U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:59 PM

3 posts, read 4,775 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Los Angeles, the San Fernando Valley to be exact. A good majority of my family lives in Portland, and after recently losing my grandpa who lived with us we have decided to move to Portland. The only problem is we have never visited there before so we aren't very familiar with the area. Although we have family who can help us out I'd like to do a little research of my own, but just need help with getting started. We're looking for a 3 bedroom house/condo/townhome with a MAX budget of about 250,000 in a NICE and SAFE area. I'd love for anyone to recommend any suburbs that are safe, while keeping my budget in mind. All advice appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 10:07 PM

10,192 posts, read 17,124,760 times
You first need to find a job, then look for housing that meets your budget. For example, if you find employment in Beaverton/Hillsboro (on the west edge of the metro area) you don't want to live in Gresham/Happy Valley/Oregon City - the commute would be horrible. 3 bedrooms for under $250 aren't easy to find but not impossible.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:28 PM

2,289 posts, read 3,944,266 times
Generally, the further out you go the less expensive it gets. But Nell is right--you don't want to live on one side of the metro and work on the other side.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:36 PM

937 posts, read 873,415 times
i know someone that works in hillsboro and lives in oregon city. its not that bad but gresham and happy vally is to far

Old 09-16-2014, 10:59 PM

629 posts, read 1,038,746 times
First, sorry for your loss.

I *highly* recommend your family rent a vacation home for a month or two (preferably in the colder months) just so you can get a real feel for the place before making a huge commitment like buying property.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:37 AM

Thanks for all feed back so far! Because we have family that lives in Portland I know it's where were going to be going, the only thing is our family is a bit more upper class than we are so their recommendations for where to look are a bit out of our budget. Unfortunately we don't have money to waste on renting a vacation home or that would be a great option! I'm just looking for some areas that are nice and not "ghetto" or sketchy so we can begin looking at the types of homes out there and whats around the area.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseaacash View Post
Thanks for all feed back so far! Because we have family that lives in Portland I know it's where were going to be going, the only thing is our family is a bit more upper class than we are so their recommendations for where to look are a bit out of our budget. Unfortunately we don't have money to waste on renting a vacation home or that would be a great option! I'm just looking for some areas that are nice and not "ghetto" or sketchy so we can begin looking at the types of homes out there and whats around the area.
Portland is not like Los Angeles where there are countless areas to avoid (Pacoima, Canoga Park, Sun Valley, etc, etc). It's a safe city. Run a Redfin.com search with your budget maximum and look around. As a rule of thumb, the neighborhoods get more working class (what locals might call sketchy) in the far north (approaching the airport/30) and far east (east of the 205)

One up-and-coming, yet still affordable, community you might want to look at is Montavilla.

Good luck

Old 09-18-2014, 05:05 PM

4,060 posts, read 4,603,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post

One up-and-coming, yet still affordable, community you might want to look at is Montavilla.

Good luck
I could swear people have been referring to Montavilla as 'up-and-coming' 'affordable but nice!' or some such for years. Here's this 2011 thread making the same suggestion: http://www.city-data.com/forum/portl...my-family.html

It's been up and coming for years!

The catch with Montavilla being that it's really three districts in one - the 97215 (the 'nicest' area benefiting from the spillover of Tabor value), the historically less desirable area in 97216 (Sandwiched between 82nd and I-205). And then there's the section north of Burnside (all in 97213?) which falls somewhere in between in terms of gentrification.

On paper, the median sale price in Montavilla is a mere $255,000, but the majority of available properties west of 82nd under $300,000 are foreclosures - with a condo or two and a few places <1000 sqft rounding out the inventory. In the 97213 I don't see much south of Glisan that's under 300,000 - prices only start to drop as you butt up towards I-84.

Prices are lower east of 82nd, certainly, but again, you're looking at increased interstate noise, and a lot of that inventory, while certainly cheaper, are posted as foreclosure/short sales.

I'll be a bit contrarian here, but I think Montavilla is past up and coming. The median sale price is a reflection of the fact that most of what is selling there these days is distressed.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz420 View Post
Portland is not like Los Angeles where there are countless areas to avoid (Pacoima, Canoga Park, Sun Valley, etc, etc). It's a safe city. Run a Redfin.com search with your budget maximum and look around. As a rule of thumb, the neighborhoods get more working class (what locals might call sketchy) in the far north (approaching the airport/30) and far east (east of the 205)

Good luck

Yeah I've heard that there aren't many bad communities in Portland to watch out for. I've only heard some not-so-good things about Hillsboro, but we've mostly been seeing houses that interest us in Beaverton. Are there any areas to avoid in Beaverton or is it genuinely an over all good city? My family also told us about the "East side" and West side" of the river. She explained that West side is a little more nicer and has more "planned out" communities. Any cities on the West side you would recommend?

Old 09-18-2014, 11:37 PM

I think you're at the point where you need to spend some days with a nice realtor and tour some neighborhoods. It would be absolute lunacy to buy a house sight unseen in a town you've never been to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Portland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or