAX platform and asked someone standing there (yuppie type, attache case, etc) about a particular part of the city, and he frowned and said "Well, that's where the ethnics live". The ethnics! Sorta gives you the mind set right there. I should have left the city at that point. Later I did, and that was a big reason, along w/ that rain thing, unfriendly people.... well, it's all documented on the forums. No need to repeat it here.

There is an undercurrent of racism, elitism, superiority (false) and unfriendliness to Portland that, unless you're lily white, is hard to see because it's so well disguised. I found it to be more more repellant than the in-your-face stuff in the darkest parts of the old South in the bad old days. At least you knew where you stood w/ those people. And it's all so stupid. Hey, you live in a parochial, gloomy, rainy old town in Oregon! Get over it. New York you ain't, or even Madison, Wi.

Global Citizen is telling it like it is, but very few people in Portland will honor that truth, or even believe it. That's how out of touch w/ reality they are. Total 24/7 denial.

Last edited by smarino; 07-22-2016 at 07:31 AM..

Old 07-22-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Ha! No, of course not. The dominant culture is NW white yuppies and oh so cool hipsters, mixed w/ the back to green types (all white of course). When I first moved to Portland, I was standing on a MAX platform and asked someone standing there (yuppie type, attache case, etc) about a particular part of the city, and he frowned and said "Well, that's where the ethnics live". The ethnics! Sorta gives you the mind set right there. I should have left the city at that point. Later I did, and that was a big reason, along w/ that rain thing, unfriendly people.... well, it's all documented on the forums. No need to repeat it here.

There is an undercurrent of racism, elitism, superiority (false) and unfriendliness to Portland that, unless you're lily white, is hard to see because it's so well disguised. I found it to be more more repellant than the in-your-face stuff in the darkest parts of the old South in the bad old days. At least you knew where you stood w/ those people. And it's all so stupid. Hey, you live in a parochial, gloomy, rainy old town in Oregon! Get over it. New York you ain't, or even Madison, Wi.

Global Citizen is telling it like it is, but very few people in Portland will honor that truth, or even believe it. That's how out of touch w/ reality they are. Total 24/7 denial.
Everything you said here is a big reason our family moved out to the burbs. I have too many subtle and not-so -subtle stories of racism directed at me and my family while living in hipster liberal Portland. The true diversity is not in Portland and many Portland citizens seem very comfortable with their privilege. I got tired of even having a real conversation about racism with Portlanders. There is a minority of parents trying to achieve equity in PPS, though, and they are awesome but not they are not the norm.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:23 AM

24 posts, read 43,561 times
I grew up between Fremont & Alberta in NE portland, went to sabin in the early 2000s and ended up moving back and forth between Portland, OR & Sacramento, CA throughout my life... I've seen the alberta gentrification with my own eyes, Hardly anyone I grew up with lives in North East Portland anymore. White people tried to buy my grandparents out of their home with a literal briefcase full of cash, but my grandparents held fast due to owning that house since the 70s and now they are the only african american family on their entire block. the (now) white neighbors have gotten really less friendly in the last few years to them and there were already a few conflicts between my black family and them... I'ts a real cluster**** of a mess. Grant High School was white... very white... compared to Jeff and hell, even Benson. Wish I would have went to Jeff...

also, you might notice that I have a really light skin tone, thats because im only half black. My mother is a Latina.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ss4gogeta0 View Post
I grew up between Fremont & Alberta in NE portland, went to sabin in the early 2000s and ended up moving back and forth between Portland, OR & Sacramento, CA throughout my life... I've seen the alberta gentrification with my own eyes, Hardly anyone I grew up with lives in North East Portland anymore. White people tried to buy my grandparents out of their home with a literal briefcase full of cash, but my grandparents held fast due to owning that house since the 70s and now they are the only african american family on their entire block. the (now) white neighbors have gotten really less friendly in the last few years to them and there were already a few conflicts between my black family and them... I'ts a real cluster**** of a mess. Grant High School was white... very white... compared to Jeff and hell, even Benson. Wish I would have went to Jeff...

also, you might notice that I have a really light skin tone, thats because im only half black. My mother is a Latina.
I try not to support businesses there since the gentrification pushed out the AA community in Oregon and that neighborhood is not friendly especially to people of color who aren't hipsters. I have a few good friends who grew up there and it saddens me that they are now treated like they don't belong.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:36 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,329,128 times
I'm going to venture to point out that there is a definite snobbery that goes on in Portland these days among those who now feel they "own" it. I lived in the neighborhood along Hawthorne, The Buckman Neighborhood, which was the first to become gentrified. We had a mix of everything before gentrification. Neighbors were friendly. They had community block parties, yard sales and barbecues. People said "Hello" if you passed them on the street even if they didn't know you.

Fast forward to today. I am only going to speak for the elderly because I am old. The last five or so years I lived in that neighborhood I felt a distinct disdain coming from the young Yuppies and Hipsters who have all but taken over the neighborhood. No "Hellos" just eyes diverted when they passed me by even if I tried to say "Hello." My apartment building went from a mix of ages to all twenty and thirty somethings. Some cordial and friendly to one another but not to the few older people remaining in the building. No more community events anywhere in the 'hood to which everyone was invited.

The reason I bring this up is because the one elderly hold-out still living in my former apartment building who is a lively, friendly 80 year old just emailed me saying pretty much what I have said here. She said she misses the community the apartment complex and the neighborhood once had. She says she feels a stranger in the place where she has lived for so long a time.

The new guard has taken over. They want to deal only with those like themselves. It's a big change from the way things used to be but changes happen. It's one of the things that makes me not miss the neighborhood I once loved so much and Portland in general. Let the new people live as they wish, I don't have to deal with it any longer, but those who want to relocate should know that Portland does have a certain class system and that not everyone fits in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland