Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 06:40 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
How would the average/year over ten years differ from a year? In fact as ten years passed, at least my high dividend investments would grow, meaning a higher ratio of taxable investment income compared to spending (sales tax savings) which usually decreases in retirement.

The above said, I just tallied up my spending during the past year, figured the sales tax savings living in Portland (against 8.4% sales tax in Vancouver), and the difference was only a couple of thousand; plus as a bonus settling in Portland, where I will be buying a new car with cash, I will save another $1600 or so on arrival in Oregon by not paying that new car sales tax!

The average person is likely to make at least a few big-ticket purchases over a ten-year period e.g. car, major appliances, major home repairs or replacements (like say a new roof). You may well not make any such purchases in a single year, but you will almost certainly make several over a decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 09:08 AM

428 posts, read 809,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Oregon has a graduated income tax, so not all of your income will be taxed at that rate. There is a limited adjustment to taxable income for the federal income tax you pay, plus your personal exemption; Social Security is also exempt. I think approx your first $10K dividend income will not be taxed. Then you have marginal tax rates of 5% and 7% before you hit the higher rate you mentioned. So I think your dividends will end up taxed around 8 percent
nice! i think all that makes it worth living in OR over Vancouver WA. I am letting go of living in Vancouver, Oregon looks doable tax-wise from all this great information. Now I am just looking at the 'doom and gloom overcast gray skies and rain' issues, initially a worry, perhaps valid, but maybe not, for me (coming from Duluth MN). I found some nice data charts on hourly cloud cover in Portland throughout the year and am going to post that this morning with a few questions. Data charts sometimes get more at the truth than people's emotions and perceptions on weather.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:24 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,330,650 times
Quote:
The average person is likely to make at least a few big-ticket purchases over a ten-year period e.g. car, major appliances, major home repairs or replacements (like say a new roof). You may well not make any such purchases in a single year, but you will almost certainly make several over a decade.

Nice to see someone understood the basic mechanics of my comment. The reality is they are about the same. It cost a finite amount of dollars to run a state. The source of those dollars may vary, but the amount in total from all sources remains the same. Now South Dakota is another story.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:05 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,824,700 times
Quote:
Oregon has a graduated income tax, so not all of your income will be taxed at that rate. There is a limited adjustment to taxable income for the federal income tax you pay, plus your personal exemption; Social Security is also exempt. I think approx your first $10K dividend income will not be taxed. Then you have marginal tax rates of 5% and 7% before you hit the higher rate you mentioned. So I think your dividends will end up taxed around 8 percent
Oregon Income Tax Rates for 2014 9% after $16,300...some super duper graduation.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:12 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
So I am looking to possibly move to the Portland area, or maybe Vancouver WA because of the tax situation. I really would like to move to Portland, but the 9.9% state of OR personal state income tax versus the 0% personal state income tax in Vancouver just across the bridge kind of makes it a no brainer for a retiree, right? Or is there any way to legally avoid some of that ~10% taxation by Oregon, that would then let me move to OR instead of Vancouver WA? One thing I do not understand is I just read on the web how the State of Oregon does not impose: Business and occupations tax"; I don't understand that-- does that mean i could e.g. form an LLC for film production and my LLC would not be subject to Oregon state taxes?
Not make more than $125,000.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:41 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Oregon Income Tax Rates for 2014 9% after $16,300...some super duper graduation.
Exactly. Oregon's "graduated" income tax is laughable. It goes up so quickly that it's effectively only graduated if you're working for near minimum wage. And it's actually 9% after $8,150 if you're single.

And what's even worse, the tax actually winds up being regressive in some cases.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:06 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Exactly. Oregon's "graduated" income tax is laughable. It goes up so quickly that it's effectively only graduated if you're working for near minimum wage. And it's actually 9% after $8,150 if you're single.

And what's even worse, the tax actually winds up being regressive in some cases.
Despite that, I still come out pretty even. I figure I'm either paying a 9% income tax, or a 5% income tax and a 5% sales tax. I paid a 6.7% effective rate in 2013; I found that actually puts me ahead of Virginia (where I moved from) that taxes 1) Income at 5.5% 2)consumption at 6% and 3) the value of your car at 5% or so. I probably saved a hundred dollars or two overall moving here.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:58 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,027 times
Quote:
Perhaps the average person, but those who are renters such as myself definitely fall out of that equation. The income tax is a far worse prospect for me, paying income tax on every dollar I make vs. paying sales tax only on taxable items.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
The best tax situation is to live in Vancouver, and do all of your major purchases across the river in Portland. We drive down there (or through on vacations) from the Seattle area and always try to time it to any major purchases that will fit in the car (or take the truck.) It's nice when you can save 10% on something like a $700 I-Pad and you are going there anyway so it's not additional gas.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:35 AM

846 posts, read 609,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Nice to see someone understood the basic mechanics of my comment. The reality is they are about the same. It cost a finite amount of dollars to run a state. The source of those dollars may vary, but the amount in total from all sources remains the same. Now South Dakota is another story.

again, conjectures and assumptions about tax equality does not equate to factual outcome. It is merely an opinion.

As for income tax versus sales tax:

Penalizing a person for having a job while rewarding others for not working is not a fair system. Everyone should have to contribute in paying taxes. The sales tax allows everyone to have "skin" in the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: