Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2014, 01:44 AM

854 posts, read 1,481,474 times

Advertisements

I've always felt like Burnside was "the" main street of Portland, even though there is also a Main Street. Burnside is to Portland what Yonge St is to Toronto in my opinion - sort of the major axis of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 02:36 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
I think 82nd has more traffic and more business activity than Burnside, which is really important only between 23rd on the west side and 28th on the east side.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:52 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,923,967 times
I've only been living in the city for two months, what do I know, but... ... is there really an answer to a question like this? Sandy Blvd., Hawthorne, Morrison, 21st, Glisan... ... all of them have oodles of the usual suspects, but also unique and niche boutiques and shops and somewhere along the length of all of them will be zoning for automotive repair establishments etc. 21st even has a large gas station at Lombard right in the heart of town. Is Broadway in NYC a better street than Madison Ave. or 5th Ave? Broadway is longer than any other street in Manhattan... if size is the criteria that is uppermost then... I guess Broadway will take home the trophy, but I think a reasonable assumption is that it is the gestalt, the collective contributions of all the various streets, avenues and boulevards that give a city character, and incidentally makes Portland the best city in the west.

H

Old 08-05-2014, 10:20 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times
Compared to some other cities, Portland isn't really a city of grand streets or avenues or boulevards, it's more a city of small neighborhoods(like a collection of villages)... Like Burnside is supposedly a major street, but once you get east of 28th, it turns into a curving 2-lane residential drive and further out most traffic goes to Stark/Washington. The commercial activity is centered on neighborhood hubs rather than along The major streets that go across the city(and out into the greater metro) include everything from Lombard, Powell, 82nd, MLK/McLoughlin/99(though a highway in parts), Division, Barbur, and Macadam--though I don't think you can pick just one as being the main street of Portland. Everything is too segmented. It's different than a place like Albuquerque where Central Avenue crosses the entire city east-west and goes through past a number of the central areas of the city or Denver with Colfax Avenue.

Burnside might be the closest thing though that Portland has to a street that manages to cross such a wide range of the neighborhoods of the city--hitting everything from the woods of the West Hills and gentrified 23rd and Goose Hollow to the homeless filled streets of Old Town to the trendy inner-east side to posh Laurelhurst and middle-class North Tabor/ Montavilla to the immigrant and working class filled Eastside. It's one of the only streets you can keep driving east-west across the river and just keep going either way--one way you'll end up in suburban Washington County and Barnes Road and the other will take you all the way to 26 heading out to Mount Hood past Gresham. Though on the other hand it's not even the most major street on the Eastside once you get further out.

I don't know it there's one street I'd call the most important though in Portland--the important street in one area can be basically ignored by someone living on another side of town or the metro. I used to be stuck taking Barbur everywhere when I lived in SW; now it's basically a place I drive to a few times a year when I'm hitting up the Barbur World Foods market. Powell is a east-west major street for the Eastside, but once you get over the Ross Island it turns into a maze of Kafkaesque proportions and simply ends--and I live in SE Portland and I rarely take Powell for any reason as I can get most places without going close to it.

Last edited by Deezus; 08-05-2014 at 11:17 AM..

Old 08-05-2014, 10:27 AM

978 posts, read 1,087,983 times
Probably a road people bike down. Bikes are important in portland i think

Old 08-05-2014, 10:47 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,449,584 times
Powell.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:39 PM

126 posts, read 153,602 times
Whatever street you get stuck in traffic least on.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:46 PM

865 posts, read 2,500,770 times
If the criteria was a very long street that bisects much of the metro area and a diversity of neighborhoods, I'd suggest the following (actually based on Trimet bus lines):

E Burnside through the downtown bus mall and out SW Barbur Blvd.
NE MLK through to SE McGloughlin
NE to SE 82nd Ave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: