Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 07:04 PM

67 posts, read 83,227 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been looking for a great home for about 9 months. Long story short, we 'lost' two homes.
We made an offer on a home that we really liked in Laurelhurst. My realtor told me to make a full price offer. We told him we could only offer 94% of asking price. I asked if I should just make the one high, all-in offer, and his thought was to offer 92% as he was certain the sellers would counter. Then we could make our final offer. A few hours later, we learned that the sellers received 2 offers ABOVE asking price. And they accepted the highest offer with no chance to sweeten the deal. So that was a learning process.
We looked for a few more months and were so burned out that we made a cut off date by which we'd either make an offer or try again in a few years.
I found another home which needed a lot of TLC but loved the location. Close to the school and Max. Anyway, we offered above asking price and we were in! Then the house failed inspection. Miserably. Chimney repair, leaking roof, lead based paint issues, asbestos popcorn ceilings, plumbing problems, electrical issues, cracked foundation, you get the idea. Sellers did not want to address any of the issues and did not want to reduce the price!
Well we're tired and disappointed and we still love Portland. We really enjoyed the Laurelhurst neighborhood a lot. We will try again as I said in a few years. I like the neighborhood, the highly rated school, the proximity to the Max line, the great park...

I'd like to ask if there are similar parts of Portland that I should look into. Irvington and Sellwood had been suggested but there is no quick and easy transport to the airport (which I need for work) and we liked Irvington but their school's rating was discouraging.
Any recommendations? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 07:21 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,311,117 times
Keep Trying. Keep Looking.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:39 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,532,888 times
You were shopping in 'high season', when families with school age children want to seal a deal so that their child starts in their school in September. The real estate market may be better for you in the winter.. say Nov-March.. when not so many will be looking to buy.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:00 PM

416 posts, read 870,640 times
I second the notion to buy in the winter months. I bought into a newly constructed development when they first started selling in March (closed in April), and by May/June, it was turning into a bidding war as supplies were constrained and people were all looking to buy.

Winter brings better prices due to the lack of overall interest.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:13 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,897,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbodawg View Post
My wife and I have been looking for a great home for about 9 months. Long story short, we 'lost' two homes.
We made an offer on a home that we really liked in Laurelhurst. My realtor told me to make a full price offer. We told him we could only offer 94% of asking price. I asked if I should just make the one high, all-in offer, and his thought was to offer 92% as he was certain the sellers would counter. Then we could make our final offer. A few hours later, we learned that the sellers received 2 offers ABOVE asking price. And they accepted the highest offer with no chance to sweeten the deal. So that was a learning process.
We looked for a few more months and were so burned out that we made a cut off date by which we'd either make an offer or try again in a few years.
I found another home which needed a lot of TLC but loved the location. Close to the school and Max. Anyway, we offered above asking price and we were in! Then the house failed inspection. Miserably. Chimney repair, leaking roof, lead based paint issues, asbestos popcorn ceilings, plumbing problems, electrical issues, cracked foundation, you get the idea. Sellers did not want to address any of the issues and did not want to reduce the price!
Well we're tired and disappointed and we still love Portland. We really enjoyed the Laurelhurst neighborhood a lot. We will try again as I said in a few years. I like the neighborhood, the highly rated school, the proximity to the Max line, the great park...

I'd like to ask if there are similar parts of Portland that I should look into. Irvington and Sellwood had been suggested but there is no quick and easy transport to the airport (which I need for work) and we liked Irvington but their school's rating was discouraging.
Any recommendations? Thanks
Check out the area near Laurelhurst which feeds into Laurelhurst School. The area used to be called Euclid Heights but it is in Rose City Park. It is near Providence and goes up to Halsey but north of Halsey is Beverly Cleary school feed which is a great school but major overcrowding issues.

Last edited by Yankeemama; 08-09-2014 at 10:36 PM..

Old 08-10-2014, 02:45 PM

32,606 posts, read 47,873,838 times
It's definitely easier to buy during the winter season, but I have this to add: if the most you can afford is 94% of asking, you are probably looking at houses that are too nice for your budget. Try reducing your expectations a little bit and look several thousand dollars cheaper. They won't be as nice, but you will have a chance of getting an offer accepted.

The real estate market is hot, so sellers don't have to accept low offers.

Many home buyers must buy less house than they want and and then wait for equity to built. Eventually, they can afford to trade up to get closer to their dream home.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:05 PM

67 posts, read 83,227 times
Thanks for all of the great ideas. Now a lot of people are telling me to try in winter. What I find amazing is that buyers are in bidding wars in the summer and suddenly in winter that disappears! It is what it is I guess!

Old 08-10-2014, 09:10 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,532,888 times
Here is why that USUALLY happens: Families don't want to move their children during the school year, sellers are either childless, downsizing older adults, or families being transferred by their employer. On the buy side few families are in the market because they don't want to transfer their kids, other families have been moved by their employer, older adults don't enjoy moving their stuff in rainy weather.

There just aren't as many buyers as sellers.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:03 AM

638 posts, read 1,176,877 times
Agreed. We got a great price on a great house in February.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:31 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,609,355 times
The Fed states they're planning to roll back QE in October, which will likely lead to higher mortgage rates.

What no one really knows is how that will impact housing prices. Sellers aren't likely to rush into wanting to take a lower sales price for various reasons, but if buyers are dependent on mortgage to secure the home and can't flex on monthly PITI, over the long term something will have to give.

In any case, if rates do raise this fall, it's quite possible this winter might be a deviation from the norm of finding 'bargains' at least for anyone who is dependent on financing to purchase.

But of course, only time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: