Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 03:40 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The Pearl isn't really convenient to the MAX Red line.

If you have your heart set on living in the Pearl go for it. I strongly recommend you stay west of NW 3rd.

You might also look in the NW District off 23rd. Similar vibe.
Agree, Pearl or NW have the most condensed action. For parking on that salary I assume there'd be a way to bankroll the occasional overnight in a locked garage. I'd probably leave the muscle car at home. Other than the 4:30-6:30 rush, getting out to Pdx really isn't a big deal from downtown even if you prefer to drive rather than MAX it. The worst congestion is I-5 and 26/217 to the west, and you wouldn't be going through either of those en route to PDX..

I'd also look at Hawthorne. While a bit more spread out than Pearl/NW, there's still quite a bit happening there in terms of restaurants/bars/cafes. You could live very proximate in an area that at least is more likely to have available free parking when you want it, and it's a short hop into downtown/Pearl/NW anytime you wanted even more dining/bar/hipster power than what Hawthorne has.

Some of the other east-side hubs like Hollywood or Alberta probably aren't going to be action-y enough for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 03:49 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
The Pearl isn't necessarily convenient to a direct line to the Airport, but a simple change of train/streetcar would still make it easily accessible. If it were a matter of working at the airport, living nearby might be a consideration. But as it's just occasional trips, go for downtown. My runner-up choice would be the South Waterfront. But, it's quieter, though it's an up and coming area.

From the sounds of it, I'd say the OP would be happiest in a newer condo in the Pearl or downtown. Check PadMapper and enter your requirements and you'll find lots of listings.

I'd guess the parking is going to be the biggest problem. Definitely leave (at least) one behind if you can. However, you may be able to find a nearby garage where you can find monthly parking that would suffice.

Old 04-24-2014, 04:03 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,499,842 times
Let's see if we can apply some critical thinking when replying to this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston1511 View Post
My budget is $3500 and under.
Wow! $3.5K! This is probably the first $3.5 grand budget here. For three and a half grand one can rent a large, luxury house anywhere in Portland, but apparently not the case here.

Quote:
I am moving to do some tech stuff in portland
'tech stuff'? Any more details what is it? Designing hardware for Intel? Writing software for Nike? Changing light bulbs at Wells Fargo Tower? ...?

Quote:
My problem is I've come up empty looking for apartments in portland. After searching it seems like the downtown/pearl district is where I want to be but I can't seem to find any suitable apartments.
$3.5K and no luck! Have you tried one of them internets? How'bout craigslist. Let me do it for you: ~190 results:
portland apts/housing for rent classifieds "pearl" - craigslist

Quote:
I'm making about $150k minus bonus
You mean they deduct the bonus from your salary? Usually it's the other way around.
Or perhaps you meant $15k + bonus? Or maybe $1.5 mil with no bonus? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Ah, Portland is capitalized ALWAYS.
When not sure whether it's $1.5K or $1.5mil, why worry about your p's and q's

Quote:
Yeah some thing like playing candy crush. Lol
Now we are getting somewhere. Like Portland sun, the truth is out there, wait long enough and it will come out eventually.

Last edited by skiffrace; 04-24-2014 at 05:06 PM..

Old 04-24-2014, 04:50 PM

21 posts, read 23,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
Let's see if we can apply some critical thinking when replying to this post.

Wow! $3.5K! This is probably the first $3.5 grand budget here. For three and a half grand one can rent a large, luxury house anywhere in Portland, but apparently not the case here.

$3.5K and no luck! Have you tried one of them internets? How'bout craigslist. Let me do it for you: ~190 results:
portland apts/housing for rent classifieds "pearl" - craigslist

You mean they deduct the bonus from your salary? Usually it's the other way around.
Or perhaps you meant $15k + bonus? Or maybe $1.5 mil with no bonus? Inquiring minds would like to know.

When not sure whether it's $1.5K or $1.5mil, why worry about your p's and q's

Now we are getting somewhere. Like Portland sun, the truth is out there somewhere, wait long enough and it will come out.
I figured I'd get some sort of response like this...way to sit at home and come up with such a cheeky response. Obviously I meant I make around that amount not including a bonus. My budget is a little higher but I am also used to paying a lot more for rent than the rent in portland. Thanks for including the craigslist link because I neeeeever looked there. As stated before I wasn't able to find some thing that checked all my boxes so I figured I would post a thread, as others have done, seeking help from locals.

Thank you for you're witty post, I'm sure you sat in front of your computer with joy as you typed your gem of a response.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:45 PM

2,430 posts, read 6,630,046 times
I would go to the Pearl buildings directly rather than looking on Craigslist. The ASA seems to be pretty happening and when I walk by I see them doing beer and food nights in the lobby. It attracts the 20/30 something crowd more than the rest of the buildings from what I've seen.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I would go to the Pearl buildings directly rather than looking on Craigslist. The ASA seems to be pretty happening and when I walk by I see them doing beer and food nights in the lobby. It attracts the 20/30 something crowd more than the rest of the buildings from what I've seen.
Appreciate that, I actually saw the Asa on pad mapper and I'm headed to portland this week to view a few places. Looks like my search might be over.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:48 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
The Eliot in downtown might be a good choice, but I agree, you will be better off looking on the websites of buildings directly to find what you are looking for.

Also, 2-3 car garage or parking is probably a dream that will never happen unless you want to live in the suburbs.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:12 AM

Are under ground parking garages rare In portland? Tons of "covered parking" but surprised newer portland residences don't have underground parking. Yeah I realized parking is my big challenge.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:27 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,619,531 times
I haven't looked extensively, but there's not a lot underground I can think of. Couple of above ground structures.

If you're looking at the Pearl there's this one at least: Pearl Garage - Pearl District - Portland, OR | Yelp

Old 04-25-2014, 10:31 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Are under ground parking garages rare In portland? Tons of "covered parking" but surprised newer portland residences don't have underground parking. Yeah I realized parking is my big challenge.
A number of the newer buildings have underground parking garages, but they are often times very limited on parking spaces because zoning laws in Portland doesn't require buildings to have a parking spot for every unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: