Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2014, 12:13 PM

16 posts, read 20,347 times

Advertisements

I'm doing a research project on Portland retailers and I'd like your help. When you think about uniquely Portland retail shops what names come to mind? These shouldn't be the well knows (like Powell books) but rather lesser known but stellar neighborhood or local retailers.

Specifically I'm looking for shops that are:
* Innovative / Entrepreneurial
* Include experiential aspects as part of the retail experience
* Have a sustainability angle
* [optional] Related to arts & culture
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 12:50 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,618,677 times
There's a shop that really does put a bird on it:

Northeast Portland: Does Portlandia 'Put a Bird on It' Skit Mock Queen Bee Creations? | OregonLive.com

Old 08-28-2014, 12:58 PM

Exactly the kind I was thinking of. I'd like to get about 20, if possible. Thanks bler144.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:03 PM

73 posts, read 183,495 times
Beam and Anchor is both a retail shop and workshop - Beam & Anchor | Carefully curated retail store. Creative space. Local makers.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:34 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,879,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron-a View Post
I'm doing a research project on Portland retailers and I'd like your help. When you think about uniquely Portland retail shops what names come to mind? These shouldn't be the well knows (like Powell books) but rather lesser known but stellar neighborhood or local retailers.

Specifically I'm looking for shops that are:
* Innovative / Entrepreneurial
* Include experiential aspects as part of the retail experience
* Have a sustainability angle
* [optional] Related to arts & culture
Does your instructor know you're trying to get everyone else to do your research for you?

Old 09-08-2014, 07:52 AM

Hi rah62

Sorry for the misunderstanding. No this isn't for a university project. I haven't been in undergrad for several decades. I forgive you for the assumption, easy to make based on the post!

Background: We're a small group of community volunteers (citizens) looking at supporting enhancing retail opportunities in our town. As part of this group we're looking for businesses across the country whose values and culture align similarly to our town. Call them "inspiration businesses" - who we can hold up as examples of the types of retailers we want to attract.

Born and raised in Portland but it's been a loooong time since I've been there and it's changed tremendously since I was there. I'd love to get feet on the ground but there are thousands of miles between us now.

Is NW 23rd still unique or has it become corporatized? (yeah, that's how long it's been)

Old 09-08-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Does your instructor know you're trying to get everyone else to do your research for you?
Actually... do you have a better recommendation for a remote research process to find this info? Asking members on city-specific forums (who hopefully live/lived there) seemed like a good idea. Should we throw some money at a local student or something to do the research?

Old 09-08-2014, 02:21 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
You might want to look at the retailers that belong to Supportland Incentives for Shopping Local.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:24 PM

Wowzers this is amazing. Thank you very much.

Old 09-09-2014, 03:29 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,350 times
Top Bar Hive, Warre Hive supplies, and cedar beehives | Bee Thinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland