Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 11:52 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times

Advertisements

Maybe you have more confidence in the OSP than I do. My theory is that you make friends with them, build relationships. No problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 12:02 PM

646 posts, read 926,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Maybe you have more confidence in the OSP than I do. My theory is that you make friends with them, build relationships. No problems.
they gon look at u crazy if u do what u suggest and actually might bother u more after it

Old 04-25-2014, 01:50 PM

70 posts, read 76,353 times
Hmmm...on the one hand I understand Nell's point, sort of deflecting potential negativity before it starts. "Hey look I'm here...nothing to worry about". On the other hand, it seems totally unnecessary, sort of like expecting there to be a problem if I don't. As a female, there might be some advantages to doing this, possibly.

I will see how I will go about this situation, but unless you've never been "the only _____" in a sea of faces where none are even close to yours, depending on the context, it can be...odd to say the least. Most often I'm not conscious of such things (which, in the grand scheme of life are insignificant), but I always notice others who are "The only______", so it might be the same for me as well.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:23 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Ahh, I didn't realize that you are a female. Completely a different situation.

Over the years I have worked with several Black males who had the 'driving while Black' experience (I have lived in NY Metro, Seattle Metro as well as Portland). I suspect one of the reasons why The Dalles residents made a special effort to include the Black family was to serve notice to anyone who might hassle them. Usually that behavior is the result of fear, the person is unusual and they don't know what to expect. Cops don't fear women of any color but, writing as a woman, they will still issue a speeding ticket.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:10 PM

lol@my rep
whoeva did it, reread my post, i didnt say us and i aint black

Old 04-27-2014, 12:11 AM

2,430 posts, read 6,628,121 times
I think people have trouble reading your posts because of your use of language (or lack of). It's irritating.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I think people have trouble reading your posts because of your use of language (or lack of). It's irritating.
lifes a b

Old 07-16-2014, 09:11 PM

70 posts, read 76,353 times
Hello All,

I've been in Eastern Oregon for a few weeks now and reports are decent! No troubles, lots of cordial people and I'll knock on wood, but I'd say my major concerns (while not entirely unfounded) have been alleviated.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:29 PM

126 posts, read 153,607 times
That's good to hear. I don't have any experience in Eastern Oregon (and I'm white) but I've been to smaller towns around Oregon and my sense is racism exists as it does all over the more rural parts of the US but Oregon is a fairly mild place overall. People tend to stay out of each other's hair and unless you run into a real white supremacist my advice would just be to act polite and most people will be the same. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:24 PM

5,456 posts, read 8,169,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberDuper View Post
Hello All,

I've been in Eastern Oregon for a few weeks now and reports are decent! No troubles, lots of cordial people and I'll knock on wood, but I'd say my major concerns (while not entirely unfounded) have been alleviated.
All of the Oregon SPLC hate groups (it doesn't take much to be declared a hate group by SPLC) are west of the Cascades: http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/hate-map#s=OR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland