Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 02:05 AM

11 posts, read 9,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
This sounds like a typical excuse you would hear from the media or from a politician. Acting hateful and intolerant goes hand in hand with... fill in the blank
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyBeezy View Post
I think you may be right in that alot of times in Oregon people bring up race when it's not necessary or appropriate. At least, for the most part, they are coming from a decent place. By that, I mean, most people in Portland are very liberal, are not racist and believe in social justice, but just don't know how to interact with black people due to lack of experience.
In the end, I feel that Portland and Portlanders in general, although known for being quite liberal, do not follow the reputation they present to the world. I felt and still feel out of place living in this city, and I strongly base that on me being "different." Portland prides itself on being a little strange, different. But I'm the wrong kind of different in this small but big town. Being black and acting unlike any black they've ever met gives most if not all people I meet and interact with here the impulse to judge me. Some are aware of it, some restrain themselves but can't help making a comment anyway, even if it were indirect, it's still bothersome to someone who can't help but have a particular accent.

I don't feel it's fair treatment to me and anyone else who might experience it who considers Portland a place to live in the future. Portland isn't racist, it has a liberal front, it's only when you're inside that you notice how people truly live and treat others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2015, 08:20 AM

284 posts, read 340,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louieville View Post
In the end, I feel that Portland and Portlanders in general, although known for being quite liberal, do not follow the reputation they present to the world. I felt and still feel out of place living in this city, and I strongly base that on me being "different." Portland prides itself on being a little strange, different. But I'm the wrong kind of different in this small but big town. Being black and acting unlike any black they've ever met gives most if not all people I meet and interact with here the impulse to judge me. Some are aware of it, some restrain themselves but can't help making a comment anyway, even if it were indirect, it's still bothersome to someone who can't help but have a particular accent.

I don't feel it's fair treatment to me and anyone else who might experience it who considers Portland a place to live in the future. Portland isn't racist, it has a liberal front, it's only when you're inside that you notice how people truly live and treat others.
Let me ask you this, Louievile... why do you care so much? Why are you so dependent on validation from others?

I understand where you are coming from but I do think at a certain point in one's life, you make your own reality and do not let others dictate who you are and what you are able to accomplish. I've lived in some of the most difficult places for "black people" and I have still been able to adapt very well. Even places where I did not know the language and the mainstream religion was stringent and highly pervasive.

I still do not understand why you don't just leave if you find the whole experience so unpleasant.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallia1 View Post
Let me ask you this, Louievile... why do you care so much? Why are you so dependent on validation from others?

I understand where you are coming from but I do think at a certain point in one's life, you make your own reality and do not let others dictate who you are and what you are able to accomplish. I've lived in some of the most difficult places for "black people" and I have still been able to adapt very well. Even places where I did not know the language and the mainstream religion was stringent and highly pervasive.

I still do not understand why you don't just leave if you find the whole experience so unpleasant.

I didn't say I was dependent on validation Nallia1.

I've been living without much acceptance from people in Portland for three years now. I'm sour about it, not dependent. I'd like to be treated normally, that would be nice. But the fact is you don't in this city if you look and say things like I do.

I am leaving, momentarily. It's why I posted in the first place, to let others know what drove me away and to warn them. Some people might expect the region they live in, and the people in it, to accept them. You shouldn't have to adapt and struggle to fit in. The place you choose to live should allow you to make decent connections that respect you as a person, accept you.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:13 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,612,650 times
Quote:
The only thing I can think of is that I have an accent? It's English. And people comment on that or bring it up. I get the feeling that they don't understand how I can have that accent...
Right away I'll tell you that I could never have the same experience as you, since I'm about as white as they come. But I just wanted to share a couple of things.

First, a story from my own family. About 20 years ago my brother (also very white and from my backwoods coastal NorCal hometown) was watching a show with comedian Robert Townsend, and was amazed--truly amazed--that a black man could do an English accent. He had no concept that English blacks walk around with English accents, or that an accomplished black actor such as Robert Townsend would be able to mimic an English accent. So I chalk that up to not being very aware of the world. No malice, just ignorance.

The other point I wanted to make has to do with my experience. Many people I've met in Oregon from Eugene to Portland are quite guarded and kind of judgmental. Now, for you language nit-pickers out there, I am not at all saying "most" people and certainly not "all" people, but a higher proportion than in other places I've lived. And I am not alone in my experience--I used to talk with my UO roommate about this (he was from Louisiana), how difficult it was to get to know people because they seemed to be looking for a reason to dump you. Like if you didn't meet up to some set of standards you weren't worth their time. And from my experience it really seems to be a phenomenon here. Sort of like the Seattle Freeze that I've heard about.

I've lived in OR for almost 25 years now and have met a lot of really great people who I'm glad to call friends (including my wife). But again, I think everyone's experience is different, and Louieville, you know what's best for you. You are under no obligation to answer ignorant questions from Portlanders, and if you're tired of being treated like an exotic being, maybe it's time to give another city a chance.

Old 12-28-2015, 02:16 PM

846 posts, read 607,003 times
Quote:

I scorn the idea that any political leaning somehow conveys a moral dignity and it is bestowed upon anyone that is aligned with their ideology. I reject this religion and it has no place on the forum. Yet, postings are allowed to exist as if it spoken as truth. It is more of a mockery of the Truth.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpop View Post
Right away I'll tell you that I could never have the same experience as you, since I'm about as white as they come. But I just wanted to share a couple of things.

First, a story from my own family. About 20 years ago my brother (also very white and from my backwoods coastal NorCal hometown) was watching a show with comedian Robert Townsend, and was amazed--truly amazed--that a black man could do an English accent. He had no concept that English blacks walk around with English accents, or that an accomplished black actor such as Robert Townsend would be able to mimic an English accent. So I chalk that up to not being very aware of the world. No malice, just ignorance.

The other point I wanted to make has to do with my experience. Many people I've met in Oregon from Eugene to Portland are quite guarded and kind of judgmental. Now, for you language nit-pickers out there, I am not at all saying "most" people and certainly not "all" people, but a higher proportion than in other places I've lived. And I am not alone in my experience--I used to talk with my UO roommate about this (he was from Louisiana), how difficult it was to get to know people because they seemed to be looking for a reason to dump you. Like if you didn't meet up to some set of standards you weren't worth their time. And from my experience it really seems to be a phenomenon here. Sort of like the Seattle Freeze that I've heard about.

I've lived in OR for almost 25 years now and have met a lot of really great people who I'm glad to call friends (including my wife). But again, I think everyone's experience is different, and Louieville, you know what's best for you. You are under no obligation to answer ignorant questions from Portlanders, and if you're tired of being treated like an exotic being, maybe it's time to give another city a chance.
Thank you for sharing.

Well, that confirms my feeling. Just like your brother, people truly weren't aware I existed. Meeting me might be considered far more shocking than discovering it in the comfort of their living room watching a comedy show, which would explain the bug eyed expressions that discomfort me.

I've heard that before, that Portlanders are cautious toward strangers (outsiders) generally, from a friend living in Portland also, when I shared how difficult it was living here, and the specific reasons. She pointed out that she faced her own difficulties when she moved from Cali. She agreed that my alienating experience here was a heightened version of her own experience (my friend is Caucasian). It's not just me, I just have it worse off because of the color and my background.

It's great that you've found a place here and established bonds with important people in your life in this area. When I first moved to Portland it was quite the adventure for me, it's the first city I've lived in in the States. The response was shocking for me, admittedly, and I feel somehow that I've lost a battle with this town by leaving now. That it's alright to treat people, like me, in such a way that it drives them away. I haven't given up on the States, but I've given up on Portland certainly. Maybe in the future as the city grows it will face newcomers similar to me and things might change... but for now, I regret being one of the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
I scorn the idea that any political leaning somehow conveys a moral dignity and it is bestowed upon anyone that is aligned with their ideology. I reject this religion and it has no place on the forum. Yet, postings are allowed to exist as if it spoken as truth. It is more of a mockery of the Truth.
I'm sorry if I offended you somehow by taking a particular political stance?

I just related what I've been told by acquaintances and family here. There are cities that are supposedly "friendlier" than others to outsiders (referring to me) and there are those less friendly. They mentioned the colors red and blue, and defined Portland as blue. The large number of warnings concerning me traveling through 'red states' alone, have also influenced me to a certain degree.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:13 PM

846 posts, read 607,003 times
Quote:
Thank you for sharing.

Well, that confirms my feeling. Just like your brother, people truly weren't aware I existed. Meeting me might be considered far more shocking than discovering it in the comfort of their living room watching a comedy show, which would explain the bug eyed expressions that discomfort me.

I've heard that before, that Portlanders are cautious toward strangers (outsiders) generally, from a friend living in Portland also, when I shared how difficult it was living here, and the specific reasons. She pointed out that she faced her own difficulties when she moved from Cali. She agreed that my alienating experience here was a heightened version of her own experience (my friend is Caucasian). It's not just me, I just have it worse off because of the color and my background.

It's great that you've found a place here and established bonds with important people in your life in this area. When I first moved to Portland it was quite the adventure for me, it's the first city I've lived in in the States. The response was shocking for me, admittedly, and I feel somehow that I've lost a battle with this town by leaving now. That it's alright to treat people, like me, in such a way that it drives them away. I haven't given up on the States, but I've given up on Portland certainly. Maybe in the future as the city grows it will face newcomers similar to me and things might change... but for now, I regret being one of the first.

I'm sorry if I offended you somehow by taking a particular political stance?

I just related what I've been told by acquaintances and family here. There are cities that are supposedly "friendlier" than others to outsiders (referring to me) and there are those less friendly. They mentioned the colors red and blue, and defined Portland as blue. The large number of warnings concerning me traveling through 'red states' alone, have also influenced me to a certain degree.

No, you misunderstood my reply. It is not directed at you but an ideal that permeates this forum... and others.

As far as some issues here, I believe it is more systematic at a national level rather than localized to a certain city.

Good luck on your endeavors on the upcoming New Year.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:16 PM

269 posts, read 177,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This is just a guess, but I would say the population of Black Americans in Portland has gone up even though the percentage hasn't really changed because the population of Portland itself has also increased.

Finding a part of the city that is dominate African American doesn't really exist anymore, the city has moved past it's once segregated days.
It's called gentrification actually

Old 12-29-2015, 01:33 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkinhead View Post
It's called gentrification actually
Yes, North and Northeast Portland have seen plenty of gentrification as redlining has been made illegal, though with this, it has also made it easier for Black Americans to live where ever they like within the Portland metro that is within their budget.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:09 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,899,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
it has also made it easier for Black Americans to live where ever they like within the Portland metro that is within their budget.
I'm not so sure about this. My experience, and also the experience of others, is the exact opposite. Me and mine have lost a small fortune in non-refundable rental applications, for which we were given all kinds of ridiculous excuses. We finally learned to avoid like the plague private landlords and only deal with large management complexes that are held to a higher standard. Even that isn't fool-proof. We continued to hemorrhage application fees. When we finally did find a real estate company that accepted us, they said that our background checks and credit checks, etc. came back as superior, and they could not understand why anyone would reject us. Even so, we have always had to live in the run down, rednecky parts of Washington County where there is not a lot of love for black people. Now we live in Multnomah County and are paying 3% above market rate in a solid, but very run down, older unit. The signs of gentrification are all around us and I find it hugely ironic that even with all the color that exists in a gentrified neighborhood that it remains especially difficult for people of color to rent in these areas. Buy, probably. But rent? Not likely. Only when the stars align.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland