Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,271,200 times

Advertisements

That just makes them freaks, not mainstream. Looking for exceptions does not create normal or acceptable.

Even the call centers have dismissed people for having excessive tattoo's. I know that for a certainty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 05:48 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,034,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
That just makes them freaks, not mainstream. Looking for exceptions does not create normal or acceptable.

Even the call centers have dismissed people for having excessive tattoo's. I know that for a certainty.
Tattoos don't make people freaks Steve. The world has change a lot from the one you are use to. A number of businesses are fine with people having tattoos these days in Portland.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 13,019 times
Hello BlabberPuff,

First of all, don't let yourself get too discouraged by the negative responses on here. Most of them are. Look at just about any thread and you will see that most of the responses are negative in nature (unfortunately). Point being, there are people out there who want to crush your dreams because they are unfulfilled with their own lives, try to ignore them.
Now, will your move across the country present challenges? Yes, but that does not make it impossible, or even improbable. It sounds like you are in a situation where you can save alot of money once you find a job (assuming you can continue living with your father).

Here are a few tips I have (I have moved across the country a time or two ):

1. Make a budget. List all of your current expenses vs your current income. Figure out how much you can save per month.
2. Stick to your budget!
3. Do some reconnaissance and try to make a proposed budget for when you move to Portland. Rent.com and CraigsList are good options for getting an idea of how much rent will be.
4. Try to save up enough money for your move (gas, moving truck, etc.), your initial expenses (first month's rent, security deposit, etc.) and at least 2 months expenses before you leave your current area.
5. When you are within a month or so of moving put an application in with some employment agencies in Portland. Also, do some applying on your own. Again, I have found success with craigslist (but depending on the area, it may not be as helpful).
6. You may find it much cheaper (and easier) to rent a room rather than an apartment at first. if you decide to go this route be careful! You may enlist your father's advice here.
7. Having a dog does make it tough, but I have done it.
8. Be prepared to have a cosigner for an apartment, because you are young and this is likely your first rental most places will want one.

Stay positive and continue to pursue this dream. Moving away from home was one of the best things I ever did. It may be difficult, but it will be worth it!

Old 06-03-2014, 01:13 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,829,393 times
Recent editorial regarding "body art" acceptance in PDX
Portland's tolerance is overrated: Guest opinion | OregonLive.com

Old 06-03-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Someone should have told Rory that facial tattoos aren't usually the best idea. Just because Portland is more liberal and accepting doesn't mean you can get poorly done face tattoos and not expect that to work against you.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:58 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,101,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
Problem is, that's one person's experience. And I'd guess even he would admit that his "body art" is extreme. So here you've got this guy who's come recently to gown. He has two degrees (he doesn't say in what). Sounds like he doesn't have the best job history. And he's trying to get a job in a town where it's already difficult to get a job. And that's without all those strikes against him. I'd class his troubles in with those people with big dogs who can't understand why they can't find a landlord who wants to rent to them. There are too many more attractive (and I'm not talking physically) people to choose from.

He sounds like another transplant who was expecting nirvana, and didn't find it. Portland isn't perfect. Lots of people will still have prejudices. Heck, you only have to look at the few locals posting here to see that. And this is a very small sampling. Besides, he's not talking about having garbage thrown at him on the streets, being called names, or people unwilling to wait on him in stores. He's talking about not being able to find a job. He's not alone in that.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:52 PM

10,987 posts, read 20,482,815 times
It is one thing to have a small tat, like a rose, on the inside just above your ankle vs tats on your face and arms. Yes, each of us has the right to do what ever we want tat-wise but let me assure you it can be a significant impediment to employment. In this market decreasing your odds even 20% is tough.

Old 06-04-2014, 12:39 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,418,886 times
It's going to be tough to find a decent "corporate" job anywhere if you have any kind of face or neck tattoo.
I wouldn't hire an engineer that would have to deal with international or national customers if he or she had face tats.

But I wouldn't care if the guy "general contracting" and building my new house had them.
It just depends on the situation and type of tattoo.

Seven years ago, I had to turn down a very capable woman who had a beautifully done tiny little rose tattooed below her left eye.
The tat itself was absolutely gorgeous, but my superiors said it was a no-go, and they weren't exactly that conservative either...

Even "sleeves" push it a bit.

But if you have a tattoo that can be easily covered if needed, I don't think you have to worry too much.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 06-04-2014 at 12:48 PM..

Old 06-04-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxMIKEpdx View Post
It's going to be tough to find a decent "corporate" job anywhere if you have any kind of face or neck tattoo.
I wouldn't hire an engineer that would have to deal with international or national customers if he or she had face tats.

But I wouldn't care if the guy "general contracting" and building my new house had them.
It just depends on the situation and type of tattoo.

Seven years ago, I had to turn down a very capable woman who had a beautifully done tiny little rose tattooed below her left eye.
The tat itself was absolutely gorgeous, but my superiors said it was a no-go, and they weren't exactly that conservative either...

Even "sleeves" push it a bit.

But if you have a tattoo that can be easily covered if needed, I don't think you have to worry too much.
That is why sleeves and body tattoos are acceptable, they are much easier to cover. One could have tattoo sleeves and keep them covered while working a white collar job.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:37 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,271,200 times
My grand daughter got a great promotion from a shifty Call Center in Eugene to the Enterprise Call Center in Eugene. Great job, more money. Instructions to not show tattoos. She said she was hot, rolled up her sleeves, and was terminated immediately. That was at a "Call Center". No public. Don't tell me it is accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland