Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 12:50 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,293,324 times

Advertisements

Call Centers support a lot of the locals
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 02:40 PM

62 posts, read 121,730 times
Quote:
Was there any demand for what you have a degree in in Portland? It all depends on what the job field one is looking in, not every type of job is in high demand here.

Yes, there is a high demand in this field especially if you have a degree from OHSU. They are one of the holy grails when it comes to Informatics (I have found it especially true for their Clinical tract); that is why they keep a lot of their own graduates as employees. I had interviews with a few hospitals systems and even WebMD in NW but the pay was not there. It was my experience that they pay less because they can. There are sooo many people moving here that when they are offered a job they take it and will worry about the salary later since the competition is so tight.

This below market is not unique to the PDX area, I have experienced the same thing in other places that are viewed as great to live in. One example that comes to mind is Corpus Christi, TX where I know for a fact clinical folks have taken a large cuts in salary to be able to live where they can go windsurfing and kiteboarding almost all year long. It all just comes down to what makes you happy

Last edited by OscarLevant; 08-18-2014 at 02:43 PM.. Reason: forgot to include quote

Old 08-18-2014, 02:48 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,097,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarLevant View Post
Yes, there is a high demand in this field especially if you have a degree from OHSU. They are one of the holy grails when it comes to Informatics (I have found it especially true for their Clinical tract); that is why they keep a lot of their own graduates as employees. I had interviews with a few hospitals systems and even WebMD in NW but the pay was not there. It was my experience that they pay less because they can. There are sooo many people moving here that when they are offered a job they take it and will worry about the salary later since the competition is so tight.

This below market is not unique to the PDX area, I have experienced the same thing in other places that are viewed as great to live in. One example that comes to mind is Corpus Christi, TX where I know for a fact clinical folks have taken a large cuts in salary to be able to live where they can go windsurfing and kiteboarding almost all year long. It all just comes down to what makes you happy
If it was a high demand job, then the pay would be above market, but seeing the supply is higher than the demand they are able to pay below market. But it is true, it is best to live where one is happy.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:12 AM

8 posts, read 10,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Huh? If you were broke in Portland that was your fault, not Portland's fault.
Really? I mean really? You think I traveled 3000+ miles with no money. I have worked in IT for over 15 years I had plenty of money. In fact I brought more money with me than the time I moved to NYC. You are out of your mind. I know you can't wrap your head around it but not everyone is a trust fund baby like in PDX. I did land a job that paid well, was it what I wanted...no not at all. Was it in Portland downtown or surrounding...no. I moved there to be in the city not to work in ****ing Tigard. They push all the techs out to Beaverton, Tigard and ****ing Hillsboro. I would rather stab my eyes out than work in corporate manufactured towns like Hillsboro. I am someone that is use to obtaining work within one to two weeks tops. This took 6 weeks to land something. Clearly there isn't enough going on it that cute little city. If you would call it a city, it is more of a town. I didn't just move there on a whim my family has been in Portland for over 15 years! I couldn't keep that **** job since I had to leave for Tampa Florida to take care of my sick mother.

Unfortunately I am going to have to go back to PDX to move my mother in Tampa to the rest of the family. I decided to get work here in Tampa while I take care of her and keep my resume current. I landed a high paying tech job at Verizon Business within 3 ****ing days! They hired me over the phone with no face to face interview.

Once I get them out there I will try again I guess. I am hoping there will be more going on in the job market in the fall. I do like Portland, the food, water, air are a lot better but the job market is totally ****ed up. The women are kind of blah....I mean if you frequent the BBW section of the suicide girls website you will be in hog heaven! Other than that I just want to be close to my family.

I can confirm Florida is a complete **** hole!

side note: I am usually the guy that checks resumes for candidates for the IT division/department. I was always "hay this guy/gal is from the west coast, Boston/NYC is tough let's give him/her a chance". But if the PDX job market isn't more friendly this time around you can guarantee west coast people coming to the east coast to work are just going to get their resumes put into the paper shredder.

A little bitter? Maybe

It's food for thought at least.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoast617 View Post
Really? I mean really? You think I traveled 3000+ miles with no money. I have worked in IT for over 15 years I had plenty of money. In fact I brought more money with me than the time I moved to NYC. You are out of your mind. I know you can't wrap your head around it but not everyone is a trust fund baby like in PDX. I did land a job that paid well, was it what I wanted...no not at all. Was it in Portland downtown or surrounding...no. I moved there to be in the city not to work in ****ing Tigard. They push all the techs out to Beaverton, Tigard and ****ing Hillsboro. I would rather stab my eyes out than work in corporate manufactured towns like Hillsboro. I am someone that is use to obtaining work within one to two weeks tops. This took 6 weeks to land something. Clearly there isn't enough going on it that cute little city. If you would call it a city, it is more of a town. I didn't just move there on a whim my family has been in Portland for over 15 years! I couldn't keep that **** job since I had to leave for Tampa Florida to take care of my sick mother.

Unfortunately I am going to have to go back to PDX to move my mother in Tampa to the rest of the family. I decided to get work here in Tampa while I take care of her and keep my resume current. I landed a high paying tech job at Verizon Business within 3 ****ing days! They hired me over the phone with no face to face interview.

Once I get them out there I will try again I guess. I am hoping there will be more going on in the job market in the fall. I do like Portland, the food, water, air are a lot better but the job market is totally ****ed up. The women are kind of blah....I mean if you frequent the BBW section of the suicide girls website you will be in hog heaven! Other than that I just want to be close to my family.

I can confirm Florida is a complete **** hole!

side note: I am usually the guy that checks resumes for candidates for the IT division/department. I was always "hay this guy/gal is from the west coast, Boston/NYC is tough let's give him/her a chance". But if the PDX job market isn't more friendly this time around you can guarantee west coast people coming to the east coast to work are just going to get their resumes put into the paper shredder.

A little bitter? Maybe

It's food for thought at least.
Cute rant, and that still isn't Portland's problem. It sounds like you moved to a flooded market and then we're upset when everything didn't go your way. It is good you found something that is a better fit for you. I have never been to Tampa, and know nothing about that city, so I can't really comment on it.

It is a shame you will be using your bitter attitude against anyone seeking work where you are just because they are from the west coast, especially seeing they are probably someone like you that is trying to move away from a flooded market.

As for girls, that is completely just preference. I personally think the girls in Portland look much healthier, and are much more cute than other places I have lived, heck, Portland is where I found my wife.

I hope your move to a new city will help and I hope you will eventually stop blaming your problems on a city just because you chose to move there. I hated my time living in the NYC metro, but I don't blame NYC for my financial struggles. I did however figure out that I was much happier in Portland and that I have plenty of job opportunities in a city I am much happier to be living in, so I moved back to Portland.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:49 PM

846 posts, read 607,003 times
here is a link that says Oregon is third for states where it is hardest to find full time work.

States Where It Is Hardest to Find Full-Time Work - 24/7 Wall St.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
here is a link that says Oregon is third for states where it is hardest to find full time work.

States Where It Is Hardest to Find Full-Time Work - 24/7 Wall St.
That is two year old data, Oregon has an unemployment rate of 6.9 now.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:14 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,512,261 times
IMHO it really depends on your skills. For example highly skilled tech professionals in the Silicon Valley have more employment opportunities in that market than highly skilled graphic artists.

In Portland metro it appears that we have more than graphic artists and culinary school graduates to meet market demand.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:23 AM

846 posts, read 607,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is two year old data, Oregon has an unemployment rate of 6.9 now.

my apologies. Old link. This link is the latest stat which has Oregon 4th instead of 3rd.
States Where It's Hardest to Find Full-Time Work Include Nevada, California - 24/7 Wall St.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
my apologies. Old link. This link is the latest stat which has Oregon 4th instead of 3rd.
States Where It's Hardest to Find Full-Time Work Include Nevada, California - 24/7 Wall St.
No worries, accidentally using old data sometimes happens. Oregon as a whole is very rural and small town like, which there are many rural parts of the state that are still struggling. Portland is at 6.0 unemployment and dropping which is good, though not as good as Seattle which is at 4.0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland