Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 02:44 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,105 times

Advertisements

When I moved out here, I came with a job in hand with the intent on paying taxes, staying out of trouble; I wanted to go backpacking, and skiing. I wanted to make new friends and try something new. I don't really care about being accepted as a native or whatever, because I am not. I just wanted to see another beautiful part of this country.

I couldn't help but to notice that there are a lot of transplants from the east coast who just harp on being accepted as "Oregonians." I couldn't help but to notice that the natives here find this mindset very obnoxious and generally just don't care about the title. What are your thoughts on this phenomenon of some east coast transplants being obsessed with being accepted as being an "Oregonian?" I think it's weird and think said transplants should just be themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 03:32 PM

10,988 posts, read 20,554,439 times
As a descendent of Oregon Pioneers I enjoy meeting transplants. Each of us become Oregonians when we call Oregon home.

Old 09-13-2014, 04:30 PM

76 posts, read 129,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
When I moved out here, I came with a job in hand with the intent on paying taxes, staying out of trouble; I wanted to go backpacking, and skiing. I wanted to make new friends and try something new. I don't really care about being accepted as a native or whatever, because I am not. I just wanted to see another beautiful part of this country.

I couldn't help but to notice that there are a lot of transplants from the east coast who just harp on being accepted as "Oregonians." I couldn't help but to notice that the natives here find this mindset very obnoxious and generally just don't care about the title. What are your thoughts on this phenomenon of some east coast transplants being obsessed with being accepted as being an "Oregonian?" I think it's weird and think said transplants should just be themselves.

This phenomena is not isolated as an East Coast/West Coast thing. My wife and brother-in-law moved from Texas a few months back and he has had the mindset of making sure he does not seem like he's from Texas. I kind of agreed in the beginning of the journey as I did not know what to expect.

Now after being here and experiencing this firsthand I realize what a ridiculous thought that was. In hindsight it reminds me of something that happened on a vaca in Sedona AZ. We were in a store looking at different stones from the area and a lady noticed a gentlemen with an foreign accent and she asked the guy, "Where are you from?" - his reply was priceless. He looked up and said, "Earth, where are you from?".

Everywhere you go; there you are.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:13 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,904,959 times
I have lived all over the country but when asked, "where are you from", I say, "originally, California, specifically San Francisco". I now live in (insert city). That's it, folks. It's not a hard question. Just answer simply. I hate when you ask the question and someone responds with NYC. You say, "oh, what neighborhood did you grow up in?" and then the person says, "oh, I grew up in Ohio but I came to NYC for college. I feel like NY is my home." Yes, this is a true story. I remember thinking to myself..."what a poser!" Just be yourself, people. Be yourself.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:04 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Not sure I have noticed this with East Coast transplants here, The people who I know that are born and bred Oregonians are all proud Oregonians. I spent an early portion of my life growing up in the Northwest before moving to the East Coast because I was in a military family, but I have never considered myself much of an East Coaster. Since my parents, my sister, and I moved back to the Northwest, I have cut my ties to the East Coast and have no feelings for a place I spent a portion of my life. For all purposes, I see myself very much an Oregonian and happy to enjoy all that this area has to offer and look forward to raising a child here.

For the OP, have you been hanging out at places where there are people that try to be accepted as "true Oregonians?" I remember back in my single days most of the transplants I met were typically proud of their hometown and considered themselves a native to where they are from rather than trying to get people to accept the as Oregonians. Though I am not sure I even understand what your idea of what a true Oregonian is, I think anyone who moves here who wishes to put down roots here can consider themselves an Oregonian if they want, there really isn't any official rules. Though this could be applied with anywhere one chooses to live.

Old 09-14-2014, 12:41 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,067,815 times
Oregonians remind me of Hawaiians. They're proud of their state, proud of the people who are from there and make it big, proud of the little companies (or big ones), proud of everything Oregonian (Hawaiian). I'm from CA and we couldn't careless about our state. There is no pride really, maybe just some bragging, well a lot if you're in certain areas.

So, unless you start to truly care about the state and start to be proud of everything that comes out if, but not in obnoxious way, I'm not sure how anyone can become a "true Oregonian". I love the weather here more than any native Oregonian, but then, maybe it's because I've only been here for a year, or maybe it's because I grew up on sunshine 350 days a year and am sick of it, who knows. I appreciate the beauty of the simple things more than any native Oregonian.

Besides, according to my BF, since he's a native, I'm now a native by association. Granted, he still laughs when I say "the 5", so maybe not quite.

I've never met anyone yet who has to be accepted. I just don't want to be judged because I'm from CA, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
I hate when you ask the question and someone responds with NYC. You say, "oh, what neighborhood did you grow up in?" and then the person says, "oh, I grew up in Ohio but I came to NYC for college. I feel like NY is my home." Yes, this is a true story. I remember thinking to myself..."what a poser!" Just be yourself, people. Be yourself.
Yankeemama, don't judge too harshly, maybe the person was being real. Oregon, to me, IS home. It has been from first time I visited almost 20 years ago. My heart and soul scream HOME when I'm here. And when I'd visit, I'd wonder why I wasn't living here. I've never felt that way about CA (lived there all my life) nor Hawaii (grew up going almost every year so it really is like a second home to me).

Jeez. Now I wonder if people think I'm being all hokey when they ask me why I move and I tell them exactly what I just said. Haha. Oh well.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
I spend absolutely no time thinking about being a native Oregonian. It's really is no big deal., and I really don't get those who seem to have some kind of emotional investment in being an "Oregonian."

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-14-2014 at 02:03 PM..

Old 09-14-2014, 03:17 PM

682 posts, read 1,578,153 times
I am a fourth generation Oregonian on my dad's side. It's a piece of trivia about me and that's all... especially considering that the Willamette Valley of this generation bears little resemblance to the Willamette Valley of 100 years ago (or even 30-40 years ago). Overall I find transplants to be more interesting and for the life of me I can't understand why an east coast transplant would want to try and be a "true Oregonian", whatever that is.

Be yourself... everyone else is already taken.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:43 PM

739 posts, read 1,847,516 times
I am and will always be a native NY'r no matter where I live. That was true in CT, CA and now Oregon. I respect the people of my newly-adopted state (eight years residency) and am not one who came here to change things. If I tried to become a 'true Oregonian' I'd get laughed all the way back to Yankee Stadium. I don't even whine about the pizza anymore. That doesn't mean I will learn to love it.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:46 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,904,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Oregonians remind me of Hawaiians. They're proud of their state, proud of the people who are from there and make it big, proud of the little companies (or big ones), proud of everything Oregonian (Hawaiian). I'm from CA and we couldn't careless about our state. There is no pride really, maybe just some bragging, well a lot if you're in certain areas.

So, unless you start to truly care about the state and start to be proud of everything that comes out if, but not in obnoxious way, I'm not sure how anyone can become a "true Oregonian". I love the weather here more than any native Oregonian, but then, maybe it's because I've only been here for a year, or maybe it's because I grew up on sunshine 350 days a year and am sick of it, who knows. I appreciate the beauty of the simple things more than any native Oregonian.

Besides, according to my BF, since he's a native, I'm now a native by association. Granted, he still laughs when I say "the 5", so maybe not quite.

I've never met anyone yet who has to be accepted. I just don't want to be judged because I'm from CA, haha.

Yankeemama, don't judge too harshly, maybe the person was being real. Oregon, to me, IS home. It has been from first time I visited almost 20 years ago. My heart and soul scream HOME when I'm here. And when I'd visit, I'd wonder why I wasn't living here. I've never felt that way about CA (lived there all my life) nor Hawaii (grew up going almost every year so it really is like a second home to me).

Jeez. Now I wonder if people think I'm being all hokey when they ask me why I move and I tell them exactly what I just said. Haha. Oh well.
Sorry, PsiChick, but when asked where you are from, meaning where was your home most of your childhood, your answer is a location(s), not where your heart is. My mom is from Hawaii yet I never have said I am from The islands though I have family there. I also have family in NY but when I lived there I never tried to say I am a New Yorker. It's simple. My kids are growing up here in a Oregon so no matter where they live as adults, they will tell people when asked, "I am from Oregon". Somebody who hasn't grown up here should just claim residency and love for the state. That is more real IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland