Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 03:45 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bler144 View Post
If evergreens are a trigger, you'll be more unhappy here.
Same with birch. I'm highly allergic to that and pretty much every tree in my neighborhood is from the birch family. I have to both take Benadryl and use the cream when I finish trimming the hedge that came with my house-when I tell people I'm "allergic to yard work," I'm not just saying that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 10:09 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
'Seems I've read that the Willamette Valley is the WORST for grass-seed allergies, which makes sense. For myself I never had allergies at all until I moved here but mine are mild compared to a lot of people I know.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:23 PM

609 posts, read 808,227 times
Isn't the grass seed capital of the world just down the road?

Old 05-17-2014, 06:33 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
Quite a way down the road in fact.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:48 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
It definitely depends on what you're allergic to. For example, I'm allergic to all kinds of trees, molds, and grass. I'm from SoCal and my allergies bugged me more down there than up here. After I moved up here and I truly was afraid of what Spring would bring, all the flowers and pollen in the air, and guess what? It hasn't bothered me one bit. Not one bit at all. The only time things bother me here is when it's dry, windy, and warm (as a combination, not individually).

So obviously for me, moving here for allergies is a great idea. I don't have any. For others, it could be way worse. You have to figure what you're allergic to, what triggers them, and if things here would bother you. BTW, I also go to Hawaii and have no issues even with all the flora. It's just not dry like it in here sometimes or in SoCal.

But, you see, I also know what triggers my allergies. It's not the trees, molds, grass, or flora. It's the dry, windy, warmth. Disclaimer: I take Zyrtec daily for skin allergies that aren't related to nature so that obviously helps my nature-related allergies too. But I've never been without an allergy attack for so long in my life.

If you want to see if you're allergic or not, visit for a week, don't take anything, get outside, etc. Try and visit when you'd be most allergic. So for me, I'd visit during the summer when it's more dry. Allergic to pollen, visit now, but when it's not raining if you can. Allergic to mold? Visit in the winter. Etc. I'd also suggest the panel for local flora, however, I'm not sure how accurate that is seeing as how I'm fine around trees, molds, and grass yet the panel said I'm very allergic.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:47 AM

146 posts, read 300,246 times
Has anyone ever had immunotherapy shots to get their allergies under control? If so, how did it go?

Old 05-22-2014, 12:12 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dent_arthur_dent View Post
Has anyone ever had immunotherapy shots to get their allergies under control? If so, how did it go?
You're asking for anecdata, on a subject where you probably should instead look for medical research.

But I'll bite. My mom had years of immunotherapy shots, and thinks it helped. When I was a kid I had treatment for two of my worst triggers - one improved and the other didn't. For my more seasonal allergies, I haven't pursued it. I have a co-worked whose done it with minimal benefit.

But I suspect the choice to pursue it depends on the severity as well as the number of triggers.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:02 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dent_arthur_dent View Post
Yeah. It's a nuisance to go in for shots very 3 weeks, but it reduced my symptoms a bit and put an end to my asthma attacks.

It's not a miracle cure and I don't think it works the same for everyone, but it is worth a try, if you can afford it. You have to keep going. It's not a three shots and done deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: