Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 04:44 PM

61 posts, read 122,261 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved from Houston in March and bought a house in May. I found the business card of a Multnomah county real property appraiser on our door today. The back said to call to schedule an interior inspection and discuss the terms of our purchase. In Texas, we were not obligated to answer any questions about a home purchase and there was no requirement to let an appraiser into your home. Am I right to just throw the card away? Or, do I need to respond? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 04:49 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
It's my guess that you do not have to let them in to do a interior inspection.

Cut and paste this into google:
Am I obligated to let a Multnomah county appraiser into my newly purchased house to "check on building permit activity"?

Remodel & Renovate: Am I obligated to let a Multnomah county appraiser into my newly purchased house to "check on building permit activity"? - Trulia Voices

Old 09-10-2014, 08:24 PM

846 posts, read 609,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieAP3883 View Post
My husband and I moved from Houston in March and bought a house in May. I found the business card of a Multnomah county real property appraiser on our door today. The back said to call to schedule an interior inspection and discuss the terms of our purchase. In Texas, we were not obligated to answer any questions about a home purchase and there was no requirement to let an appraiser into your home. Am I right to just throw the card away? Or, do I need to respond? Thanks!!
Here in Portland ve have vays to make you comply , Fraulein.

. das ist Bescheuert

Last edited by KJoe11; 09-10-2014 at 08:54 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 08:56 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Portland has the same property tax limitation law as California.. There is appraised value and taxable value. Enter your address in www.portlandmaps.com to see the history of your house.

Here are a couple discussions to give you a picture of our property tax situation: Our Goofy Property Tax System | Blog | The City of Portland, Oregon?, Department of Revenue: Property Tax Real Property Assessment and Taxation , Portland Oregon Property Tax Rates

Old 09-11-2014, 07:50 AM

36 posts, read 55,152 times
I had a similar thing happen two years ago, I simply ignored it and I never heard from them again. They wanted to know if the attic had been finished or not.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:13 PM

61 posts, read 122,261 times
Thanks for all the feedback! We're just going to ignore it and hope our taxes don't rise too dramatically!

Old 10-04-2014, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,870 times
We closed on our home in June and just found a business card left on our door yesterday. It's from a Multnomah County Real Property Appraiser asking us to call him back for an interior inspection. Based on a couple hours of online research. It appears the majority of the time when homeowners allow an assessor into their home they have an increase in "Assessed Value" despite their "Market Value" remaining the same. This increase ranges from a few points to some people in NJ, IL and CT claiming a 70% increase in Assessed Value. Needless to say we are not letting him in for an "inspection". I'll keep this thread posted on our progress and what happens to our 2014 assessed value. Good luck Katie!

Old 10-04-2014, 11:23 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,556,080 times
Go online and look at your home on portlandmaps, see if there have been any building permits issued in the last couple years. Now look at your home to see if there has been work performed that would increase its value short of a building permit.

It is my understanding that increases in your property taxes (excluding voted assessments) are limited to 3% unless there have been modifications to the property.

That said, I don't admit strangers into my home even if they are public employees.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,124 times
We were visited by a Multnomah assessor several months ago. We did not let this person in.

We made a small room addition to unfinished space in our home six months ago. We pulled $1200 in various permits and followed all the rules. We personally went through this hassle as our contractor did not want to do it, and we quickly understood why. (We got a good deal for his work in exchange.) We endured four visits into the home by inspectors from the city permit office throughout the process, and got the final OK in writing that everything was done according to code. ENOUGH.

That, in any reasonable person's view, should be all the city needs to know about our house at this time. If there is an increased in assessed value based on the addition of this basic room, reflected in the permit records and final approval, so be it.

But (hypothetically speaking) why should I, as a recent home buyer, fear being nabbed and penalized for the failure of previous owners to pull permits for basic remodeling work, particularly when the permits required for the most basic change in your home are so outlandish as to be a joke? (A bathroom fan requires a permit and costs $250. WTF)

This is the ninth home I've owned in four states. I never experienced anything as arduous as the permitting process we endured here in Portland, way above and beyond what I felt was necessary for my safety and peace of mind as a home buyer.

No way am I giving the tax office an inch beyond what we've already gone through. If the city or county wants to enact legislation that mandates a tax inspector review inside each home and re-assessment of tax valuation at the time of each sale, then good luck to them. Until that happens, they are not getting into our house.

Last edited by toosie; 06-08-2017 at 07:04 PM.. Reason: TOS - no links yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
View detailed profiles of: